The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Anything new/better in the effect/amp/cab sim world?
Old 21st June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Use what you can afford and don’t let anonymous internet people guilt you into thinking you’re doing it “wrong”... because at the end of the day, there’s not one listener who will know if you’re use Amplitube or Stevie Ray’s personal Dumble
I'd say use what you like, since using your entire budget isn't always necessary. And I think it's easy to confuse advice with guilt. When I reach out to tech support and they point out ways to optimize products they know well, I don't consider it pressure to adopt their ways, I consider that they've explored more areas and tapped into better performance, and why wouldn't I accept that? Yes, there's a lot of condescension in the guitar forum, more so than most others, but sometimes advice is genuine, and just advice. I think it would be false to assume that everyone immediately gets the most out of every box every time.
Old 21st June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCProject View Post
Fascinating how electric guitar players cling to The One True Way to make a noise. The guitar amp & cabinet is a variation of a 60-year old PA design.
How about opening your mind a bit and allow some experimentation? Judge with your ears.
This probably isn’t a response to my posts because that would be nonsensical. But yeah, judge with your ears indeed. For me, that’s why I’ve bought almost every promising new tech under the sun in the hopes that it would pass muster sonically.

In TH-U I finally found one that does, for me.
Old 21st June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
This probably isn’t a response to my posts because that would be nonsensical. But yeah, judge with your ears indeed. For me, that’s why I’ve bought almost every promising new tech under the sun in the hopes that it would pass muster sonically.

I sure like the rig profile deals
Old 21st June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
You'd be very much in the minority with that opinion as the OX has received incredibly positive reviews, one of them coming from me. I've never used a Kemper first-hand, but have been recording guitars for decades, with mics, Palmers, IRs, silent speakers, etc., finding small increases in quality over the years. All methods, including mics/cabs, have been retired since getting the OX. If it's not sounding up to snuff you have to look at the amps, because the load, IRs and effects are top-notch. But, yes, there are other variables contributing to its sound and that's where I would have looked (I'm assuming you no longer have it).
It’s a very good reactive load box. That part of it I found pretty cool. But again, I was using it for its silent recording capabilities.

I’m glad you like yours. I found it to be great fun but the simulation didn’t sound real to me. I posted blind clips here and elsewhere of the OX sim vs my ISO cab setup and the ISO cab was preferred almost unanimously. It may have even been 100% but I can’t quite remember. There may have been someone who liked the OX versions.

It’s all subjective stuff and I’m not trying to piss on anyone’s parade, just sharing my subjective take.
Old 21st June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsbb View Post
In my humble opinion, no.

The only thing I like better is running my tube amps through a Suhr Reactive Load and using the genuine Celestion impulse responses or Torpedo Wall of Sound with a WGS ET65 IR.
Of course, no mention of style. But yeah, the above is great for trini lopez singalong sessions.
Old 21st June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is blowing some people's minds, and it's definitely worthy of that impression. Try the demo, but have the cash ready.

https://neuraldsp.com/products/archetype-plini/
Anyone else tried Archetype Pliny? I don't get excited about sims these days because advancements are usually subtle, but this one seems to be doing something on another level, something unique. Their marketing is practically non-existent, so it's just been word of mouth.
Old 21st June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post

I’m 100% with you. However TH-U doesn’t inspire me at all. I was (am?) really excited about Bluecat’s AXIOM - finally an electric guitar processor with a NEW design and approach - totally different controls than the cliches and tropes we’re so used to (and expect). That said - I haven’t gotten tones from it that I like. Ironic.

I love and am inspired by the usual tone-heros but I’m imagining a rich, expressive guitar tone that isn’t a slight variation of a LP/strat into a Marshall or dirt-pedal into a Fender - you know?

We’ll get there someday.
Old 21st June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Anyone else tried Archetype Pliny? I don't get excited about sims these days because advancements are usually subtle, but this one seems to be doing something on another level, something unique. Their marketing is practically non-existent, so it's just been word of mouth.
Speaking of word-of-mouth - this was totally off-my-radar until this post. I’m checking it out!
Old 21st June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
If it’s half as well put together as their darkglass plugin you should buy it!
Old 21st June 2019
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
i dont like the look of the GUI one bit. why isnt there a sound demo to hear what it sounds like? dont want to waste my time on a trial before i hear if i even want it.
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
This sounds good but why arent they showing the price? You have to create an account and subscribe so they can spam your ass just to see what it costs? WTF!!!

Out of principle and their slimey sales and marketing tactics I refuse to even consider them now. If they are slime before they sell you anything, imagine how slimey they will be if you need to ask for support for the product.
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post
i dont like the look of the GUI one bit. why isnt there a sound demo to hear what it sounds like? dont want to waste my time on a trial before i hear if i even want it.
There's a 14-day trial, which is a far superior method for auditioning interactive software. I recently bought drum software based upon audio demos only to find out that I don't much care for the thing in the real world. Get the demo and give it a proper test drive.
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomaz View Post
What do you guys think about Bias, Brainworx, Uad, Plini etc? Has anything come up that sounds better? More organic?
No. I had a POD2 as well, and was always shocked by how dynamic it was compared to analog amps. But when you think about it, it should be. It's digital, so they could easily map your playing to a wide range of tone. I'd rather see some digital amps that are not the 1,398,163,569,845th variation of a dual rec or plexi or boutique whatever with the 3,613,458,764th promise of being the ultimate groundbreaking most realistic like totally evar for real for real FOR REAL this time... ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz...

...but instead, some impossible amps.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
No. I had a POD2 as well, and was always shocked by how dynamic it was compared to analog amps. But when you think about it, it should be. It's digital, so they could easily map your playing to a wide range of tone. I'd rather see some digital amps that are not the 1,398,163,569,845th variation of a dual rec or plexi or boutique whatever with the 3,613,458,764th promise of being the ultimate groundbreaking most realistic like totally evar for real for real FOR REAL this time... ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz...

...but instead, some impossible amps.
Well said and I agree 100%. That's why I keep digging into Bluecat's AXIOM. It seems like new ground for electric guitar tone - and not just another amp emulator. I'm struggling to wrap my head around the new paradigms but I'll keep trying.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I have a few of the UAD sims (Fuchs Overdrive, Fender deluxe, Ampeg B15) and have demo’d most of rhe others. Also, I have a POD X3. They all sound good. But, to me, the sims don’t FEEL like the real thing. None compare to my Carr Mercury V.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search