The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Signature Guitars - They're out of control!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
[...] having a hard time figuring out how signature guitars depend on the thesis of goat penis shipping. I’m sure it’s there somewhere, maybe you can help here.

Best care,

audioforce
I wonder the same thing...

...Maybe its just one of the mysteries of the universe!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
Well, I'm against the relic'ing as you know. I'm on the fence on the signature guitars. There may be too many of them, but what really irks me are the sheer number of models in the Fender and Gibson lines that are mostly redundant or just outright ridiculous. How many variations of Strat can you make?? Apparently the answer is, "all of them"...
It does make your head spin. It's not bad enough that Fender offers too numerous to count Strat models but every other maker has a guitar that looks exactly like a Strat with a their own unique head stock. I even saw a new PRS Strat-like guitar!!!! WTF. knock knock Gibson where's yours?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
My favorite laugh is the St Vincent. Geez.... she is not players' player and she gets a signature guitar?!

In contrast to this is Nita Strauss - she is a players' player. She deserves a signature guitar.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by piano View Post
My favorite laugh is the St Vincent. Geez.... she is not players' player and she gets a signature guitar?!

In contrast to this is Nita Strauss - she is a players' player. She deserves a signature guitar.
I hear you.

But I hear from Moonwhistle [who seems to know what he's talking about] that the St. Vincent is a really good guitar. And I guess she did come up with the "design", but it just seems like a Gothy Firebird to me. But I don't know, as I've never played one. And yeah, it would seem to me that she's not really that much of a guitar player, although she seems popular. I listened to some of her stuff, and I was kind of underwhelmed, but I have to say that the comments from others showed that she has a sizable following that really loves what she does.

I think Music Man is just really over the top with signature guitars generally. I have gotten pretty interested in their stuff, and I started a thread on it where nobody really had anything bad to say about them. So there's that. And I do understand the Steve Morse model, because he did literally put that thing together.

The signature guitar explosion is a pretty a bizarre scene, mostly about money, I think.

Best,

audioforce
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by piano View Post

Well, that's hard to say. Yes, I think Nita is a more accomplished player, but her sig is very close to a standard Ibanez S model.

The St. Vincent is a little more unique, although not up my alley at all.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I really like the Epiphone Lee Malia RD. I like the Gibson electronics, I like that it’s standard Gibson scale (original RDs are longer), I dig the 70s styling, even the Artisan appointments. However, that styling is distinctive enough that I think it will always be linked to the signature artist who I am not that interested in at all. So the signature aspect is a big turn off for me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlaws View Post
That's a damn good price on those!
Yeah; the "Courtney Love Signature Models" go for $34.00 a pound!
(Hope this isn't too far off-topic.)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I can only imagine what the David Gilmour models go for.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

The signature guitar explosion is a pretty a bizarre scene, mostly about money, I think.

Best,

audioforce

As opposed to what? The non-signature models that are mostly about not making money?

I have no idea what the purpose is for this waste of an ongoing thread, but signature guitars have been out since Gene Autry singing cowboy guitars and aren't going away anytime soon so you may want to just deal with it.

Tal Farlow to Zack Wilde, they are gonna' be there. The annoying part is as you get older the names on the signature guitars are ones you have never heard before. Just the name of the game.

You can either grab a waterhose and yell at the kids to stay off your lawn or pretend the kids don't exist. I'm in the latter camp...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlaws View Post
I can only imagine what the David Gilmour models go for.
Yeah, but I understand that all the money goes to charity, so...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have no idea what the purpose is for this waste of an ongoing thread, but signature guitars have been out since Gene Autry singing cowboy guitars and aren't going away anytime soon so you may want to just deal with it.
...Well, I was laboring under the impression that the very purpose of this thread WAS to "deal with it"!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
As opposed to what? The non-signature models that are mostly about not making money?
As opposed to the models that are about making a fair profit for a worthwhile product without artificially inflating the cost based on fakery.

Quote:

Tal Farlow to Zack Wilde, they are gonna' be there. The annoying part is as you get older the names on the signature guitars are ones you have never heard before. Just the name of the game.
That stuff has already been addressed, I believe. We’re just discussing things. You don’t have to participate if you don’t want to.

