The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gibson SG Plastic Cavity Cover?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Gibson SG Plastic Cavity Cover?

I have a gig this Saturday so I was getting my 2015 Gibson SG Standard and stuff hooked up, presets, pedalboard, sounds etc. When I discovered I was getting this occasional zapping, static or clicking noise from my rig. I am using a looper on 2 songs, so obviously this made me concerned as it was sometimes happening when recording the loop and forever playing throughout the song - doh!

I swapped out some cables, and was still getting it. It seemed to be when I giggle the jack plugged in to the guitar, so I took off the back cavity cover and for a laugh I thought let me try playing without the cover. Holy spanner in the works batman it only stopped it from happening. So I put the plastic cover back on and again I am getting the static.. I really would like to use this guitar so I am thinking fo to do the gig with it left off....

Anyone have this before and should I be concerned about leaving the back off? It's a mild gig and not a sweaty rock show, so I am thinking ti should be okay. Will have a back up guitar just in case.

Longer term I will look for a suitable fix.

Cheers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I get this occasionally on some Strats; the plastic pick-guard being the culprit. I've wiped with a dryer sheet, and that seems to calm it briefly, then it's back with a vengeance.

I'd love to try one of those Milty Zerostat ion guns.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Would putting a copper tap shield on the inside of the cover, then grounding it, help? I've had some issues with this on pickguards before, but never quite solved it (never been enough of a problem to make me solve it). There might be some material that doesn't do that available, I don't know.

If anyone does know, tell us, please. I'll buy a few sheets and cut out some pickguards...
Old 1 week ago
Mine are copper foil lined, insides and covers. No noise here, ever.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
Would putting a copper tap shield on the inside of the cover, then grounding it, help? I've had some issues with this on pickguards before, but never quite solved it (never been enough of a problem to make me solve it). There might be some material that doesn't do that available, I don't know.

If anyone does know, tell us, please. I'll buy a few sheets and cut out some pickguards...
Not here. I had a Strat with foil shielding inside pick-guard grounded to the bridge, and I had static issues with it. Not sure if it's the guard material, dryness of the air, what you are wearing, a combo of all, or what. You would think that a ground connection would drain static.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search