The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Signature Guitars - They're out of control!
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Signature Guitars - They're out of control!

Signature Guitars. Its annother way that the guitar manufacturers are trying to hose everybody.

I found this lovely tome from Guitar Center on the interweb:

"Most aspiring musicians have an artist they would like to emulate or one they simply idolize. With a signature model electric guitar, it's possible to bring a little piece of these musical icons into your own home or stage performance. These instruments were inspired by the artist themselves to give users a similar playing experience. Whether your inspiration comes from Slash, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Kurt Cobain, Carlos Santana or another musical legend, there is a signature guitar out there that is perfect for you.

The variety of signature guitars on the market is large and impressive; however you undoubtedly have one performer you revere above anyone else. If your favorite musical memories involve the jaw-dropping riffs on ‘Welcome to the Jungle or ‘Sweet Child O Mine', from Guns n' Roses, the Gibson Slash Rosso Corsa Les Paul electric guitar is sure to rock your world. Slash has a long standing relationship with Gibson and has created a number of extraordinary instruments. Any serious rocker will appreciate the long lasting sustain and striking intonation of his classic guitars. If the gritty, unmistakable Seattle Sound spoke to you, try the Fender Kurt Cobain Signature Mustang electric guitar. Unique and rebellious, this guitar gives an exceptionally smooth and ferocious sound with a hardwood body, 22 vintage-style frets and humbucking bridge pickups. On the other hand, if your love of music stems from the warm smoky sounds of jazz and the blues, choose the Fender Stevie Ray Vaughan Stratocaster electric guitar. With features like an oval neck, pao ferro fingerboard and left-handed synchronized tremolo, to help you belt out "Crossfire" and "Texas Flood", you'll feel like Stevie's in the room with you.

Whichever icon you best connect with on a musical, artistic and emotional level, there is an instrument that can appeal to your skills and talents. Whether you're a fan of the modern rock of Jimmy Eat World's Jim Adkins, the gloomy pop of the Cure's Robert Smith, or the legendary fretwork of Eddie Van Halen, you can pay homage to your favorite musician by bringing your own unique style to their signature electric guitar."

What do you all think of the signature guitar explosion? Is there anything that can be done to stop it? Is it as bad, worse, or better than artificially aged guitars? What are the issues?

Your thoughts? Discuss........

Stay safe in the water,

audioforce
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

I look forward to your fascinating post on relic'd signature guitars...
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
I look forward to your fascinating post on relic'd signature guitars...
Excellent suggestion! I actually hadn't even considered it.

Thanks!

What do you think? Maybe a separate thread?

We can start with this one, for now.

Best always,

audioforce
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Well, I'm against the relic'ing as you know. I'm on the fence on the signature guitars. There may be too many of them, but what really irks me are the sheer number of models in the Fender and Gibson lines that are mostly redundant or just outright ridiculous. How many variations of Strat can you make?? Apparently the answer is, "all of them"...
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
Well, I'm against the relic'ing as you know. I'm on the fence on the signature guitars. There may be too many of them, but what really irks me are the sheer number of models in the Fender and Gibson lines that are mostly redundant or just outright ridiculous. How many variations of Strat can you make?? Apparently the answer is, "all of them"...
Well, if they would just make all the options available a la carte, it would be nice. I don't like the idea of having to buy one with somebody else's name on it just to get a certain "feature".

If you read the blurb in the first post, from GC, its pretty easy see what a hustle it is. Mostly just a ploy to charge more.

Now there are a few models that are signature guitars that look like the endorsee really designed the thing in one way or another. But mostly they seem like just guitars that some dude plays, maybe a certain color, or some other random little differences.

I need to look into this a little more, but the other day when I was looking for guitars I started noticing that a lot of the pricey ones, with good hardware and stuff, all had some random guy's name on them.

I call shenanigans!

Best,

audioforce
Old 11th June 2019
Here for the gear

I just purchased a Jimi Hendrix signature reliced (please excuse my spelling) start. I mean Strat. I burned my strap and I really feel the mojo. But I think the headstock is backwards.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applesoggy View Post
I just purchased a Jimi Hendrix signature reliced (please excuse my spelling) start. I mean Strat. I burned my strap and I really feel the mojo. But I think the headstock is backwards.
It’s ok. Nothing you can’t fix with a belt sander, a chisel, and a blowtorch.

Make sure you wear goggles (and a Hendrix costume) when you do the modification.

Best,

audioforce
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

That's pretty funny.
Old 11th June 2019
Here for the gear

I like Signature guitars where they actually do something different. For example, the MusicMan St Vincent signature in my opinion looks awesome, and isn't a body shape they do normally, it was designed with her input and looks really different. Or the Johnny Marr Jaguar, where he sat down with the designers and they designed out some of the flaws from the original design. A lot of them are just a different colour, which I find it harder to be excited about. Different strokes and all that, though.
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Addict

a lot of people collect guitars, own more than they can possibly play, and somehow the extra $$ they spend makes them feel good about it.