Quote:
You can either grab a waterhose and yell at the kids to stay off your lawn or pretend the kids don't exist. I'm in the latter camp...
You can stay on the lawn if you like, but I’m going to turn the sprinklers on. Have fun. : )

Thanks for posting.

Best,

audioforce
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can stay on the lawn if you like, but I’m going to turn the sprinklers on. Have fun.
I am not an attorney, but I would still be remiss if I did not advise you that this statement (coupled with actually placing a sprinkler upon your lawn) might just result in legal problems for you (should any of these children be harmed as a result):

At this time of year (at least where I live) this is what in law is referred to as an "attractive nuisance"!

...Of course this post is NOT to be construed as legal advice (nor even necessarily for human consumption).
YMMV
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
I am not an attorney, but I would still be remiss if I did not advise you that this statement (coupled with actually placing a sprinkler upon your lawn) might just result in legal problems for you (should any of these children be harmed as a result):

At this time of year (at least where I live) this is what in law is referred to as an "attractive nuisance"!

...Of course this post is NOT to be construed as legal advice (nor even necessarily for human consumption).
YMMV
Oh. Well, I think it’ll be OK.

Best,

audioforce
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Just seeing this thread. I own an artist signature Fender Jazz Bass. It’s a US manufactured Fender and it’s priced kinda in the upper middle of the American <place descriptive moniker here> Series ($1,500 to $1,800). I bought it for the feel and tone as it fit my quite subjective requirements better than any other American Fender J Bass. The US made ones tend to hold their value better and while I don’t have plans to even sell it, I do consider such in my decision making process. Most likely my bass playing son will inherit it from me. My point is that the “Artist Signature element” did not seem to adversely effect the price point, given the the cost of its similar neighbors in the Fender Line. Do I care that it’s a recreation of the bass that this given artist used during their career. No. It just suits my needs and it’s not some $5k Picasso-esque boutique build.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul1963 View Post
Just seeing this thread. I own an artist signature Fender Jazz Bass. It’s a US manufactured Fender and it’s priced kinda in the upper middle of the American <place descriptive moniker here> Series ($1,500 to $1,800). I bought it for the feel and tone as it fit my quite subjective requirements better than any other American Fender J Bass. The US made ones tend to hold their value better and while I don’t have plans to even sell it, I do consider such in my decision making process. Most likely my bass playing son will inherit it from me. My point is that the “Artist Signature element” did not seem to adversely effect the price point, given the the cost of its similar neighbors in the Fender Line. Do I care that it’s a recreation of the bass that this given artist used during their career. No. It just suits my needs and it’s not some $5k Picasso-esque boutique build.
Well, if there's not something about the bass that the "signature artist" came up with, then the mere fact that its a model he played doesn't really warrant a special "signature model edition" in my view. But I see your point in that its a bass that has the features that you wanted and it didn't cost any more than others, so WTF. I guess I would rather not have a bass with someone else's name on it just because they played that stock model, but whatever, as long as you didn't get ripped off. I say just play good music with it.

Best,

audioforce
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Own a 99 Clapton Strat. Love it. To my knowledge the vintage frets (reason I bought the guitar) are not available on any other Strat that is not custom or vintage. Therefore, this signature guitar is the only way to get what I want at a reasonable cost.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundchaserxyz View Post
Own a 99 Clapton Strat. Love it. To my knowledge the vintage frets (reason I bought the guitar) are not available on any other Strat that is not custom or vintage. Therefore, this signature guitar is the only way to get what I want at a reasonable cost.
Yeah, that's the point. Too bad you have to order something with someone else's name on it to get what is simply a stock guitar. But it nice that you like the guitar.

Best,

audioforce
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I hear you.

But I hear from Moonwhistle [who seems to know what he's talking about] that the St. Vincent is a really good guitar. And I guess she did come up with the "design", but it just seems like a Gothy Firebird to me. But I don't know, as I've never played one. And yeah, it would seem to me that she's not really that much of a guitar player, although she seems popular. I listened to some of her stuff, and I was kind of underwhelmed, but I have to say that the comments from others showed that she has a sizable following that really loves what she does.

