The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Gibson GA-5 (1958-61) Current Value?
Old 29th April 2019
Here for the gear

Gibson GA-5 (1958-61) Current Value?

Hello all, I am Corwin, a new user here. I was wondering what your thoughts are on the price of a vintage 1958-61 Gibson GA-5 amplifier. I have an opportunity to purchase one for just under $700.US. It seems to be in quite good condition and has the original speaker as well. Is the price too high for the current market? The model is somewhere between the "T.V. style" front and the "Skylark", but still only says "Gibson" in the middle of the silver faceplate. It has the larger speaker in it, I believe that would be the 10" speaker? Any information/feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 30th April 2019
Greetings CorwinHell,

Welcome to Gearslutz!
Old 30th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorwinHell View Post
Hello all, I am Corwin, a new user here. I was wondering what your thoughts are on the price of a vintage 1958-61 Gibson GA-5 amplifier. I have an opportunity to purchase one for just under $700.US. It seems to be in quite good condition and has the original speaker as well. Is the price too high for the current market? The model is somewhere between the "T.V. style" front and the "Skylark", but still only says "Gibson" in the middle of the silver faceplate. It has the larger speaker in it, I believe that would be the 10" speaker? Any information/feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Hi, where are you based? That will affect the price. For a regular 58-61 Skylark the price seems a bit too high if you look at Reverb.com (https://reverb.com/p/gibson-ga-5-skylark-1), particularly if you are in the US, where these amps are more frequent. However, it should be said that the version with the 10" speaker is supposed to be particularly nice (Malcolm Burn, the great producer who worked with Lanois, Dylan, Giant Sand, Chris Whitley, etc.. swears by this version).

I have a 1959 Skylark (small speaker version) that I love. It's a great amplifier, similar to a tweed Fender Champ. I find it to be a little bit more bluesy and darker than my GA-9 Gibsonette from 1958, but I have a feeling that may be due to the Skylark's smaller speaker.
Old 30th April 2019
Lives for gear

You will find there is very little consensus on the value of Gibson amplifiers. First, most of the early Gibson amplifiers are under-powered and while cool in their own right are hit or miss in respect to traditional tone and overdrive characteristics. Add in that from '62 on they are a crap shoot and most players simply don't have the experience with the extensive list of models to know what they are missing.

The "tweed" era of Gibson amps, while the golden era for Gibson amplification, still has a few dogs hanging out there.

But the good ones - hard to beat and terribly undervalued. And the Gibson GA-5 with a 10" speaker is certainly one of the undervalued gems. In my opinion every bit the tone value of a tweed Champ for tons less. If it is a great sounding, good condition, maintained in the "right" way amplifier then I wouldn't sweat the price so much. It's a bargain - especially if a non-trem version.

I personally have around six or seven tweed Gibson amplifiers ranging from a couple of GA-5's to my personal fave (GA-30RV) and every single one is a classic Fender tweed *killer*. One of my favorite amps they made is a little two 6v6 champ-like early model that is actually true push push.

short story - tweed champ for tons less so don't sweat the price if it is a good example. Some day people are gonna' get hip and these are going to get more and more desirable.

Cheers,
Brock
Old 1st May 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks for your thoughts and information. I will think about my options and get back to you with any conclusion I come up with. Thanks again! Cheers!
Old 1st May 2019
Quote:
According to my price guide the amp is not '58-61, it is a '64 and was only made for one year in the brown tolex with the 10" speaker. Book price in excellent condition ie $350-$475. So yes, according to the 2018 Vintage Guitar Price guide the price is too high - about half that would be about right.

The black version, made between '65 and '67, is less - $250-$325.

Older versions came with the 8" speaker. The gold colored ones made in '57-'59 are worth $400-$525, the '60-'62 are $370 -$500. The '63, brown with an 8" is $350-$475.

The last version, made in '68 is $200-$275.

All prices for excellent condition with intact logo, handle, grille and Tolex.

The 8" versions are listed as being 4.5 watt amps while the 10" versions are 10 watts.

The GA-5T versions with tremolo are worth slightly less.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
According to my price guide the amp is not '58-61, it is a '64 and was only made for one year in the brown tolex with the 10" speaker. Book price in excellent condition ie $350-$475. So yes, according to the 2018 Vintage Guitar Price guide the price is too high - about half that would be about right.

The black version, made between '65 and '67, is less - $250-$325.

Older versions came with the 8" speaker. The gold colored ones made in '57-'59 are worth $400-$525, the '60-'62 are $370 -$500. The '63, brown with an 8" is $350-$475.