I'm at the very opposite end of the spectrum - I aim to have as many as I need for gigging, and no more. I aim to optimise the $$ so I get the instruments I want at a reasonable price. I sell any that I don't need.

I'm sure most people are somewhere in between - a few go-to guitars and then maybe a couple that they own for the love of them.

Guitar makers need to make money to survive, so if other people are willing to pay a bit more for a name or a bit of sandpapering, I am happy to let them
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillyoung View Post
I like Signature guitars where they actually do something different. For example, the MusicMan St Vincent signature in my opinion looks awesome, and isn't a body shape they do normally, it was designed with her input and looks really different. Or the Johnny Marr Jaguar, where he sat down with the designers and they designed out some of the flaws from the original design. A lot of them are just a different colour, which I find it harder to be excited about. Different strokes and all that, though.
Yeah, its kind of like with a Les Paul. He seems to have actually came up with some of it, so it makes some sense.

Don't know much about St. Vincent. Is she a good player? She does seem to have gotten a lot of recognition. I should do some listening, I guess.

The guitar looks a little bit Firebird-ish, especially with the 3 mini-humbuckers. But I've heard nothing but good stuff about it. I'm pretty interested in the Musician guitars.

Best,

audioforce
Old 11th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Is there anything that can be done to stop it?
Same as with the relic'd thread: why do you think it should be stopped? Why do you think anyone should do anything about it? People want to pay monays for sig axes, why would you want to limit them in this desire?
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orson Maxwell View Post
Same as with the relic'd thread: why do you think it should be stopped? Why do you think anyone should do anything about it? People want to pay monays for sig axes, why would you want to limit them in this desire?
Well, lots can be said, but, for starters, how about individuality?

Not trying to step on anyone's rights, you understand. Just not a fan of big business pushing false values for profit.

Best,

audioforce
Old 11th June 2019
Here for the gear
Here's maybe something a little too simple to weigh up....

If you don't like, then don't buy?

If you like, then buy?
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

I own two signature basses. Both are from artists I don't care much about. I wouldn't buy a signature instrument with the name of an artist I care about on the headstock or elsewhere.
I could live with signature models from artists who really play one specific model over a long period of time. What really damages the image of both an artist and the guitar-companies are those artists who have signature models from different manufacturers. The common denominatar being that these models have not much or nothing in common with the instrument they really play.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

What's not to understand? Marketing & Psychographics. Satisfying those who identify with celebrities.
People buy Tony Hawk skateboards, Micheal Jordan shoes, Carlos Zambrano baseball gloves... and Mascis JM's.
Old 11th June 2019
Quote:
Well, lots can be said, but, for starters, how about individuality?

Not trying to step on anyone's rights, you understand. Just not a fan of big business pushing false values for profit.
Again, why do you think individuality should be paramount in all cases and for all people? I'm afraid, there are too many generalizations going on here.

Also, this is a strange little place to apply that false values stuff seeing how we have all been living in a capitalist world which is all about shaping demand to better profit from it later in all aspects of our lives.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
What's not to understand? Marketing & Psychographics. Satisfying those who identify with celebrities.
People buy Tony Hawk skateboards, Micheal Jordan shoes, Carlos Zambrano baseball gloves... and Mascis JM's.
My dad bought me my first baseball glove when I was seven years old. I loved the glove, but I also disliked the glove because it was a Pee Wee Reese model. Even at seven years old and a Dodger fan and liking Pee Wee Reese, I HATED someone else's name on my glove.

I'm the same way now. There's no way in I'm playing a guitar with someone else's name on it or associated with it. The whole idea of signature guitars is disgusting to me. If other people are into it, fine, it gets more guitars into the world and it employs people making the guitars.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
My dad bought me my first baseball glove when I was seven years old. I loved the glove, but I also disliked the glove because it was a Pee Wee Reese model. Even at seven years old and a Dodger fan and liking Pee Wee Reese, I HATED someone else's name on my glove.

I'm the same way now. There's no way in I'm playing a guitar with someone else's name on it or associated with it. The whole idea of signature guitars is disgusting to me. If other people are into it, fine, it gets more guitars into the world and it employs people making the guitars.
Yeah, same here. The Chet Atkins and Les Pauls are the exceptions in guitars; staples of quality that have survived over half a century of reputation. Gibson actually started mining this to excess back in the 50's and 60's with the jazz player signatures, and Epiphone maintained that track. Today, it's done to death with every player who has a popular song.

Clothing and such, forget about it. I don't ID with celebrities in that way. Who cares what kind of underwear MJ uses? Well... a lot of people, I guess.

