The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Boss Super Chorus CH-1 Died
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Boss Super Chorus CH-1 Died

I foolishly put in an input single too "hot" for the pedal and now it wont work at all.

Just to be clear, no... I am not talking about the power supply.

What most likely happened to the pedal and what do I need to do to fix it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
I foolishly put in an input single too "hot" for the pedal and now it wont work at all.

Take it to a tech. You probably don't have the necessary equipment to troubleshoot it. And buying the test gear would cost more than the cost of repair.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

What did you plug into the input?
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
What did you plug into the input?
Headphone out from the Yamaha PSR-36. I have done various other headphone outs from keyboards to pedals no problem, this was the first time I tried this particular headphone out. I just wanted to test the keyboard with the pedal and did not feel like looking for a 1/4 to RCA adapter piece to use one of the line outputs.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Headphone out from the Yamaha PSR-36. I have done various other headphone outs from keyboards to pedals no problem, this was the first time I tried this particular headphone out. I just wanted to test the keyboard with the pedal and did not feel like looking for a 1/4 to RCA adapter piece to use one of the line outputs.
Shouldn't be damaged from that.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Shouldn't be damaged from that.
Once I plugged it in I tried playing a few notes and it went very quiet but made slight noise from the keyboard with popping and scratching like noises...then died after a few seconds. I thought it was something wrong with the keyboard at first as I just tested the pedal with two others, then boom the pedal dies.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Once I plugged it in I tried playing a few notes and it went very quiet but made slight noise from the keyboard with popping and scratching like noises...then died after a few seconds. I thought it was something wrong with the keyboard at first as I just tested the pedal with two others, then boom the pedal dies.
Sounds like you have just damaged the input jack with the cable you used. No indicator light?
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds like you have just damaged the input jack with the cable you used. No indicator light?
No indicator light.

I used that same cable with the pedal before with other keyboards with no issue...even 1 minute prior. It only happened once I used that keyboard.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Ok and I take it you tried it with a battery?

Cable was a guess, I've fixed a lot of damaged input jacks on BOSS pedals.
Old 12th June 2019
I think most techs' bench charges are going to be higher than the cost of a new one... if it's not a simple fix, I would probably just replace it, there are tonnes second-hand for not too much cash.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok and I take it you tried it with a battery?

Cable was a guess, I've fixed a lot of damaged input jacks on BOSS pedals.
Put in a different battery, worked! So then, took out the battery and used the same powersupply and it works. This is odd indeed but I am not complaining.

Last edited by Somebodyperson; 12th June 2019 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Maybe there is some issue with having both the battery and the powersupply. I will test this when I get back home from work.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Put in a different battery, worked! So then, took out the battery and used the same powersupply and it works. This is odd indeed but I am not complaining.
Yay it works.

If using power supplies it's good to take the battery out.
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Maybe the dead battery had cell shorts and was pulling down the voltage from the power supply? It's hard to say from here. At any rate, yes, I have no batteries in any pedal that's getting exterior power, and would suggest that in any situation where the exterior power is the normal operation for you. Even if the circuit doesn't connect them, batteries go dead and can leak/corrode as they age.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search