The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Replacement for Fullerton '57 Strat
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by corona blue View Post
Audioforce-
This is a pretty old thread, but I just stumbled upon it.
I own one of these Fullerton '57's. It's a late 1983.
Taking it out to play it tomorrow in fact.
Did you find the information you wanted?

I have played real 50's Teles and Strats and the Fullerton maple necks were not very close at all.
It is a "shallow" neck, not beefy at all. But it is narrow as is correct for a 50's maple neck.
It's not a very pronounced V but it isn't exactly a C either.
I was never crazy about the neck, preferring deeper profiles, but it is kind of its own thing.
I had never heard that they were patterned after an earlier 50's profile, but maybe!

Interestingly, the necks on the Fullerton '62 re-issues were much closer to the real thing.
They were a bit wider than the 57 necks (as would be proper) and had the right C shape.

When I bought mine in 1984, I went with a buddy who had a real '64 strat and wanted to check out these much touted vintage re-issue Fenders. Keep in mind that Fender had been putting out some sketchy stuff for a few years. The Japanese guitars of the late 70's, many being exact copies of vintage Leo era Fenders, (and nice guitars btw) were hurting Fender's sales. My understanding is that the Fullerton era was a time when the employees of Fender stepped up to buy a majority of the company stock in order to bring forth the changes needed to produce the kind of quality that the market was crying for. Anyway, my buddy ended up buying a 62 RI in black as I remember. My '57 was typical 2 tone SB. That day, I told the sales guy, I'm going to buy a guitar today, but I want to try out a bunch of what you've got... so he kept bringing me guitars from down in the storage cellar. I must have tried a dozen or more strats all two-tone SB. I often wondered, looking back, how many they had down there, lol! I was playing them acoustically, just to hear how the wood resonated and trying to find the best one. They were all very good. But I have to say that I don't remember there being any deviation in the neck profiles of the 57 RI's. The necks were consistent.

The finishes on all the RI's I played (57 and 62) were polyurethane. Never saw a Fullerton RI in nitro.

I have played the snot out of my frets but she keeps on giving. I've had the frets dressed out 3 or 4 times now and they're getting pretty flat. There is a minor 'hump' in the neck up around the 17th or 18th fret that causes some minor string buzz when bending up the 7.25" radius. But I have adjusted it out and the action is still comfortable. It's been a good friend over the years.

I'll try to help if you are still seeking your Holy Grail neck.

Best to all the posters. Cool thread.

Corona Blue
'57 Fullerton Vintage Reissue #V010917 build date Aug 1983
Wow. Thank you so much for responding. I just saw this and I'm running between raindrops right now. I am gonna post some questions for you a little later, and I'm hopeful you can help me with this. Thanks again!

Best,

audioforce
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
A

I'll try to help if you are still seeking your Holy Grail neck.

Best to all the posters. Cool thread.

Corona Blue
'57 Fullerton Vintage Reissue #V010917 build date Aug 1983

O.K., first question. Do you have the measurements of the neck on your guitar? Or even the body?

Best,

audioforce
Old 2nd October 2019
Here for the gear

No, not presently.
I can take a caliper measurement of the neck at the 1st fret and at the 12th for you.
Give me a day or two on that one.

What measurement do you need on the body?
Old 3rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, not presently.
I can take a caliper measurement of the neck at the 1st fret and at the 12th for you.
Give me a day or two on that one.

What measurement do you need on the body?
Thanks, man. Is it a really skinny neck? That's what mine was. To the point that people would say, "Wow, this neck is sooo thin". If you can measure below the nut, where it is at its thinnest I guess that would be the right place. Then maybe the 5th and 12th frets, or even just the 12th. Whatever you can get to.

As to the body, I'm just trying to duplicate the shape and contours, which are slightly more "sleek" and "elegant" than regular Strats. If there is anyway you can measure or compare that, it would be helpful. Maybe if I just have rough measurements and pictures to send to Musikraft or whoever, they could make one. The neck is the more important thing to me, but those Fullerton Strats had very nice shape.

Thanks again.

Best,

audioforce
Old 3rd October 2019
Here for the gear

Well, let's get our terminology in sync: "Skinny" to me would mean its width.
So, in essence, the width of the neck across the fingerboard's playing area.

"Depth" is the word I would use to define the measurement of the "thickness" of the neck measured from the fingerboard to the back of the neck where your palm would be.

So, using these terms, the width of these neck's is pretty close to a standard 50's maple neck from an old Strat or Tele.
But the DEPTH, is quite shallow, and unique to these Fullerton 57's from the 80's.

So yes, my '83 Fullerton 57 RI is the same neck profile your remember on your own.
And, as I said earlier, I tried a bunch of these guitars when I bought mine back in the day and all the necks were consistent in shape.
CNC machinery was already well-developed in those years, so that brought out the consistency.
In the 50's, they really did not have computer controlled machinery. The necks were all in the ballpark coming off the machines, but they also received a lot more human touch afterwards.

Hope that helps.

CB

P.S. Here are the measurements of my neck (inches):

1) WIDTH (ACROSS FINGERBOARD):
a) at the nut: 1.650"
b) at the 12th fret: 2.025"

2) DEPTH (FINGERBOARD APEX TO BACK OF NECK APEX):
a) at 1st fret: .790"
b) at 12th fret .850"

Last edited by corona blue; 3rd October 2019 at 07:25 PM..
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, let's get our terminology in sync: "Skinny" to me would mean its width.
So, in essence, the width of the neck across the fingerboard's playing area.

"Depth" is the word I would use to define the measurement of the "thickness" of the neck measured from the fingerboard to the back of the neck where your palm would be.

So, using these terms, the width of these neck's is pretty close to a standard 50's maple neck from an old Strat or Tele.
But the DEPTH, is quite shallow, and unique to these Fullerton 57's from the 80's.

