The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Replacement for Fullerton '57 Strat Plugin Bundles
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Replacement for Fullerton '57 Strat

So I had an AVRI Fullerton '57 Strat that I really liked. It was about an '83 or '84 guitar. I bought it new. It got sold by a pawn shop.

I have not replaced it, because I really liked it and what I really want is another Fullerton Reissue '57 Strat.

However, when I look for them, they are always super expensive, and often not really in good shape.

I had mine refinished in Daphne Blue, I had Seymour Duncan Hot Stacks on it, and some kind of upgraded tuners, I think. So, yeah, but it was still the best sounding and playing Strat ever. Mostly, the super skinny V neck and the slightly different body shape made it.

Does anyone know of a production model, or even a custom shop edition that has / had those same attributes?

Basically, I'm trying to see if I could buy what would amount to a new vintage reissue of the old vintage reissue I had. The skinny neck and body shape are important.

Anybody seen anything like that in any of the newer production or custom shop models?


Or, for that matter, has anyone seen a Daphne Blue Strat with Duncan Hot Rails anywhere? Let me know.


Thanks,

audioforce
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
I had one of those in seafoam green. I was given it and encouraged to restring it lefty but couldn't bring myself to do that to such a great guitar so I gave it back... You're totally right that era was super nice.

Your best bet is a partcaster. Musikraft neck, MJT body... tell em what you want & you'll get it.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
DirkP's Avatar
 

I don't know if one of the models of the American Vintage Series (2012-2017) fits your needs, but IMO these were about the best mass produced instruments Fender did ever built.
They replaced the old Vintage Reissues series and had more accurate details (like clay dots etc.) and new pickups, which I really really like. I bought the ultra vintage strat pickups for my japan strat.
The series was replaced last year with the American Originals.
I am not the only one who helds the AVS instruments in the highest regard. Some shops still have them or you can buy them used. I have a '64 Jazz in Daphne Blue and a P Bass in Faded Sonic Blue and they are my favourite basses since years. And I have lots of Fenders. But I don't know all the attributes of the individual models. There was a '58 strat and a '63 strat IIRC. My '64 Jazz for example has a very tiny neck, while the P neck is fleshy...
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Gear Addict
 
Zoobiedood's Avatar
 

I haven't seen a stock guitar with Hot Rails, although those pickups are really popular, so if you found the guitar you'd like, the Hot Rails would be easy to find.
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
bash's Avatar
 

When I was a young pup in the early 80s, just starting out on guitar, my father took me to a store in the DC area (Venemans?) and told me to choose what I wanted. Salesman brought out both the guitar in question and a Stratocaster Elite. Being young and stupid I chose the Elite... Thus began my pattern of bad guitar choices that has continued to the present day. :(
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Gear Nut
 
telegramsam's Avatar
 

I have early Corona 62 Strat AVRI, from 1986. Also a very nice guitar. Maybe don't confine yourself to just the Fullertons. That being said the Corona's still seems to commands decently high prices too, these days.
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
mbvoxx's Avatar
Budget?
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx View Post
Budget?
None in particular. But I am trying to relocate and set up my studio now, so I don’t need to spend unnecessarily.

Just looking to see what might be available that would have the super thin V neck and sleeker body style like the one I had.

Best,

audioforce
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
bash's Avatar
 

G&L Fullerton Model V-Neck. Something to consider. I am familiar with early 90s G&Ls and they were stellar owing imo to the relatively recent death of Leo at that time. G&L was still battling to be known as the REAL Fender guitar maker. I've read that quality dropped off in the late 90s but I don't know about that. I've always considered the move from 3-bolt to 4-bolt necks as the dividing line between the eras. Lots of models from that era can be had for much lower than they're worth. There's also a 80s Legacy Special (I'm sorta suspicious of that date since it comes with a COA from Phyllis Fender) on Reverb with stock rail pickups if that's your thing. It's a little pricier and the neck will be the standard soft C of the Legacy series. Legacy Special.