The last version, made in '68 is $200-$275.

All prices for excellent condition with intact logo, handle, grille and Tolex.

The 8" versions are listed as being 4.5 watt amps while the 10" versions are 10 watts.

The GA-5T versions with tremolo are worth slightly less.
Your book is wrong on several counts. Those were all cream from '58 until about 1962 (although there are some examples of black tolex of a different style than what came later that I've encountered on earlier 50's models - rarely). And it gets confusing as there were several amps that ended up with odd GA #'s being re-used and, in this case, Skylark being attributed to multiple circuit designs, the original circuit starting out as the Les Paul Jr., etc. Some early models have 10" speakers, most have 5"x7" oval speakers.

In 1963ish they changed to brown tolex. In '65 to the white faceplate.

In regards to the OP's amp - the tube compliment will settle the story as to the era of the amplifier (The 6V6 version being the one ya' want in my opinion). It gets confusing since it started out as the Les Paul Jr with two different speaker types, became the Skylark around '57 and had a 10" until '61 and then the circuitry and speaker changed and all went downhill leading to the invention of Justin Bieber and wine based Margaritas.

To make it simple, if it has a 10" speaker and a 6V6 then it is either the earlier TV or a Skylark from 1957-61ish. If it has two 6AQ5's then it is later and a bit on the doggish side.

As for value - they have gone up. If you click on the Reverb link suggesting that $700 is too much it takes you to one that is 599 plus 100 shipping and then lists several at a higher price. A decent retail value is realistically about $500-600 depending on condition and originality, but they are still severely undervalued so if I were shopping for one to keep I wouldn't sweat the price too much. It's still a couple of grand cheaper than a tweed Champ and in many ways a cooler amplifier.

My opinion (and some facts).

Cheers,
Brock
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

FWIW: the lead guitarist in my band bought one about 3 years ago - don't recall how much he paid for it but it was NOT in the $700 range. However, his sounds fantastic. I think his is a late 50's.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx View Post
FWIW: the lead guitarist in my band bought one about 3 years ago - don't recall how much he paid for it but it was NOT in the $700 range. However, his sounds fantastic. I think his is a late 50's.
Ask him how much it would take to buy it. I bet it is in the $700 range now... ;~)
Old 4th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
Your book is wrong on several counts. Those were all cream from '58 until about 1962 (although there are some examples of black tolex of a different style than what came later that I've encountered on earlier 50's models - rarely). And it gets confusing as there were several amps that ended up with odd GA #'s being re-used and, in this case, Skylark being attributed to multiple circuit designs, the original circuit starting out as the Les Paul Jr., etc. Some early models have 10" speakers, most have 5"x7" oval speakers.

In 1963ish they changed to brown tolex. In '65 to the white faceplate.

In regards to the OP's amp - the tube compliment will settle the story as to the era of the amplifier (The 6V6 version being the one ya' want in my opinion). It gets confusing since it started out as the Les Paul Jr with two different speaker types, became the Skylark around '57 and had a 10" until '61 and then the circuitry and speaker changed and all went downhill leading to the invention of Justin Bieber and wine based Margaritas.

To make it simple, if it has a 10" speaker and a 6V6 then it is either the earlier TV or a Skylark from 1957-61ish. If it has two 6AQ5's then it is later and a bit on the doggish side.

As for value - they have gone up. If you click on the Reverb link suggesting that $700 is too much it takes you to one that is 599 plus 100 shipping and then lists several at a higher price. A decent retail value is realistically about $500-600 depending on condition and originality, but they are still severely undervalued so if I were shopping for one to keep I wouldn't sweat the price too much. It's still a couple of grand cheaper than a tweed Champ and in many ways a cooler amplifier.

My opinion (and some facts).

Cheers,
Brock
You're right it gets confusing. The book actually has listings for several amps in the GA-5 series, but they didn't fit the OP's description of an amp with a 10" speaker. and a"GA-5" model number. There are also GA-5 LP Jr., GA-5 LP Jr Ri, GA-5T, and GA-5W models.There are also things like the GA-7 Les Paul TV Model amp, whjich is a basic 4 watt GA-5 with different graphics.

As to "Prices going up", something is worth what you can reasonably get for it. If you're a store or a well financed professional EBay or Reverb seller you can afford to advertise something forever and hope for a bite.

