The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
How many of those Hohner Tele's did Prince have?
Old 24th May 2019
Here for the gear
How many of those Hohner Tele's did Prince have?

Hey, I was curious if anyone knows if the Hohner Tele we see Prince playing in the very early days, in Purple Rain and even before, was the same Hohner Tele we see him playing towards the end of his life, like in the George Harrison tribute with Tom Petty and Co?

Anyone know for sure?
Old 24th May 2019
Here for the gear
Oh, awesome. Thanks so much! Enduring mystery solved
Old 25th May 2019
At a LA Staples Center concert some 15 odd years ago he used it and at one time threw it towards the couch he had set up but it missed and hit the floor. Roadie tuned it up and it was back in action.
Old 31st May 2019
Lives for gear

It's difficult to know, but definitely more than 5. He had around 15 Cloud guitars made and those weren't even his main guitars, so you can imagine how many Madcat replicas he got made.

I've seen one with wear on the arm rest, one with restoration marks on the, some brighter which were definitely not flamed maple, others darker with the flamed maple thing. And specially, there are some with the Fender curved neck that the original had, and others with the Gibson 12 radius, which he had on the Cloud guitars.

I also think it's funny people refer to it as a knock off Tele, and how he had money to get any vintage guitar he wanted to and still used the Madcat, but that guitar is basically what would be Custom Shop quality today.
Old 13th June 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfilipee View Post
It's difficult to know, but definitely more than 5. He had around 15 Cloud guitars made and those weren't even his main guitars, so you can imagine how many Madcat replicas he got made.

I've seen one with wear on the arm rest, one with restoration marks on the, some brighter which were definitely not flamed maple, others darker with the flamed maple thing. And specially, there are some with the Fender curved neck that the original had, and others with the Gibson 12 radius, which he had on the Cloud guitars.

I also think it's funny people refer to it as a knock off Tele, and how he had money to get any vintage guitar he wanted to and still used the Madcat, but that guitar is basically what would be Custom Shop quality today.
Fascinating. You've looked much more closely at this than I have

I was mainly curious because he handed it to me at his LA Troubadour show and I've always wondered, "Was that...THE ONE????" Haha, but of course not.

That was 2011 though. So, it might be the one he played during the George Harrison Tribute. And even if it's not, it was certainly in his irreplaceable hands seconds before handing it to me
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Love View Post
Fascinating. You've looked much more closely at this than I have

I was mainly curious because he handed it to me at his LA Troubadour show and I've always wondered, "Was that...THE ONE????" Haha, but of course not.

That was 2011 though. So, it might be the one he played during the George Harrison Tribute. And even if it's not, it was certainly in his irreplaceable hands seconds before handing it to me
I'm a huge Prince fan, so over the years you stumble across random information.

But sure, he would have guitars made probably for logistical reasons only and because it wouldn't make sense to get one made every other year. So the guitar you picked was most likely played a whole lot, even though it also most likely wasn't the one from the 80's.

I just remember seeing one where you could see they had black paint they used on the pickup covers as the white under it was starting to show.

The comedian Dave Chapelle has one gifted by Prince himself, for example, and he lended it to John Mayer on one of his most recent singles (not sure which song)
Old 13th June 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfilipee View Post
I'm a huge Prince fan, so over the years you stumble across random information.

But sure, he would have guitars made probably for logistical reasons only and because it wouldn't make sense to get one made every other year. So the guitar you picked was most likely played a whole lot, even though it also most likely wasn't the one from the 80's.

I just remember seeing one where you could see they had black paint they used on the pickup covers as the white under it was starting to show.

The comedian Dave Chapelle has one gifted by Prince himself, for example, and he lended it to John Mayer on one of his most recent singles (not sure which song)
Well, Hello fellow Huge Prince fan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search