So yes, my '83 Fullerton 57 RI is the same neck profile your remember on your own.
And, as I said earlier, I tried a bunch of these guitars when I bought mine back in the day and all the necks were consistent in shape.
CNC machinery was already well-developed in those years, so that brought out the consistency.
In the 50's, they really did not have computer controlled machinery. The necks were all in the ballpark coming off the machines, but they also received a lot more human touch afterwards.

Hope that helps.

CB

P.S. Here are the measurements of my neck (inches):

1) WIDTH (ACROSS FINGERBOARD):
a) at the nut: 1.650"
b) at the 12th fret: 2.025"

2) DEPTH (FINGERBOARD APEX TO BACK OF NECK APEX):
a) at 1st fret: .790"
b) at 12th fret .850"

Thanks,

Actually, its my understanding that the necks on these guitars did vary some and were hand finished. But the one you describe does kind of sound like mine. I just know that no other Strat I've played has had a thin neck like that. And it was definitely a V shape, although some say that a lot of them were not.

So you're saying its kind of a shallow V? It is possible to get a couple good pics of it so that I could send it along with the measurements to be reproduced, if I don't find one elsewhere [I did get a message off to the guy who pointed out on Ebay].

Thanks,

audioforce
Old 4th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post

So you're saying its kind of a shallow V? It is possible to get a couple good pics of it so that I could send it along with the measurements to be reproduced.
Yes, very shallow and soft V up to about the 7th fret, and then it softens out more.

I don't think pics will help you much... the data I sent you should get you very close.

Let us know when you find the Holy Grail.

CB
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, very shallow and soft V up to about the 7th fret, and then it softens out more.

I don't think pics will help you much... the data I sent you should get you very close.

Let us know when you find the Holy Grail.

CB
Now I gotta find the Holy Grail? Jeez. Hard enough trying to find the Strat that I’ve been looking for. What next?
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now I gotta find the Holy Grail? Jeez. Hard enough trying to find the Strat that I’ve been looking for. What next?
Musikraft make a VERY skinny D neck. Even skinnier then this. Dont know why you would want a skinny, wispy neck like that though. Ruins the tone of the guitar
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
Musikraft make a VERY skinny D neck. Even skinnier then this. Dont know why you would want a skinny, wispy neck like that though. Ruins the tone of the guitar
Everybody knows that skinny V-neck’s have the best tone possible. Word.
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Everybody knows that skinny V-neck’s have the best tone possible. Word.
Hmmm. Learn something every day
Old 4th October 2019
Here for the gear

Yuri, my own experience agrees with your statement.
The chunkier necks on most any guitar seem to help tone and sustain.
It's all relative to personal tastes at a certain point, but I have heard the differences myself.
The mass and the material of the neck makes a difference.
Maple necks sound brighter and punchier to me than mahogony which has a darker sound, a softer response.
Heck, just changing tuners can change the tone in a radical way!

Also, the balance of the instrument... neck heavy vs. body heavy...
A lot of people don't realize that there is thought that goes into the design of headstocks to provide sufficient mass for balance.

CB

Last edited by corona blue; 4th October 2019 at 05:34 PM..
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Oh boy, here we go! : )

Well, You always want that super thin neck tone and sustain advantage. It’s the sound of rock, after all.
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh boy, here we go! : )

Well, You always want that super thin neck tone and sustain advantage. It’s the sound of rock, after all.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Musikraf...53.m1438.l2649

Buy that, its what you want
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yuri, my own experience agrees with your statement.
The chunkier necks on most any guitar seem to help tone and sustain.
It's all relative to personal tastes at a certain point, but I have heard the differences myself.
The mass and the material of the neck makes a difference.
Maple necks sound brighter and punchier to me than mahogony which has a darker sound, a softer response.
Heck, just changing tuners can change the tone in a radical way!

Also, the balance of the instrument... neck heavy vs. body heavy...
A lot of people don't realize that there is thought that goes into the design of headstocks to provide sufficient mass for balance.

CB
Agree on all points
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Close, but no V. It’s really THE V that brings the UBERTONE, you know. The mystical UBERTONE V.

Also, The one you linked is no longer available.
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agree on all points
You would. : )

Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Close, but no V. It’s really THE V that brings the UBERTONE, you know. The mystical UBERTONE V.

Also, The one you linked is no longer available.
It was when i put it up. Went dirt cheap too.
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You would. : )

Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It was when i put it up. Went dirt cheap too.
Went cheap because it was not a V. Hence, no UBERTONE.
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Went cheap because it was not a V. Hence, no UBERTONE.
It was actually an Uber-uber tone type neck.
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It was actually an Uber-uber tone type neck.
Impossible. No V-shape. "Its just physics". : )
Old 6th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Impossible. No V-shape. "Its just physics". : )
We got to man you up. Get you to play real-size necks for that beefy, punchy uber-uber-uberest tone
Old 6th October 2019
Lives for gear

I'm sure.
Old 6th October 2019
Lives for gear

Also, you’re not allowed to add just a bunch of extra Uber’s in like that. You got two or three extra Ubers going on in places, so I’m calling shenanigans. There’s only one Ubertone and it comes from the super skinny maple Strat neck. Let the record show. Boom shack a lacka lacka, boom shack a lacka lacka!
Old 6th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, you’re not allowed to add just a bunch of extra Uber’s in like that. You got two or three extra tubers going on in places, so I’m calling shenanigans. There’s only one Ubertone and it comes from the super skinny maple Strat neck. Let the record show. Boom shack a lack Alaca boom shack a lack Alaca
Yavoll.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement for Fullerton '57 Strat-capture.jpg  
Old 6th October 2019
Lives for gear

V

Thats the skinny.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search