That's not what you can expect to get if you need to sell in a reasonable amount of time, nor is it what you should be willing to pay unless you're really in a hurry for some reason or perhaps just a wee bit foolish. (Of whom there are many these days.)
Old 4th May 2019
Lives for gear

Right. So if you check Ebay’s Sold listings you find the Crestlines are going for $350 and up while pre ‘62 sold for minimum of $450 and up to $700 or more with shipping. It’s in my saved searches and I know every one that has sold over the last three years. I’m fairly confident in my valuation. You may need to update your book...

Cheers,
Brock
Old 6th May 2019
Quote:
Right. So if you check Ebay’s Sold listings you find the Crestlines are going for $350 and up while pre ‘62 sold for minimum of $450 and up to $700 or more with shipping. It’s in my saved searches and I know every one that has sold over the last three years. I’m fairly confident in my valuation. You may need to update your book...

Cheers,
Brock
It's not "my" book, it's printed by Vintage Guitar magazine and is one ot the standard tools for determining value. Mine's a year old but I doubt prices have changed that much in one year.

About $35 at Amazon.
Old 6th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's not "my" book, it's printed by Vintage Guitar magazine and is one ot the standard tools for determining value. Mine's a year old but I doubt prices have changed that much in one year.

About $35 at Amazon.
Thank you for the obtuse response. I'm pretty sure that 99.99% of the rest of Gearslutz that read this post understood that I meant the book in your possession.

Meanwhile I've presented real world selling prices and you have presented prices from a $35.00 book from Amazon. Obviously it is wrong. So you keep on keeping on using your book to determine values and informing you of the wrong year things were manufactured and I'll keep using real world selling prices.

What I wouldn't do is use that book to suggest values for others as it is obviously incomplete at best and at worst just plain wrong.

Cheers,
Brock
Old 6th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hello all, I am Corwin, a new user here...
I'm all for individuality. But I dig legibility, too. Especially here. Enough with the HTML, already. :-)

And yes, welcome.
Old 6th May 2019
Quote:
Thank you for the obtuse response. I'm pretty sure that 99.99% of the rest of Gearslutz that read this post understood that I meant the book in your possession.
Then why are you inanely telling me that "I" need to update "My" book?

That's pretty stupid.

It's an industry standard price guide. I have no control over what it says - and the prices in it are compiled from sources all over the country, not a few outliers on Ebay thjat might have been made by naive wannabe "collectors".

There's only one other reference I know of that is considered more authoritative, which is the Orion Price Guide - aka "the Blue Book" - (published for most markets for used merchandise, very expensive, and with even more conservatively priced listings.)

You want to know what something is reasonably worth, you look it up in a standard price guide (sometimes the price in the guide is actually higher than I'd expect, sometimes it's a lot lower than people like you would want - it's an industry standard averaged over many, many transactions drawn from major retailers, representing typical p[rices.)

You wanna shoot craps in a market you don't really understand, use your method.
Old 6th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Then why are you inanely telling me that "I" need to update "My" book?

That's pretty stupid.

It's an industry standard price guide. I have no control over what it says - and the prices in it are compiled from sources all over the country, not a few outliers on Ebay thjat might have been made by naive wannabe "collectors".

There's only one other reference I know of that is considered more authoritative, which is the Orion Price Guide - aka "the Blue Book" - (published for most markets for used merchandise, very expensive, and with even more conservatively priced listings.)

You want to know what something is reasonably worth, you look it up in a standard price guide (sometimes the price in the guide is actually higher than I'd expect, sometimes it's a lot lower than people like you would want - it's an industry standard averaged over many, many transactions drawn from major retailers, representing typical p[rices.)

You wanna shoot craps in a market you don't really understand, use your method.
Oh I'm pretty sure I understand the market. I've been selling and buying low wattage tube amps for 30 years with many of those spent managing retail music stores. I personally own about 7-8 vintage Gibson amplifiers and around 50 low wattage combos. So you can keep stating that your book is correct versus real world evidence of actual sales over many years of experience but that still won't make you right. You might as well be watching me finish building a house and telling me I'm doing it wrong because your book said so.

And when I stated you should update your book - I'm sure most people understood what I meant. I appreciate you wanting to argue for the sake of arguing and I appreciate that you have a large amount of experience and knowledge. What you don't have is factual information on this particular topic and neither does your book.

