The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
'71 White Tele Should I pull the Trigger? $500
Old 9th June 2019
Here for the gear

'71 White Tele Should I pull the Trigger? $500

I know, only I know the answer to this question. So, quickly off the top of my head, I say, "if it'is a real '71 Tele without major damage and original parts Absolutely!!! YES BUY IT! You can't buy a current American Tele for $500.

But I want to know if I am missing something - I told the guy yes and he is holding it for me till Monday. The specifics...

'71 White Tele, Serial Number 342,xxx
NON-ORIGINAL Pickups - This is the big hit. Has EMG and lost the originals - still '71 has to be worth closer to $1000 right?
Its White, I never really liked White. Love Cream, Blond, anything but white...
Finish looks rough, neck looks aged but it definitely looks 1971!

If this thing is a light (ash body, or whatever makes those 60's Teles light, spanky, clanky and rude) I am definitely IN!

What do you guys think? Would you...

oh I forgot to mention I love Tele's I have...
my first American '83 (heaviest tele ever with loud bridge pickup) then
an original '74 With F Hole and 2 Humbukers and Bigsby,
a '52 reissue that plays better than any Tele in the World EVER!!!
a '62 sunburst Reissue with Fender custom shop replacement maple neck and Lollar pickus that has that light spanky thing going on
another '62 Reissue with original rosewood neck but replacement TV Jones Classic Filtertron pickups that Purr or Roar!~~depending on mood
Attached Thumbnails
'71 White Tele Should I pull the Trigger? 0-img_1593.jpg   '71 White Tele Should I pull the Trigger? 0-img_1594.jpg   '71 White Tele Should I pull the Trigger? 0-img_1594-1-.jpg  
Old 9th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBluesTracks View Post
I know, only I know the answer to this question. So, quickly off the top of my head, I say, "if it'is a real '71 Tele without major damage and original parts Absolutely!!! YES BUY IT! You can't buy a current American Tele for $500.

But I want to know if I am missing something - I told the guy yes and he is holding it for me till Monday. The specifics...

'71 White Tele, Serial Number 342,xxx
NON-ORIGINAL Pickups - This is the big hit. Has EMG and lost the originals - still '71 has to be worth closer to $1000 right?
Its White, I never really liked White. Love Cream, Blond, anything but white...
Finish looks rough, neck looks aged but it definitely looks 1971!

If this thing is a light (ash body, or whatever makes those 60's Teles light, spanky, clanky and rude) I am definitely IN!

What do you guys think? Would you...

oh I forgot to mention I love Tele's I have...
my first American '83 (heaviest tele ever with loud bridge pickup) then
an original '74 With F Hole and 2 Humbukers and Bigsby,
a '52 reissue that plays better than any Tele in the World EVER!!!
a '62 sunburst Reissue with Fender custom shop replacement maple neck and Lollar pickus that has that light spanky thing going on
another '62 Reissue with original rosewood neck but replacement TV Jones Classic Filtertron pickups that Purr or Roar!~~depending on mood
Buy it and install a set of period correct Fralins.

Unless-

Have you checked the dates? End of neck, neck pocket or electronics cavity?

If the neck IS original, make sure it's not warped or twisted. The early '70s was a really bad time for QC on Fender necks - many were made of wood that had not been cured properly. If the neck is straight and has no horizontal twists it should be OK if the date is right.
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Buy it and install a set of period correct Fralins.

Unless-

Have you checked the dates? End of neck, neck pocket or electronics cavity?

If the neck IS original, make sure it's not warped or twisted. The early '70s was a really bad time for QC on Fender necks - many were made of wood that had not been cured properly. If the neck is straight and has no horizontal twists it should be OK if the date is right.
Yes, what John said. Take photos of the numbers... from all those locations and send them to an expert (like Gruhn) to give you an assessment. If there is someone like that in the area, see if the guy is happy, take it there for him to have a look.
If you like the feel and sound, then just get it. On the other hand, $500 isn't much money you cannot make a profit on later.
Old 9th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
Yes, what John said. Take photos of the numbers... from all those locations and send them to an expert (like Gruhn) to give you an assessment. If there is someone like that in the area, see if the guy is happy, take it there for him to have a look.
If you like the feel and sound, then just get it. On the other hand, $500 isn't much money you cannot make a profit on later.
Here is an interesting discussion point. I know I said probably worth $1000 and you mentioned $500 is not much that I can't make a profit. And we/I always have "zero sum" - maybe profit concept on every deal we make. But i like this guitar, and I might even be willing to take a chance (If it plays like a '71 should) to buy it without opening up the neck joint. I don't need/want to make a profit.

My point is we have been around guitars enough and should have at least some idea of what 'a real' vintage guitar looks like and feels like. If it was a knock-off I would look for this or that. Grant it - I am not risking $2000 but only $500. So I might just pull the trigger if I feel I can trust this guy. He said he is original owner from 1974.

The one thing I worry about is Active EMGs. They need a battery, "did he hack the back for a battery shack?" He did not offer pics of the back side? Hmm. I'll find out on Monday, Maybe he'll "Conk Me Head" and take my money. That'll teach me to trust people!
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here is an interesting discussion point. I know I said probably worth $1000 and you mentioned $500 is not much that I can't make a profit. And we/I always have "zero sum" - maybe profit concept on every deal we make. But i like this guitar, and I might even be willing to take a chance (If it plays like a '71 should) to buy it without opening up the neck joint. I don't need/want to make a profit.

My point is we have been around guitars enough and should have at least some idea of what 'a real' vintage guitar looks like and feels like. If it was a knock-off I would look for this or that. Grant it - I am not risking $2000 but only $500. So I might just pull the trigger if I feel I can trust this guy. He said he is original owner from 1974.

