The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I Bet You Don't Know What Bass This Is! Plugin Bundles
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

I Bet You Don't Know What Bass This Is!

Came across this electric bass with no identifying labels on it anywhere! Anyone know a Make/Model for this instrument???
Attached Thumbnails
I Bet You Don't Know What Bass This Is!-img_3349.jpg  
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Some sort of Japanese teisco
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Some sort of Japanese teisco
Oh, that narrows it down. ) :

cheers,

audioforce
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post

cheers,

audioforce
I think I might. My first bass (1966-ish?) was a "Lindell." Awful. And that one looks almost exactly like it.
Old 6 days ago
6x3
Here for the gear

del rey
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post

cheers,

audioforce
Google teisco Japanese bass... then click on the image tab... you’ll find it... promise
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Google teisco Japanese bass... then click on the image tab... you’ll find it... promise
Do the same thing with "Lindell Bass." Very first photo -- different knobs, dead on otherwise.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Tiesco St George... 1962?

Anyhoo... google that
Old 6 days ago
It's a Teisco. Primary name was Teisco Del Rey but it was sold under at least a dozen different names, probably more. Many department stores and dime stores sold them under their own house brand.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Do the same thing with "Lindell Bass." Very first photo -- different knobs, dead on otherwise.
I’m no expert but I think the same factory made OEM gtrs for whomever paid them... so, the same run could have 5 different logos

I picked up one because the internet, but, I guess I’m not a hipster because it just felt like a cheap old pawn shop gtr... and not in a good way, just like a gtr that was crappy and cheap when it was brand new except now it was old with character and patina... and still crappy

But, I’m a b3 player lol
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Also, google “why do hipsters love crappy vintage Asian knock offs?”

There are some legit good ones, by the way!

If you’ve been bitten by the teisco fever, check out goodwill’s website... they have GOBS of them
Old 6 days ago
6x3
Here for the gear

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
It's a Teisco. Primary name was Teisco Del Rey but it was sold under at least a dozen different names, probably more. Many department stores and dime stores sold them under their own house brand.
not 100% sure, based on the cut of the headstock and some other details, but i don't think this is a TEISCO. almost certain that this is an early Fujigen (Demian was their house brand) bass, sold under a number of different names. same with a lot of the St. George, Lindell, etc guitars and basses that have been mentioned already.

they also made the VN-2/4 baritone:

and the EJ-2, which is most notably used by Jon Spencer:

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

then again, a lot of their ideas were inspired by early TEISCO guitars and basses. TEISCO also used a very similar headstock shape for their "Hound Dog Taylor" SS4L guitar, which Fujigen/Demian copied various aspects of:

(while this looks very similar to the VN-2/4 which copied the look of the fret markers and control plate, the only real identical feature between them is the small bridge assembly.)

however, you can see on this one that it uses the chrome "tombstone" shaped truss-rod cover, which is pretty much exclusive to Fujigen/Demian (this pretty much tells us exactly what the OP bass is, just an earlier version):

https://reverb.com/item/518066-1960s...isco-with-case

i'll bet that thing plays great, and sounds awesome.

here's an early EJ-2, before they switched to the chrome/metal covers:

Last edited by jbuonacc; 4 days ago at 04:21 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Frankly, I don't understand the interest in these guitars. They're barely fit for paddling a canoe.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Frankly, I don't understand the interest in these guitars. They're barely fit for paddling a canoe.
that's nice?

... at least now maybe you've learned that they're not all made by TEISCO.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
that's nice?

... at least now maybe you've learned that they're not all made by TEISCO.
Yeah, I already knew that. but this one sure looks like a Teisco to me.

The head design is not even close to being indicative, as Teisco used at least half a dozen different head shapes, if not more.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, I already knew that. but this one sure looks like a Teisco to me.