Regards,
Brock
Attached Thumbnails
Gibson GA-5 (1958-61) Current Value?-amps.jpg   Gibson GA-5 (1958-61) Current Value?-img_2080.jpg  

Last edited by Bstapper; 6th May 2019 at 08:22 PM..
Old 7th May 2019
Quote:
Oh I'm pretty sure I understand the market. I've been selling and buying low wattage tube amps for 30 years with many of those spent managing retail music stores. I personally own about 7-8 vintage Gibson amplifiers and around 50 low wattage combos. So you can keep stating that your book is correct versus real world evidence of actual sales over many years of experience but that still won't make you right. You might as well be watching me finish building a house and telling me I'm doing it wrong because your book said so.

And when I stated you should update your book - I'm sure most people understood what I meant. I appreciate you wanting to argue for the sake of arguing and I appreciate that you have a large amount of experience and knowledge. What you don't have is factual information on this particular topic and neither does your book.

Regards,
Brock
By that way of thinking, neither do you. All you have is one person's biased experience. And by your own words right above you're a collector of small amps including old Gibsons and therefore will have a psychological tendency to overvalue what you collect - it's only human nature. And if you're in the business of buying and selling (as I have been), you have a vested interest in keeping prices high.

A certain type of used gear pimp has been a major factor over the last 2-3 decades in causing rampant overinflation of older equipment, leading to a situation where junk guitars and amps often fetch absurdly inflated prices simply on fad value. Like $500 for Teisco guitars which went for $29.95 new that are total junk and I wouldn't have bought at a flea market for $10. Try selling one of those to a dealer - you're still lucky to get $50 in today's inflated market but the dealer will put it in the showcase with a $500- tag because a certain rock star turned it into a fad collectible. Where it will sit, waiting on a sucker who thinks he's building a "collection" - which will be next to worthless when the fad dies down.

Beanie Babies, anybody?

And I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing. I'm arguing for the sake of fair prices and sanity in the market - not conning some poor rube into overpaying for a vastly inflated "collectible".

FWIW, I made a considerable percentage of my income buying and selling used gear from the early 70s, through the '80s and worked for most of the major guitar stores in ther SF area up to the '90s, and still am an active buyer in the pro audio market - but I don't pay stupidly inflated prices and I recommend that others resist the impulse.

About building a house - if I watch you building a house and tell you you're doing it wrong it might not mean a damn thing to you - but it sure as hell will mean something when the building inspector slaps a "condemned" sign on it and orders it torn down. If you'd listened you might not have wasted your money.

As you "updating" my book - I don't publish it. If you mean buying a new copy, I do that every couple of years - I really don't see much price movement these days. As far as I can see the market is more or less flat and shrinking. I'm a lot more interested in high end pro audio these days, which still shows some life if you know what you're doing.

There are a couple areas in the guitar market that I think [I]should[I] be going up right now but they don't appear to be. They're not the current fad markets, they're longer term stuff. But I'm not going to elaborate because I don't want to see those areas get inflated too.

Last edited by John Eppstein; 7th May 2019 at 12:40 AM..
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

And yet I cited real world *sold* prices. You read from a book.
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

Regards,
Brock
99.9% of the people in this world would shut up after getting owned this bad. Eppstein won’t, but if he was even half as smart as he thinks he is, he’d let this one go. I almost feel bad for him getting exposed like this.

Almost.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weepit View Post
99.9% of the people in this world would shut up after getting owned this bad. Eppstein won’t, but if he was even half as smart as he thinks he is, he’d let this one go. I almost feel bad for him getting exposed like this.

Almost.
He has an abnormal devotion to "his" book. Almost cult-like considering he is willing to believe it over factual evidence.

Seven of them for sale by a bunch of scammers on Reverb right now - none of which apparently own that price book as they are all $700 and up:

https://reverb.com/p/gibson-ga-5-skylark-1

Six from 1958-1961 recently purchased (*sold listings*) by idiots on Ebay who obviously don't own that book as they went for $415-664 plus shipping. Buncha maroons... If only they had John to advise them they could have bought one much cheaper.

Google shopping is, of course, going to be all retail pricing. Currently shows several from 500-900.

I'm not usually one to tout Guitar Center's knowledge of vintage gear so obviously have to take this one with a grain of salt. But there it is - valued at $599.99 plus tax and shipping (which adds up to that magical $700 range).

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gi...xoCtn0QAvD_BwE

What's interesting about the Guitar Center listing is the "similar items" tab- which shows what a bargain these amps are. For the same price (inflated in John's opinion) you can get yourself a Blues Junior or a new piece of crap 5 watt Marshall. And to further reiterate what a bargain these amps are all you have to do is check the current pricing of a Tweed Champ.

Pretty satisfied with my $450-650 range for that era of GA-5.

