The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Humbucker suggestions
Old 9th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Yeah, Gibson. They make pickups that a lot of people like. Don't know if they will fit in the OPs guitar, tbh, but they do make pickups that people like.
cheers,
audioforce
They did create the original designs that everyone seems to worship. I love mine here, custom wound jobs by their tech and signed. Burstbucker 1
's for the bridge and '57 or burstbucker II's for the bridge float my boat.

Sounds like 1968 to me.
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiodeBridge View Post
I'm surely a PU beginner, but adore the stock gibson burstbucker in the neck on my LP. The bridge burstbucker was like an icepick. i replaced with a gibson with less windings- much better.
If you try a few other alternative makers, you may change your mind. Or maybe not
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
They did create the original designs that everyone seems to worship. I love mine here, custom wound jobs by their tech and signed. Burstbucker 1
's for the bridge and '57 or burstbucker II's for the bridge float my boat.

Sounds like 1968 to me.
I agree.

I don't think there's any rational argument against the fact that Gibson makes good pickups.

I have Gibson pickups in all my Gibson guitars, and they all sound great.

Best,

audioforce
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree.

I don't think there's any rational argument against the fact that Gibson makes good pickups.

I have Gibson pickups in all my Gibson guitars, and they all sound great.

Best,

audioforce
You could expand your horizons. Or not
Old 10th June 2019
Having played since 1963 I've heard most of the copies. Many are knock-offs, some have ceramic magnets, many have overwound coils. All of those stray from the original design. Overwind the coils for more output and you slide the resonant peak downwards into the ice pick range. Use ceramic magnets and the peak is increased while adding a sharper attack.

I have a box of those replacement pickups, all removed because the originals bested them.
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Having played since 1963 I've heard most of the copies. Many are knock-offs, some have ceramic magnets, many have overwound coils. All of those stray from the original design. Overwind the coils for more output and you slide the resonant peak downwards into the ice pick range. Use ceramic magnets and the peak is increased while adding a sharper attack.

I have a box of those replacement pickups, all removed because the originals bested them.
Absolutely true. But for every one of those there is a small-batch company making pickups more true to the originals, or better, with quality materials and stellar performance. While the Gibson humbuckers are fine, they certainly can't be mistaken for the originals and especially the unique variances in the originals that place the actual performance on a spectrum of output characteristics and tonal quality.

so from that perspective, we could view the new Gibson pickups as a baseline with boutique manufacturers offering quality options that stray from that baseline and may be more desirable for certain people and certain instruments.

When you really think about it, it is a bit absurd to expect a single pickup design to be the perfect combination for an Ash bolt-on solidbody, a Les Paul, an ES-175 and an ES-335. So perhaps there is room for all of the folks in this thread to offer something that may work for someone and not necessarily be the same answer as the next guy.

Hell, there's even a place for something more absurd given the right circumstances. I have a transition Ibanez Artist that is unique in that it has 22 frets, a thinner body, and the run-of-the-mill Maxon manufactured Dimarzio copies in it. They will never be mistaken for a PAF but there is something about those funky pickups that is pretty cool under the right circumstances. Ironic as folks tend to gravitate toward the fancier flying fingers pickups in those instruments even though the pickups themselves are pretty horrible sounding. All because they prefer the admittedly cool pickup covers.

Point is - there's room for all of these opinions without anyone being 'wrong'.

Given the choice I would much rather have a hand-wound true to period PAF from a boutique manufacturer than a modern Gibson pickup but I likely wouldn't change out a guitar with modern Gibson pickups for pickups from a boutique manufacturer. There's a point of diminishing returns and Gibson offers some fine options at a reasonable price point.

Cheers,
Brock
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Fair enough Jim. Many people use those burst-buckers and don't complain. But many of these, once exposed to decent quality boutiques, tend to stick with the boutiques. That could be because they sound right to them in the particular guitar, or they just prefer the new tone..
I realized the other day that I now have a pile of burst-buckers and all my gibsons have boutique pickups. I (and more importantly the clients) must have preferred them. I have another pile of new boutiques i want to try out, given I have time for that
Gibson never made pickups as i remember - they were made for them by a contractor. Not sure who makes Burst-buckers.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

At the bottom of "the hole", there is a guy furiously swapping out pickups in countless guitars, hoping to find "the tone". He's making notes, he's got graphs. He's been at it for quite some time, and he ain't done yet.

He can't really play his way out of a wet paper bag, but he's looking for "the tone" to fix that for him.