Edit: Yea, the Special is definitely not a 1985. Early 90s due to 3-bolt and the COA references Leo's death in 1991. Nice looking guitar though. Appears to be swamp ash. Probably a heavy boi.

Last edited by bash; 1 week ago at 01:01 AM..
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
I had one of those in seafoam green. I was given it and encouraged to restring it lefty but couldn't bring myself to do that to such a great guitar so I gave it back... You're totally right that era was super nice.

Your best bet is a partcaster. Musikraft neck, MJT body... tell em what you want & you'll get it.
Thanks, man.

I looked at Musikraft and MJT [didn't know about them]. I did not see that they make a super skinny V neck or the extra sleek body that my guitar had. but they have a lot of nice stuff. I'm not really into the relic thing, but at least their's don't look crappy like most of that stuff. Maybe they would make me one like the one Ii had.

Do they take special orders?


Best,

audioforce
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
I don't know if one of the models of the American Vintage Series (2012-2017) fits your needs, but IMO these were about the best mass produced instruments Fender did ever built.
They replaced the old Vintage Reissues series and had more accurate details (like clay dots etc.) and new pickups, which I really really like. I bought the ultra vintage strat pickups for my japan strat.
The series was replaced last year with the American Originals.
I am not the only one who helds the AVS instruments in the highest regard. Some shops still have them or you can buy them used. I have a '64 Jazz in Daphne Blue and a P Bass in Faded Sonic Blue and they are my favourite basses since years. And I have lots of Fenders. But I don't know all the attributes of the individual models. There was a '58 strat and a '63 strat IIRC. My '64 Jazz for example has a very tiny neck, while the P neck is fleshy...
Hmmm, do you know if the specs for the ones you are talking about are still available?


Best,

audioforce
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Has anyone on this forum ever ordered anything special from the custom shop?



cheers,


audioforce
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Thanks, man.

I looked at Musikraft and MJT [didn't know about them]. I did not see that they make a super skinny V neck or the extra sleek body that my guitar had. but they have a lot of nice stuff. I'm not really into the relic thing, but at least their's don't look crappy like most of that stuff. Maybe they would make me one like the one Ii had.

Do they take special orders?


Best,

audioforce
If you contact Musikraft and tell them what kind of neck you want (probably their 57 V profile) they will be able to make it for you.

Getting the right body contour from MJT might be harder but I really like his strat body shape. They do non relic too.

If you go fender custom shop it's going to cost a shedload.

I would check out the AVS series DirkP is talking about as well. They're much better than the modern AVRI 57 & 62 series.
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
If you contact Musikraft and tell them what kind of neck you want (probably their 57 V profile) they will be able to make it for you.
Sounds good. Actually, from what I've been reading, the neck was not like an actual '57 Strat, but much thinner, apparently like a older model ['54?].

Quote:
Getting the right body contour from MJT might be harder but I really like his strat body shape. They do non relic too.
They only do one shape?

Quote:
If you go fender custom shop it's going to cost a shedload.
Yeah, that's why I'm trying to find some options to that.

Quote:
I would check out the AVS series DirkP is talking about as well. They're much better than the modern AVRI 57 & 62 series.
Will do. Do you know if the specs for those are available anywhere.

I also wonder just what the body on the Fullerton reissue I had was made of. Probably alder?


I actually still have the pickups, some of the hardware, pick guard, the case, and some odds and ends for the one I had, since I had swapped them out.


Best,


audioforce
Old 1 week ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Does anyone know the actual specs / measurements of the thin, hard v neck that came on the early Fullerton reissue Strats? I just know it was super thin and v-shaped. Played great. If I knew the specs maybe I could have one made.

There used to be a website dedicated to these things, but its no longer there.