I think Music Man is just really over the top with signature guitars generally. I have gotten pretty interested in their stuff, and I started a thread on it where nobody really had anything bad to say about them. So there's that. And I do understand the Steve Morse model, because he did literally put that thing together.

Best,

audioforce
St Vincent is a creative guitar player and happens to be the niece of one of the greatest players ever, Tuck Andress.

They hit the right mark giving her a signature model - great design. Probably the best design to come out in a very long time.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
St Vincent is a creative guitar player and happens to be the niece of one of the greatest players ever, Tuck Andress.

They hit the right mark giving her a signature model - great design. Probably the best design to come out in a very long time.
But its just a boxy Firebird. What "design"? Three mini-humbuckers and .........

And if she's not much of a guitarist, then why? Because her uncle is a good player? That's idiotic.

Best,

audioforce
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
But its just a boxy Firebird. What "design"? Three mini-humbuckers and .........

And if she's not much of a guitarist, then why? Because her uncle is a good player? That's idiotic.

Best,

audioforce
Well she is a famous and successful musician - so maybe that lol.

The guitar looks nothing like a firebird. And let's get real here - thee is only so much you can do with guitar design.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

The guitar looks nothing like a firebird. And let's get real here - thee is only so much you can do with guitar design.
When I looked at it, I thought, "Firebird variant". Maybe just me. Anyway, I hear its a nice guitar, and that's good. They seem to make good guitars over there at Ernie land.

Yeah, the iconic guitar shapes seem to be so ingrained that I guess people do have a hard time making something really "new" looking.

Best,

audioforce
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

As stated previously in this thread, I am not behind the "artist" guitar. I think it is about marketting and money but that is simply my opinion.

As far as buying a guitar, for me it has ALWAYS been about the way it played and sounded. I had a 1939 D18 that was almost as beat up as Willie Melson's guitar but the thing played and sounded great. That said, if I ran across a signature guitar that played and sounded great and I felt the price was not too over the top I would likely buy it if I was looking for a guitar but it would have ZERO to do with it being an artist signature instrument and I admit I'd probably have a small amount of discomfort for buying something that I feel allowed a corporation to inflate the price by associating it with a famous player.

Again, this is just me and my opinion.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just part of modern marketing.

In the 70s, many American manufacturers got stung by the fact that some Japanese competitors seem to have a new model every few months, and that the public responded to this.

Unfortunately, companies like Gibson and Fender were also stuck with a very conservative customer base who rejected almost all attempts to create a truly new model after, say 1965.

So we get the endless combinations of "uptown downtown midtown 50s/60/70 tribute" versions of the same three or four basic designs, and an endless series of "signature models" many of which were just standard production when the famous users originally bought them.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:

When I saw it the first thing I thought of was that this was a poor reimagining of the non-reverse Firebird and wondered why and how somebody had come up with a design even uglier than the guitar it was copied from (which I've never liked, either.)

It absolutely DOES look like a NR Firebird.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The only guitar with any signature on it that I own is this one:
(Dweezil signed it on the back of the headstock.)
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
When I saw it the first thing I thought of was that this was a poor reimagining of the non-reverse Firebird and wondered why and how somebody had come up with a design even uglier than the guitar it was copied from (which I've never liked, either.)

It absolutely DOES look like a NR Firebird.
Th irony is that the guitar is immensely popular - I see it all the time with touring bands.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Anyone that thinks Annie Clark, of St. Vincent, isn't much of a guitar player either doesn't know anything about the instrument or hasn't seen her play before. Highly recommend looking into it before shooting off about something you have no knowledge of.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSPH3 View Post
Anyone that thinks Annie Clark, of St. Vincent, isn't much of a guitar player either doesn't know anything about the instrument or hasn't seen her play before. Highly recommend looking into it before shooting off about something you have no knowledge of.
Not knocking Annie, I just think her guitar is incredibly ugly.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSPH3 View Post
Or doesn't care for her music.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search