The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chasebliss Audio Pedals
Old 4 weeks ago
Chasebliss Audio Pedals

We met Joel, the guy designing the ChaseBliss pedals.
See here for an earlier report (Dancefair 2019) for details on some of the pedals:
Chasebliss Audio Pedals @Dancefair 2019

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm a big fan of his pedals. Very forward thinking while being rooted in some classic ideas as well. Joel has a good persona and attitude, too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Yeah, he's cool. I noticed he was a bit overwhelmed by the whole Superbooth experience; but we all were.
It's like you're stepping into another, very busy and intense dimension.
I'll invite him to the thread. I've only covered 4 of his pedals in the Dancefair thread (and there's more to it)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The ongoing vlog of his and Knobs' co-development of the Blooper (looper) pedal is new and interesting, too, if you haven't seen it.

It would be cool to get him to peep in here more often for an additional dose of non-guitarists wants and needs to aid in product development.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Joel is a super cool dude, and IMO, is building the most ground breaking pedals around now days. I love his stuff.
Old 4 weeks ago
These are just fantastic. I want all of them...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have the Brothers pedal. It’s beautiful. It sounds great on guitar, bass, and synths. It can sound delicate or extreme, it always sounds amazing. I’ve gotten very tired of boutique Tube Screamer klones, it’s not my favorite flavor, there are a hundred variations and they are all so similar. Brothers is a different world. It’s my most beloved pedal, ever.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

hey thanks so much for kind words. As time goes by I'm getting much more interested in non-guitar related things I like getting on forums so I'll get on gearslutz more.
Old 3 weeks ago
@ chaseblissaudio welcome aboard mate, good to see you!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Holding some pedals against my rack, I wonder why none of the vendors builds eurorack effects that can be mounted into a box and become a pedal. The few redundant 3.5 jacks can´t be the killer, can they? Think behringer neutron, fits a eurorack but comes with box that makes it a dekstop (which also can be 19" rack mounted).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomind View Post
Holding some pedals against my rack, I wonder why none of the vendors builds eurorack effects that can be mounted into a box and become a pedal. The few redundant 3.5 jacks can´t be the killer, can they? Think behringer neutron, fits a eurorack but comes with box that makes it a dekstop (which also can be 19" rack mounted).
Different power needs, and wholly different audio levels, must be overcome long before mounting...
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Different power needs, and wholly different audio levels, must be overcome long before mounting...
it's interesting I've had that mounting thought too. but the massively different audio levels is such a big thing.

It can be tough to design a circuit even among varying guitar pickup output types. A weak-ish guitar pickup can generate like 50mV on a strum while a humbucker (still passive) can be 10x that...

and I guess I don't even know what modular audio is generally at, I just know it's big. Well shoot, I might as well ask. Could someone clue me in as to what modular audio levels generally are (I know it probably depends on a lot of factors). I'm guessing it's a few volts peak to peak.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Yeah, he's cool. I noticed he was a bit overwhelmed by the whole Superbooth experience; but we all were.
It's like you're stepping into another, very busy and intense dimension.
I'll invite him to the thread. I've only covered 4 of his pedals in the Dancefair thread (and there's more to it)
thank you SO much for chatting and stopping. Yes, a bit overwhelmed would be an understatement I think. I really loved being there though. I'm excited to learn more.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you're friends/friendly with Z.Vex, his eurorack implementations of his Lo-Fi Junky and Fuzz Factory pedals are about as good as porting a pedal to eurorack has been done, IMO, from adding the requisite CV patch points for the knobs, to the layouts and levels, and obviously the Power works.

Worth looking at, or speaking with him if you two are friendly like that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Understood that it´s not just an empty pedal box, but a bit of circuitry, like neutron or delta cep. For the latter, the desktop case adds midi, much as a pedal box would add what´s needed for guitars. I wonder how much difference there is in the two versions of magneto as another example.

Powerlevel, it can´t be that hard to convert from 12V to 9V. And there are some pedals that operate on even higher voltage, so it´s not unheard of. Likewise, many pedals can handle line level audio as well as guitar level today. Polymoon for example or Palisades (those I own). Given that euro-line i/o modules aren´t that big, adding euro level i/o can´t be rocketscience. Worst case, you put a line module right next to the pedal one.

But yes, probably that would make the hybrid approach non competitive, much stuff added that isn´t needed by the majority of customers. If the market is not (yet) big enough to release a eurorack version, it´s likely not big enough for a hybrid version either.

Which brings me to a totally different question: Are there any 19" rack mountable pedalboards? A bit recessed, so the average pedal sits sort of flush to the rest of the panels? In Chase Bliss Audios product lineup,I´d expect them all to have the same height, it would be nice to spend 3 or 4 U and have a row of pedals.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseblissaudio View Post
Could someone clue me in as to what modular audio levels generally are (I know it probably depends on a lot of factors). I'm guessing it's a few volts peak to peak.
To my knowledge

-10 dBv (consumer line level) = 0.895v p-p
+4 dBu (pro line level) = 3.473v p-p
normal modular audio level = 10v p-p
peak modular audio level = 20v p-p

-10 dBv = -7.78 dBu
10v p-p = +13.2 dBu
20v p-p = +19.2 dBu

So yeah, of course line level is much closer to guitar level than eurorack is. Probably that would be A LOT of stuff not needed in a pedal box and that would drive size and cost.

Thinking about that, I´d say it´s more practical for now to keep things separated, do the conversion with available i/o modules and just find a nice way to mount pedals in a rack. The ones I own, some of them would even fit eurorack, but many eat 3U of 19" rack just for the box (and more with cabling on the top) - so wouldn´t fit Euro.

Looking at racking CBA, first bonus is audio i/o on the sides, that doesn´t ask for another U in the rack. Given that the DIP switches are on the top, it´s probably a bad idea to mount them flush to the other panels. So I start to accept the idea of just a plain rack panel with velcro and then build a vertical floorboard... let´s call it rackboard then

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search