Maybe John can take a picture of the page in his book and post lots of rambling beenie baby stories to counter this evidence...

Cheers,
Brock
Old 7th May 2019
Quote:
And yet I cited real world *sold* prices. You read from a book.
On Ebay. Which is hardly typical. The high "sold" prices on Ebay merely indicate what some sucker was willing to pay once. There are people who list gear on Ebay for literally years, waiting for some fool with more cash than sense.

An average of all sales might be a better indicator, but I'll take typical prices harvested from stores (and averaged) for a closer valuation.

And store prices are almost always higher than what an independent seller can expect to get in a reasonable amount of time.

I might take Ebay sold listings to use for an insurance estimate, because replacement value is what you have to spend in a hurry after your stuff is stolen or burns in a fire, and therefore should be estimated at top dollar. But it's not a true reflection of market value.
Old 7th May 2019
Quote:
He has an abnormal devotion to "his" book. Almost cult-like considering he is willing to believe it over factual evidence.

Seven of them for sale by a bunch of scammers on Reverb right now - none of which apparently own that price book as they are all $700 and up:

https://reverb.com/p/gibson-ga-5-skylark-1

Six from 1958-1961 recently purchased (*sold listings*) by idiots on Ebay who obviously don't own that book as they went for $415-664 plus shipping. Buncha maroons... If only they had John to advise them they could have bought one much cheaper.

Google shopping is, of course, going to be all retail pricing. Currently shows several from 500-900.

I'm not usually one to tout Guitar Center's knowledge of vintage gear so obviously have to take this one with a grain of salt. But there it is - valued at $599.99 plus tax and shipping (which adds up to that magical $700 range).

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gi...xoCtn0QAvD_BwE

What's interesting about the Guitar Center listing is the "similar items" tab- which shows what a bargain these amps are. For the same price (inflated in John's opinion) you can get yourself a Blues Junior or a new piece of crap 5 watt Marshall. And to further reiterate what a bargain these amps are all you have to do is check the current pricing of a Tweed Champ.

Pretty satisfied with my $450-650 range for that era of GA-5.

Maybe John can take a picture of the page in his book and post lots of rambling beenie baby stories to counter this evidence...

Cheers,
Brock
Guitar Center nearly ALWAYS overvalues "vintage" equipment. And they always follow fad prices.

I guess you don't understand the "Beanie Baby" reference - the Beanie Baby fad is considered a classic example of a fad bubble in the "collectible" market. While the fad was biog prices for many Beanie Baby dolls went through the roof - hundreds, even thousands for a stupid doll. Now you can't give 'em away and a lot of people who "invested" in their "collection" at the height of the fad lost their shirts.

But I do have to give you some props for so vigorously defending your inflated prices on your merchandise.

EDIT: To tell the truth, I'd find it difficult to justify spending $350 for most GA5s - they're not that popular and not nearly as versatile as a tweed Champ.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Guitar Center nearly ALWAYS overvalues "vintage" equipment. And they always follow fad prices.

I guess you don't understand the "Beanie Baby" reference - the Beanie Baby fad is considered a classic example of a fad bubble in the "collectible" market. While the fad was biog prices for many Beanie Baby dolls went through the roof - hundreds, even thousands for a stupid doll. Now you can't give 'em away and a lot of people who "invested" in their "collection" at the height of the fad lost their shirts.

But I do have to give you some props for so vigorously defending your inflated prices on your merchandise.

EDIT: To tell the truth, I'd find it difficult to justify spending $350 for most GA5s - they're not that popular and not nearly as versatile as a tweed Champ.

I once took what you typed as interesting. Now you are just a jackass. Those are all recent sales and none of those were up longer than a nine day listing. And those are only the most recent examples from Ebay as, like I said, I know every Gibson vintage amp that has sold on Ebay over the last three years.

What is hilarious is that you keep pretending that is not representative of the actual market even though it is indeed the actual market. If I put a GA5 up for sale on Ebay history shows I can expect a minimum of $450.00 in five days. That's the reality, jack.

None of my merchandise is for sale so I'm not inflating anything. But for perspective you don't own one, you haven't bought one, and you haven't sold one and didn't even know what year it was confusing it for a much different 1964 front facing panel with a completely different circuit. But let's try this. You show me one example of a 1958-1961 Gibson GA-5 that is available to purchase right now, in decent condition, for $300.00 and I'll shut up. There are tons for sale out there so if that is indeed the real world market you should have no problem putting your money where your mouth is and showing it to us.