The one thing I worry about is Active EMGs. They need a battery, "did he hack the back for a battery shack?" He did not offer pics of the back side? Hmm. I'll find out on Monday, Maybe he'll "Conk Me Head" and take my money. That'll teach me to trust people!
The battery is likely under the pickguard and no-way it fit in a tele without additional routing.

It's probably worth the $500, but with anything Fender or Gibson these days you need to take it apart, date the pots, check the stamp on the neck, etc.

I don't think you will lose money, but I wouldn't consider this a great investment for making money so just make sure you like the guitar and know what you are buying (and don't take anyone's words for it - inspect the thing inside and out).
Old 10th June 2019
Here for the gear

Looks Like a duck...If it quacks Like a Tele It's Mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
FWIW, to me it looks like it's indeed from the early 70's.
Thank You! Yes, as you said, looks like an early 70's guitar. Look at the grime in the screws. Not just red rust, that would not be a 50 year old guitar. But black grime in the screw grooves looks very old, like my verified 1974 Tele. Look and the Fretboard wear. Not just nicks but stained black and old dents, etc.

I'll check the pots for dates when I replace the battery. Seller wants me to see the process of battery change - Battery is under Volume/Tone plate! No hacks to wood, Yeah!

I get to see it at 12:30 pm pacific time, today June 10, 2019. Might be a Happy New Guitar Day for me. Wish me luck.

Thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it!
Old 11th June 2019
Quote:
Thank You! Yes, as you said, looks like an early 70's guitar. Look at the grime in the screws. Not just red rust, that would not be a 50 year old guitar. But black grime in the screw grooves looks very old, like my verified 1974 Tele. Look and the Fretboard wear. Not just nicks but stained black and old dents, etc.

I'll check the pots for dates when I replace the battery. Seller wants me to see the process of battery change - Battery is under Volume/Tone plate! No hacks to wood, Yeah!

I get to see it at 12:30 pm pacific time, today June 10, 2019. Might be a Happy New Guitar Day for me. Wish me luck.

Thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it!
Checking the pots for dates won't do you any good. It has active EMGs in it, the pots would have been replaced when the pickups were installed.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

It most often is not necessary to remove the neck to see the end stamp. Just loosening the strings and the 4 screws should allow enough of an angle to see the date stamp. If by chance the joint isn't tight it still is no biggy to get proper alignment back. I'm mildly embarrassed to say that if I'd bought it I'd be sorely tempted to dump those EMGs w/o ever plugging it in. I hate 'em AND the battery..
Old 11th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
It most often is not necessary to remove the neck to see the end stamp. Just loosening the strings and the 4 screws should allow enough of an angle to see the date stamp. If by chance the joint isn't tight it still is no biggy to get proper alignment back. I'm mildly embarrassed to say that if I'd bought it I'd be sorely tempted to dump those EMGs w/o ever plugging it in. I hate 'em AND the battery..
ABSOLUTELY!

Active EMGs suck dog balls for anything except high gain metal (where the only thing that matters in a pickup is lack of noise) and certain styles of ultra-clean jazz.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
ABSOLUTELY!

Active EMGs suck dog balls for anything except high gain metal (where the only thing that matters in a pickup is lack of noise) and certain styles of ultra-clean jazz.
So I take it you think you might not like them?

Old 12th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
So I take it you think you might not like them?

I'm not exactly a fan. They're really clean and pretty soulless, except as noted above.

Metal guys don't mind because they get 95% of their tone from high gain preamp distortion, and there's not much of the pickup tone that survives that. But they're really quiet, which is important in a very high gain situation.

I like Telecasters that sound like Telecasters. If you have a problem with noise you can install an Ilitch noise cancelling system, which doesn't affect the original tone.

https://www.ilitchelectronics.com/hu...eling-systems/
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not exactly a fan. They're really clean and pretty soulless, except as noted above.

Metal guys don't mind because they get 95% of their tone from high gain preamp distortion, and there's not much of the pickup tone that survives that. But they're really quiet, which is important in a very high gain situation.

I like Telecasters that sound like Telecasters. If you have a problem with noise you can install an Ilitch noise cancelling system, which doesn't affect the original tone.

Never much cared for them myself, even though I need a battery in my guitars (Graphtech Ghost saddles, circuit completely independent from the passive magnetics).

Personally I don't care if someone uses the Tele platform for modding; it's pretty good for that. But I've never met an active pickup system (magnetic, not piezo) that I've liked. Some do, and have used them to good effect. Didn't Gilmour use them for a while?
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Steve Lukather.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

I totally agree! I gave the EMG's a legit try, several times! Nah, not for me. I was expecting a quiet Tele. Nothing Like a Tele, would not Bark or Spank no real soul left - mostly a eunic type tone.

Now begins the search for the right Aggressive Tele Pickup Tone. I love the TV Jones Classics in my Red '62 Reissue but I don't think I will route this '71. The '62 was already hacked with a Bill Lawrence Neck p/u route so that was easy.

I'll check out the standard Fender '64 vintage, Fralins, Lollars, maybe TV Jones makes a Tele drop-in that sound FilterTronish....

Suggestions? I'll search the Forum for Tele Pickup talk too.

Oh, the ilitchelectronics.com system is too rich for my blood. I'll just do the buzz. Has been done for decades, 2 quarter centuries in fact..

Thanks again!
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Steve Lukather.
Who dumped them a long time ago... he claimed he only used/needed them because of his ultra-complex effects rigs at the time. Now that those have shrunk substantially as time & tech have moved on, he's back to passive pickups.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If the neck and body are legit and in usable condition, I'd buy it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Still love my Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups in my Tele.
Old 3 weeks ago
So, did you buy it yet?

If not, is it still for sale?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search