Even beyond that, the success rate of marketing that suggests one can be "unique" by purchasing a mass marketed product is totally baffling. "Be one of the crowd! Be unique!"
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Addict

How about a Bill Clinton signature guitar?

you heard it here first
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Yeah, same here. The Chet Atkins and Les Pauls are the exceptions in guitars; staples of quality that have survived over half a century of reputation. [/I]
I spoke too soon regarding not playing a guitar with someone else's name on it. Chet Atkins and Les Paul's are iconic guitars and I totally agree. I own a Chet Atkins Tennessean and a Les Paul and quite frankly it never occurred to me to include them as signature guitars.

But still the thing is, if the Tennessean had been made without Chet Atkins name on it, I would have preferred it without the name.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

If someone else is inspired to play music by (insert hero) and they decide to buy something with that hero’s name on it, why should their preference affect me? Could apply this to a lot of things in this world, if it bothers you don’t buy it...easy. It’s not like there’s a shortage of guitars to choose from.
Old 11th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannis View Post
How about a Bill Clinton signature guitar?

you heard it here first
Bill Clinton is a sax player.
Old 11th June 2019
Quote:
Yeah, its kind of like with a Les Paul. He actually came up with it, so it makes sense.
Actually it was mostly designed by Ted McCarty.
Old 11th June 2019
Quote:
Signature Guitars. Its annother way that the guitar manufacturers are trying to hose everybody.

I found this lovely tome from Guitar Center on the interweb:

"Most aspiring musicians have an artist they would like to emulate or one they simply idolize. With a signature model electric guitar, it's possible to bring a little piece of these musical icons into your own home or stage performance. These instruments were inspired by the artist themselves to give users a similar playing experience. Whether your inspiration comes from Slash, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Kurt Cobain, Carlos Santana or another musical legend, there is a signature guitar out there that is perfect for you.

The variety of signature guitars on the market is large and impressive; however you undoubtedly have one performer you revere above anyone else. If your favorite musical memories involve the jaw-dropping riffs on ‘Welcome to the Jungle or ‘Sweet Child O Mine', from Guns n' Roses, the Gibson Slash Rosso Corsa Les Paul electric guitar is sure to rock your world. Slash has a long standing relationship with Gibson and has created a number of extraordinary instruments. Any serious rocker will appreciate the long lasting sustain and striking intonation of his classic guitars. If the gritty, unmistakable Seattle Sound spoke to you, try the Fender Kurt Cobain Signature Mustang electric guitar. Unique and rebellious, this guitar gives an exceptionally smooth and ferocious sound with a hardwood body, 22 vintage-style frets and humbucking bridge pickups. On the other hand, if your love of music stems from the warm smoky sounds of jazz and the blues, choose the Fender Stevie Ray Vaughan Stratocaster electric guitar. With features like an oval neck, pao ferro fingerboard and left-handed synchronized tremolo, to help you belt out "Crossfire" and "Texas Flood", you'll feel like Stevie's in the room with you.

Whichever icon you best connect with on a musical, artistic and emotional level, there is an instrument that can appeal to your skills and talents. Whether you're a fan of the modern rock of Jimmy Eat World's Jim Adkins, the gloomy pop of the Cure's Robert Smith, or the legendary fretwork of Eddie Van Halen, you can pay homage to your favorite musician by bringing your own unique style to their signature electric guitar."

What do you all think of the signature guitar explosion? Is there anything that can be done to stop it? Is it as bad, worse, or better than artificially aged guitars? What are the issues?

Your thoughts? Discuss........

Stay safe in the water,

audioforce
Why should we even care?
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Bill Clinton is a sax player.
so you think a signature guitar might not sell that well?

Maybe Tony Blair then
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Why should we even care?
Because the new "Bill Clinton signature saxophone" drops next week!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I know a friend and protege of Les Paul who had his guitar signed (on the back) with a pen knife ~ by Les Paul. Won't say who that is, but he has a great stage name.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
[INDENT]Because the new "Bill Clinton signature saxophone" drops next week!
Kind of like Dan Ackroyd signature dancing shoes
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
If someone else is inspired to play music by (insert hero) and they decide to buy something with that hero’s name on it, why should their preference affect me? Could apply this to a lot of things in this world, if it bothers you don’t buy it...easy. It’s not like there’s a shortage of guitars to choose from.
Well, I guess that's the thing. It's not the guitars themselves that bother some. It's the fact that people buy them, as if they will be more inspired to play better because their guitar has a celebrity name on it. Seems kind of shallow to some.

Personally, I couldn't care either way what other people do with their money or how they think. This marketing style permeates nearly everything that is for sale.

I have often wondered why there are not "Glyn John mics" or "Daniel Lanois monitors." Do psychographic studios inform that audio engineering people would reject such obvious manipulative association? They certainly use celebrity engineers plentifully in ads.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search