The head design is not even close to being indicative, as Teisco used at least half a dozen different head shapes, if not more.
right... they all look like TEISCOs to you, as we've seen from your previous answers to these types of questions. anyway, headstock design can be very indicative in the right case.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
right... they all look like TEISCOs to you, as we've seen from your previous answers to these types of questions. anyway, headstock design can be very indicative in the right case.
Before we start getting into p|ssing matches over who’s right about a garbage instrument, please try to keep in perspective that nobody here knows for sure what exactly this instrument is... I personally think I nailed it with the st George imho lol
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JojoMaloney View Post
Came across this electric bass with no identifying labels on it anywhere! Anyone know a Make/Model for this instrument???
Anything stamped on the neck plate
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Before we start getting into p|ssing matches over who’s right about a garbage instrument, please try to keep in perspective that nobody here knows for sure what exactly this instrument is... I personally think I nailed it with the st George imho lol
uhh, yeah... and many St. George guitars were made by Fujigen/Demian. like i said.

here's another St. George that features many Fujigen indicators:

https://drowninginguitars.com/2013/1...e-mp-3-guitar/

EDIT: ...but then again, here's an earlier one that was definitely made by TEISCO:

the name brand (St. George, Lindell, Zim-Gar, etc) doesn't really matter so much, the only thing of importance is the factory in which it was made.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
uhh, yeah... and many St. George guitars were made by Fujigen/Demian. like i said.

here's another St. George that features many Fujigen indicators:

https://drowninginguitars.com/2013/1...e-mp-3-guitar/

EDIT: ...but then again, here's one that was definitely made by TEISCO:

Whatever... who cares?!

The st George was a house brand of beginner instruments for a music store in Hollywood... I think the family owned stores in NYC, too. They contracted with a manufacturer in japan called Shiro (aria)... who apparently sourced a lot of production all over the place.. some of these were actually made in riverside, CA, too

Again... even the OP cares so little that he hasn’t posted boo here since the first post, so, at this point... who cares?! Lol
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whatever... who cares?!

The st George was a house brand of beginner instruments for a music store in Hollywood... I think the family owned stores in NYC, too. They contracted with a manufacturer in japan called Shiro (aria)... who apparently sourced a lot of production all over the place.. some of these were actually made in riverside, CA, too

Again... even the OP cares so little that he hasn’t posted boo here since the first post, so, at this point... who cares?! Lol
i sure do, and many others that "get it". a lot of these guitars give you something that you're not going to find with a "decent" guitar. great for slide, the pickups are full of character, they just make you play in a different way altogether sometimes.

those EJ-2 guitars that Jon Spencer plays are perfect rock n' roll machines. had a handful of them, wish i had kept them. if someone tried telling me it was a "TEISCO" they'd be wrong (though you'll commonly find them advertised as such.).
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
How old are you? Were you even around when these instruments (and I do use the term, er, conditionally) were current?

Did you ever see these things new, in the stores, with the original badging?

Or are you merely going by internets hearsay?
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
I'm inclined to agree.

ST George was, of course, a label that was primarily manufactured by Teisco Del Ray, although there's a possibility that some manufacturing runs were actually subcontracted to other factories - as was common practice for Japanese junk guitars of that era.

When you get right down to it, it really doesn't matter much or at all which factory a particular instrument (cough-cough) came out of, since it was all "Japan, Incorporated" and the US distributors really did not give a damn which factory built which container load of product as long as they came in at the specified price.

Toward the end of that era some companies did make an effort to create some fairly distinctive looking models - some being poorly made knockoffs of then popular guitars (like the Teisco/Domino copies of the Vox Mark and Teardrop series), and some being just weird looking, but this ain't one of them.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
How old are you? Were you even around when these instruments (and I do use the term, er, conditionally) were current?

Did you ever see these things new, in the stores, with the original badging?