Thanks,


audioforce
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Gear Addict
 
Zoobiedood's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash View Post
When I was a young pup in the early 80s, just starting out on guitar, my father took me to a store in the DC area (Venemans?) and told me to choose what I wanted. Salesman brought out both the guitar in question and a Stratocaster Elite. Being young and stupid I chose the Elite... Thus began my pattern of bad guitar choices that has continued to the present day. :(
I actually liked those old Elite Strats. Funky guitars.
Old 1 week ago
  #17
Lives for gear
 
bash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobiedood View Post
I actually liked those old Elite Strats. Funky guitars.
Yea, it does the clean 2/4 position "quack" better than any Strat known to man, imo. But the trem is a nightmare, the switching system is time-consuming and I just never got it to give me a lead tone I liked (subjective, I know) and it was impossible for me to get it to feedback sweetly. I know there's some fellow in Kings X that built his tone rep on an Elite so I'm sure it's capable with the right gear but after a few years of playing I wished I had gone with a simpler (non-active) choice. I believe it might have been the first time Fender introduced Sienna burst finishes. That seduced me. It's still gorgeous and I use it for the clean but definitely not an all-rounder for me.

Last edited by bash; 1 week ago at 04:55 PM..
Old 1 week ago
  #18
Gear Addict
 
Pindrive's Avatar
Why not a Warmoth with Clapton neck profile? You build everything to the spec you prefer, Rather than relying on what you can find, or what Fender Produced.
Old 1 week ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pindrive View Post
Why not a Warmoth with Clapton neck profile? You build everything to the spec you prefer, Rather than relying on what you can find, or what Fender Produced.
Thanks. I need to look into this. Trying to figure out if the Clapton neck profile is the same as what was on the guitar I had. I may just have to get something slightly different if there are no necks like those available, but it does seem to me that one could be made if I knew exactly what the specs were.

I also really liked the shape of the one I had and it seems that they don't make them like that anymore. So again, in order to have one made I guess I would need to find out exactly what the measurements were.




Best,


audioforce
Old 1 week ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Thanks. I need to look into this. Trying to figure out if the Clapton neck profile is the same as what was on the guitar I had. I may just have to get something slightly different if there are no necks like those available, but it does seem to me that one could be made if I knew exactly what the specs were.

I also really liked the shape of the one I had and it seems that they don't make them like that anymore. So again, in order to have one made I guess I would need to find out exactly what the measurements were.




Best,


audioforce
I'm pretty sure the Clapton neck profile is a chunky V.

Not sure if you know this but the David Gilmour sig model is literally based on an 83 Fullerton 57 reissue.
Old 1 week ago
  #21
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Here's the one I had.

Wanted. Hopefully alive.


I have some other pictures but who knows where right now?




cheers,

audioforce
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement for Fullerton '57 Strat-100_2844.jpg   Replacement for Fullerton '57 Strat-100_2845.jpg   Replacement for Fullerton '57 Strat-100_2846.jpg   Replacement for Fullerton '57 Strat-100_2847.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
  #22
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
I'm pretty sure the Clapton neck profile is a chunky V.
What do you mean by "chunky v"?

Quote:
Not sure if you know this but the David Gilmour sig model is literally based on an 83 Fullerton 57 reissue.
Anyone ever played one? I was reading about it, and what I read was kind of ambiguous. I guess Fender must have some sort of description on their site.

I know the neck on mine was super thin [front to back] and V-shaped. I don't know for sure if it was "super hard V" or just "V", but it seems to me that it was pretty pronounced. The main thing people commented on, however, was how thin it was.

I emailed those two companies you mentioned, and I'll check with Warmouth. But I think the issue is going to be how well I can specify the measurements.


Best,


audioforce
Old 1 week ago
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
What do you mean by "chunky v"?



Anyone ever played one? I was reading about it, and what I read was kind of ambiguous. I guess Fender must have some sort of description on their site.

I know the neck on mine was super thin [front to back] and V-shaped. I don't know for sure if it was "super hard V" or just "V", but it seems to me that it was pretty pronounced. The main thing people commented on, however, was how thin it was.

