The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Sharp Mesa Cleans
Old 30th May 2019
Here for the gear

Sharp Mesa Cleans

Hi all,
I recently purchased a Mesa 50w Single Rectifier combo amp(also called the rectoverb 50).

I absolutely love the distortion channel on this amp but however the clean channel is very sharp and can even hurt your ears just playing a simple d chord. I have tried tweaking the eq but the sharpness is very persistent.

Does anyone have this problem/amp or know a way to improve the cleans. Such as changing tubes, ect.

Any help is well appreciated

Many thanks,
Lloyd
Old 30th May 2019

What speaker is in there? You may want to look at different speakers.

Also, do you have and EQ you can put tin the effects loop?

-tINY

Old 30th May 2019
Here for the gear

Turn down the treble and/or presence.

Turning up the gain will also warm it up and make it less stiff.
Old 31st May 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks guys

I will have a look at renting some speakers or something

Do you suggest i should use a surgical multiband eq in the effects loop?

But sadly turning the gain higher makes it more thin and i usually have the presence low or on 0
Old 31st May 2019
Lives for gear

If recording, try a ribbon mic.

I have the old Mesa Studio Pre, and it's bright also.

But yeah, eq and a good pickup selection will do you wonders.
Old 31st May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydotheweirdo View Post

But sadly turning the gain higher makes it more thin and i usually have the presence low or on 0

You probably want an EQ with an HF shelving filter (or a LPF) use whatever you have as an experiment....

-tINY

Old 1st June 2019
Here for the gear

Sounds like a good idea

Thanks guys, I'll try those ideas
Old 1st June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:

Weird. On a Mesa adding gain typically adds compression and thickness. Skinny cleans are typically found with the gain fairly low.

Start with everything at 12:00 except the mids, scoop those to around 8:00 to 9:00 to decongest the mids and give it a bit more elasticity, then adjust from there.

Also, I recommend keeping the loop bypassed while you figure out the sound of the amp. Having it engaged changes the tone, and it’s another level of complexity when trying to figure out your sound.
Old 1st June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi all,
I recently purchased a Mesa 50w Single Rectifier combo amp(also called the rectoverb 50).

I absolutely love the distortion channel on this amp but however the clean channel is very sharp and can even hurt your ears just playing a simple d chord. I have tried tweaking the eq but the sharpness is very persistent.

Does anyone have this problem/amp or know a way to improve the cleans. Such as changing tubes, ect.

Many thanks,
Lloyd
That's the way they sound, not much you can do. However the better your recording chain, the less sharp it will sound.
Old 1st June 2019
Gear Nut

The tone controls on the boogies tend to be powerful tools. They publish sample settings in the manual. Have you tried some sample settings as a starting point?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I find the Treble control on my Single Rec head is kind of subtle. I dial it back
and use the Presence pot to tailor the high end to my taste.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi all,

Many thanks,
Lloyd
Others have recommended putting various e.q.s and such in front of the amp. But I would recommend putting in an ac-30 in front of it.

Yeah, just like sit an ac-30 in front of the Mesa, and play through the ac-30.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

turn down the tone control on your guitar when you switch channels. Paper in oil caps sound great to my ears. I never used my tone control till I put one in my SG. I got a boogie mk3 and turn down the presence and turn up the treble for more distortion on the crunch channel.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search