He's sure he heard "the tone" once, a long time ago. But its been so long, and so many guitars, and so many pickups ago that..............well, anyhow, he's sure he can find it again. Maybe just one more pickup swap. He knows he's gettin' close.

And then it on to the pickup / amp combination comparisons.

Sometimes, he just feels like nobody understands him, how hard it is, and how important it is to check all the pickups with all the guitars through all the amps.

Tonefully,

audioforce - Noted expert humbucking pickup evaluator.
Attached Thumbnails
Humbucker suggestions-images-40.jpeg   Humbucker suggestions-images-45.jpeg  
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Maniac
Well, let's not all forget that a lot of people do pickup swaps just because they are "tinkerers" at heart and find that it's actually a fun little side-hobby related to to their main one of enjoying playing the guitar.

As far as original vs replacement... some "replacement" pickups are actually clones of originals... the Pearly Gates comes to mind. It is SD's and Billy Gibbons' attempt to replicate his original PAFs so he could get that same tone in his other guitars. There was something about that particular pair's winding that made them slightly unique.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsbb View Post
Well, let's not all forget that a lot of people do pickup swaps just because they are "tinkerers" at heart
Definitely seems to be the case. I think I might have tried a few different things myself at one time or another. : )

cheers,

audioforce
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serius41 View Post
Hi I new to the forum and was looking for some thoughts suggestions on pups. I recently put a set on Seymour Duncan alnico pro ii in my prs singlecut hoping to sweeten the top end but they are not quite what I’m looking for. They are a little to chirpy in the 2-4K area and the bridge lacks miss which makes it sound a tad thin. If anyone could suggest a vintage to mod output humbucker with the smoothest top end on the planet I will forever be in your debt.
The a2pro is anything but thin tone wise. I suspect it's the low output you are struggling with. Smoothest high end every is the Duncan Custom Custom. I have one in the bridge of a PRS with the A2Pro in the neck. It's s good combination
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioWonderland View Post
The a2pro is anything but thin tone wise. I suspect it's the low output you are struggling with. Smoothest high end every is the Duncan Custom Custom. I have one in the bridge of a PRS with the A2Pro in the neck. It's s good combination
This is my favorite combo. It is great if you want a guitar to take up a huge swath of frequencies, or if you are the only guitarist in the band.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

seth lovers are great in thinline and semi hollows
I put a Fralin P92 in a semi hollow(neck) and it sounds really really nice, clear highs and tight bass
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Seymour Duncan '59 single conductor with pushback shield is a great sounding full size humbucking pickup for a relatively low price in todays boutique market place, under $80 from Amazon.

It's a classic humbucker sound with amazing character and consistent from pickup to pickup. I've outfitted several guitars with these and they're just a great sounding place to start any song from.

The Little '59 is the same '59 humbucker sound but occupies the footprint of a single coil Fender Stratocaster pickup. I have several guitars outfitted with these too, they're also wonderful tone, a nice balance between high and low. You can run them through a Big Muff or an OCD or a Metal Master or a nice Marshall without it turning into blur, the SD '59 is a pickup I trust.

Good music to all!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Gibson makes good pickups. Why not try the obvious? : )

Best,

audioforce
Gibson hasn't made a pickup I really like in decades.
Old 3 weeks ago
Fralin makes great pickups - IMO the best reproductions of vintage PAFs available. The really cool thing is that you can call them up and often get Lindy on the phone to discuss your exact needs. He can give you any combination of magnet, wire, leadout, etc that you want.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Gibson hasn't made a pickup I really like in decades.
Yeah, but I said they made GOOD pickups, not “pickups that John Eppstein likes”. : )

Best,

audioforce
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Not bad but they are overpriced, roughly 2x of a quality alternative (SD, Dimarzio etc.).
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I can't really speak authoritatively on the PAF copy world, but the one pair that I own are really sweet. These are the Gibson 59 Tribute Alnico II's. They're nice and articulate without becoming shrill or thin. They so the mis-matched coil thing, so they speak just a hair into the single-coil territory. And I guess I prefer the high end on Alnico II's, but I can't really say that I know that for sure.

I think they're based on some other Gibson pickup. You'll have to do your research to find out more about that. And Seymour Duncan undoubtedly has something kind of close. I know they have at least one mis-matched coil PAF. But either way, I'll bet you could call them and have them cook you something similar.

I love the Fralins in my Tele and Strat. I'm not really into cork-sniffing pickups, so I'd probably just listen to some demos and if it's close-enough, that's good enough for me. I do love the Fralin Pure PAF demos. They're actually reasonably close to my Gibsons, so I'd probably go with those.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search