I emailed those two companies you mentioned, and I'll check with Warmouth. But I think the issue is going to be how well I can specify the measurements.


Best,


audioforce
Well there is certainly some weird definitions of what is a soft V, thin V, thin C etc.

It doesn't help when fender start calling things a thin shouldered C etc. lol which is apparently what the Gilmour strat has even though it's based on an 83 Fullerton 57 RI...

But the one I had was for sure a soft V and thin. 42.5mm nut width and 7 1/4 radius with vintage frets.

Clapton neck was chunkier.

Musikraft has measurements of heaps of necks. They will know what you're after unless you had some unicorn anomaly.
Old 1 week ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Well there is certainly some weird definitions of what is a soft V, thin V, thin C etc.

It doesn't help when fender start calling things a thin shouldered C etc. lol which is apparently what the Gilmour strat has even though it's based on an 83 Fullerton 57 RI...

But the one I had was for sure a soft V and thin. 42.5mm nut width and 7 1/4 radius with vintage frets.

Clapton neck was chunkier.

Musikraft has measurements of heaps of necks. They will know what you're after unless you had some unicorn anomaly.
Well I heard back from Musikraft and they said "For the neck, we can do a custom back profile but would need more info on what the front to back thickness is of the neck at the 1st and 12th frets".

They say they do a 50's style body which has "thinner edges". Not sure what that means exactly.

I'll ask if they have any measurements already for the kind of neck that was used on the Fullerton reissues. You would think they would, but who knows. Maybe Fender has data on those guitars. The vintagereissue.com site is no more, and that was where the most info was that I knew about.

MJT just said they could use a neck from a number of different vendors, I guess, and their bodies are a "late 50's" style.

In hindsight, I guess I should have made a plaster mold of the thing. Ha, ha.


Best,


audioforce
Old 1 week ago
  #25
Gear Addict
 
Pindrive's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Thanks. I need to look into this. Trying to figure out if the Clapton neck profile is the same as what was on the guitar I had. I may just have to get something slightly different if there are no necks like those available, but it does seem to me that one could be made if I knew exactly what the specs were.

I also really liked the shape of the one I had and it seems that they don't make them like that anymore. So again, in order to have one made I guess I would need to find out exactly what the measurements were.




Best,


audioforce
I understand. It's been my experience that no two Strats will have the same vibe. Even if spec'd out exactly the same. If it's the neck feel you are after, I'm sure it was CNC cut. That should feel the same.
Old 1 week ago
  #26
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pindrive View Post
I understand. It's been my experience that no two Strats will have the same vibe. Even if spec'd out exactly the same. If it's the neck feel you are after, I'm sure it was CNC cut. That should feel the same.
It'll feel the same if I can tell them the specs to cut to.

Yeah, I just liked the way the body looked [just a little different than other Strats]. So I would like that, but again it may be hard to duplicate if I can't give them the measurements. Not a deal breaker. I had Hot Stack pickups in it and that's easy enough to duplicate, so if I get the neck right and at least the body wood right, with those pickups, it should sound pretty much the same, I would think.


Best,

audioforce
Old 1 week ago
  #27
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Welll MJT and Musikraft are kind of waffling. Haven’t heard back from Warmoth. I called fender and they have no records for those guitars and the custom shop has no direct line. Lovely.

Do any of you guys have one of those guitars?

Best,

audioforce
Old 1 week ago
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Welll MJT and Musikraft are kind of waffling. Haven’t heard back from Warmoth. I called fender and they have no records for those guitars and the custom shop has no direct line. Lovely.

Do any of you guys have one of those guitars?

Best,

audioforce
That's kind of weird since it's all available online:

http://mycoolguitars.com/guitar-neck...-measurements/

I'll edit my post with the dimensions of almost every neck ever made.

Fender really said that? That I highly doubt... I know for a fact their CS has dimensions for everything that has ever come through their shop.