As for a Champ being more versatile - you are just talking out of your buttocks at this point. Neither is particularly versatile. They have a killer clean brown sound and a tremendous overdrive and that's that.

finished wasting time on you. You're a joke.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Here's an article written by some guys who obviously are trying to inflate the value of their collection:

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...plifier?page=1

Including a detailed analysis of the differences (or more important to this discussion, the *complete lack of them*) between a GA-5 and a Tweed Champ...
Old 8th May 2019
Quote:
I once took what you typed as interesting. Now you are just a jackass. Those are all recent sales and none of those were up longer than a nine day listing. And those are only the most recent examples from Ebay as, like I said, I know every Gibson vintage amp that has sold on Ebay over the last three years.

What is hilarious is that you keep pretending that is not representative of the actual market even though it is indeed the actual market. If I put a GA5 up for sale on Ebay history shows I can expect a minimum of $450.00 in five days. That's the reality, jack.
Oh, so it's down to $450 now, not $700!

Better - that's a lot closer to book prices. $325 to $525 depending on year.

You have proven my point.

Thank you.
Old 8th May 2019
Quote:
Here's an article written by some guys who obviously are trying to inflate the value of their collection:

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...plifier?page=1

Including a detailed analysis of the differences (or more important to this discussion, the *complete lack of them*) between a GA-5 and a Tweed Champ...
That's total BS. There are great differences between a GA-5 and a Champ, although they did originally both use the same power tube.

But I wouldn't expect you to understand because you're not a real tech and you clearly don't understand that those lowly little resistors and capacitors in the circuit have everything to do with determining the gain structure and to a very large degree the tone of an amp.

The biggest difference between the old Gibson amps and the Fender amps is gain structure. Gibson amps are lower gain and need to be hit a lot harder to get any real grit and distortion (assuming that all the parts are on spec and it's behaving like it did from the factory.) This is because those amps were mostly voiced for lap slide guitar doing Hawaiian music and jazz guitarists, while Leo was taking his cues from honkytonk country guys and early rockers. Those old Gibson lap steels had quite a bit of output and the intended tone was sweet, clean, and not too bright - pretty much the opposite of Fender voicing. Consequently the input stage of the Gibson amps was designed to avoid obvious distortion with the high output steel guitar pickups. Gibson's idea of good guitar tone was guys like Les Paul and Charlie Christian - there's another pickup that had immense output and was intended for smooth jazz tone.

Fender pickups had somewhat less output than Gibsons and consequentially Leo gave his amps more gain.

Leo also evolved his amps very rapidly. Gibson did not. Gibson actually never did manage to get a handle on the requirements for a popular rock and roll amp - partly because they were listening to the wrong advisors and partly because the company was a bit stodgy and didn't care. Ted McCarty had a hell of a time getting Gibson to get behind anything at all forward looking and rock oriented. Most of his greatest innovations originally tanked due to lack of company support.
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh, so it's down to $450 now, not $700!

Better - that's a lot closer to book prices. $325 to $525 depending on year.

You have proven my point.

Thank you.
Let's make this easy on you. Show me the cheapest one you can find for sale on the internet. Or are we to believe that the pre 1962 Gibson GA-5 is the *only* product in the world that isn't available online at market value?

Do it. Show me the cheapest you can find. Post a link. Or STFU.

Thanks,
Brock

Last edited by Bstapper; 8th May 2019 at 05:30 AM..
Old 8th May 2019
Quote:
Let's make this easy on you. Show me the cheapest one you can find for sale on the internet. Or are we to believe that the pre 1962 Gibson GA-5 is the *only* product in the world that isn't available online at market value?

Do it. Show me the cheapest you can find. Post a link. Or STFU.

Thanks,
Brock
Hah, nice try.

I'm not wasting hours searching the internet for the sake of an argument with you - especially since you already conceded my point.

And since you already conceded my point perhaps it's you who should STFU.
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hah, nice try.

I'm not wasting hours searching the internet for the sake of an argument with you - especially since you already conceded my point.

And since you already conceded my point perhaps it's you who should STFU.
Oh I'm sure the readers of mighty Gearslutz have a good idea of what's going on here.

Thanks for conceding. I accept your resignation.
Old 8th May 2019
Quote:
Oh I'm sure the readers of mighty Gearslutz have a good idea of what's going on here.

Thanks for conceding. I accept your resignation.
I have a question for you - what are you willing to PAY for a GA-5 in good shape? The older -5 watt version and the later 10 watt, one price for each?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search