Or are you merely going by internets hearsay?
no, i wasn't (born in '76). does it matter? you old guys that were there obviously didn't learn much from the experience.

i've spent way too many hours looking at thousands of pics/listings of these guitars, reading accounts from people who were there (and actually gave a damn enough to find out more), and from owning a good number of them myself (some of those pics above are mine). i've probably already forgotten more than you've ever known about these things. five years ago i probably could have written a small book.

at first they all looked the same to me as well. i even bought one of those TEISCO pickguards because i didn't notice that it was different from the one on the Fujigen EJ-2. after that i started looking really closely at all the details of each guitar i came across. i was mainly interested in just certain models/designs, but even that was a complete headache. overall, i'd agree that there's almost no rhyme or reason to any of it, which is why i say the most important factor is the factory of origin.

this is a good article:

https://reverb.com/news/its-not-all-...-guitar-makers

...but all we ever hear from you on the matter is "Looks like a Teisco, short for Teisco Del Ray. They were junk. (grumble, grumble, farts)"

Last edited by jbuonacc; 5 days ago at 02:59 AM..
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
i sure do, and many others that "get it". a lot of these guitars give you something that you're not going to find with a "decent" guitar. great for slide, the pickups are full of character, they just make you play in a different way altogether sometimes.

those EJ-2 guitars that Jon Spencer plays are perfect rock n' roll machines. had a handful of them, wish i had kept them. if someone tried telling me it was a "TEISCO" they'd be wrong (though you'll commonly find them advertised as such.).
<shakes head>

Whatever.

I didn't think a hell of a lot of him when I did sound for Boss Hog and my opinion has not changed really.

Hipsters don't impress me.

And I wouldn't call them "perfect rock and roll machines" by any means. Those were junk that beginning guitarists got rid of as soon as they could afford something better - like a Duo-Sonic or a Melody Maker.

I would call them barely playable junk, if that.

If I were the type to profit by taking advantage of fools I'd regret the hundreds of them that I passed up for $5 at flea markets, but you know something? I'm not a con man or a crook, so I don't.

And I don't have a very high opinion of those who do.

FWIW (not much) if you google "EJ-2 guitar" most of the listings that come up identify it as a Teisco model. Not that it matters, since Teisco often subcontracted to other factories.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm inclined to agree.

ST George was, of course, a label that was primarily manufactured by Teisco Del Ray, although there's a possibility that some manufacturing runs were actually subcontracted to other factories - as was common practice for Japanese junk guitars of that era.

When you get right down to it, it really doesn't matter much or at all which factory a particular instrument (cough-cough) came out of, since it was all "Japan, Incorporated" and the US distributors really did not give a damn which factory built which container load of product as long as they came in at the specified price.

Toward the end of that era some companies did make an effort to create some fairly distinctive looking models - some being poorly made knockoffs of then popular guitars (like the Teisco/Domino copies of the Vox Mark and Teardrop series), and some being just weird looking, but this ain't one of them.
this is just ridiculous. all of it.

btw - some of the Domino copies weren't made by Teisco (i'd agree on the VOX copies, but that was probably Kawai-era "Teisco"), but by Fujigen. they also made some cool Hagstrom copies (basically an EJ cut into a different shape, with different hardware):

that's what these threads are for, so people can actually learn about these guitars. not for old grumps to further muddy the waters and push ignorance.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
... FWIW (not much) if you google "EJ-2 guitar" most of the listings that come up identify it as a Teisco model. Not that it matters, since Teisco often subcontracted to other factories.
of course, thanks to people like yourself. there is nothing "Teisco" about the EJ-2. at all.
Old 5 days ago
[QUOTE=jbuonacc;13985512
those EJ-2 guitars that Jon Spencer plays are perfect rock n' roll machines. had a handful of them, wish i had kept them. if someone tried telling me it was a "TEISCO" they'd be wrong (though you'll commonly find them advertised as such.).[/QUOTE]

That's like saying that a go-kart with a fouled carburetor is the perfect Indy 500 racer.

Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search