Ditto for Musikraft.
Old 1 week ago
  #29
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
That's kind of weird since it's all available online:

http://mycoolguitars.com/guitar-neck...-measurements/
But there is no Fullerton Vintage Reissue '57 Strat neck shown in there.

Quote:
I'll edit my post with the dimensions of almost every neck ever made.
Excellent. Hopefully you'll find the ones for that specific guitar.

Quote:
Fender really said that? That I highly doubt... I know for a fact their CS has dimensions for everything that has ever come through their shop.
I called Fender. They would not provide a phone number for the Custom Shop, saying it all has to go through their dealers. They did not have records of the specifics of the guitars in question. The guy was nice enough and sent me what general info they had. I'll post it. Its helpful, but not what Musikraft requested.

Quote:
Ditto for Musikraft.
Here what Musikraft wrote:

"We do not have those specs unfortunately.
My guess is that our 57V back profile would be similar and we could make it a little smaller for an additional fee. I could do the research for you but I am not sure that what I come up with would be exactly what you are looking for. I googled that guitar and it seems like there are a few versions out there.
Our 50's contours are nice - maybe not exactly the same but definitely thinner than our 60's contours.
Hope that helps,
Scott"


Here's what Warmoth wrote:

"Hello,

Thank you so much for taking the time to check in with us.

I’m afraid that we have no specific “Fullerton-style” body or neck
patterns, designs, or tooling. We simply offer the options and features
shown on our website.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Spike"

[/I]


MJT wrote this:

"……..my pleasure! I do not have the dimensions handy, but the body we provide is the standard vintage Fender Strat dimensions. Let me know if that might work for you.

Thanks again!"




Best,

audioforce
Old 1 week ago
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
But there is no Fullerton Vintage Reissue '57 Strat neck shown in there.



Excellent. Hopefully you'll find the ones for that specific guitar.



I called Fender. They would not provide a phone number for the Custom Shop, saying it all has to go through their dealers. They did not have records of the specifics of the guitars in question. The guy was nice enough and sent me what general info they had. I'll post it. Its helpful, but not what Musikraft requested.



Here what Musikraft wrote:

"We do not have those specs unfortunately.
My guess is that our 57V back profile would be similar and we could make it a little smaller for an additional fee. I could do the research for you but I am not sure that what I come up with would be exactly what you are looking for. I googled that guitar and it seems like there are a few versions out there.
Our 50's contours are nice - maybe not exactly the same but definitely thinner than our 60's contours.
Hope that helps,
Scott"


Here's what Warmoth wrote:

"Hello,

Thank you so much for taking the time to check in with us.

I’m afraid that we have no specific “Fullerton-style” body or neck
patterns, designs, or tooling. We simply offer the options and features
shown on our website.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Spike"

[/I]


MJT wrote this:

"……..my pleasure! I do not have the dimensions handy, but the body we provide is the standard vintage Fender Strat dimensions. Let me know if that might work for you.

Thanks again!"




Best,

audioforce
If you read that linked page start to finish it should help you understand what kind of neck you had and what to specify if getting one built.

The Gilmour neck is meant to be a clone of an 83 Fullerton neck:
One-piece reissue C-shaped maple neck with .790" to .870" taper

It is one of the most copied/requested strat necks. The dimensions sound right, just not the C part... 1 11/16" nut width seems to be what a Fullerton 57 RI had.

Some good info
https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/f...-strats.75736/

My answer is kinda the same as Musikraft. I can do the research for you but it might not be exactly what you are looking for. You have to find a Fullerton 57 RI and see for yourself

My strat quest was much easier. Slab board C shape 60's necks, always in demand and well researched.

The body part might be tricky too, they're deeper contours than normal.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
boomer81 / So Many Guitars, So Little Time
2
DeathDub / So Many Guitars, So Little Time
11
CrankyRayHanky / So Many Guitars, So Little Time
16
Soniks / So Many Guitars, So Little Time
13
Spectacle / So Many Guitars, So Little Time
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump