The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Should I ditch my rig for a Fender Blues Deville?
Old 16th April 2019
Here for the gear
Should I ditch my rig for a Fender Blues Deville?

Hey y'all!

The title of this sums up my question, but here's some backstory for those interested.

I currently use a Fender Bassbreaker 15, and a Marshall DSL15. I run either amp through a Marshall cabinet depending on what I'm feeling any given day. The Marshall cab has trashed factory speakers that often leave me wanting more.

I'm not sure how much of my lack of enjoyment in my tone comes from the cabinet and bad speakers, or the amps that I'm currently employing. I'm relatively new to searching for better tone, so this has been a struggle for me to figure out.

I know that I want more present/clear cleans, but at the same time I'd also love good breakup/70's rock tone.

This is where the Fender Blues Deville comes in. A music store about an hour away with a great reputation is selling a pre-owned Fender Blues Deville for $600. Cosmetically it's not great, but the store says it works perfectly. If this is accurate, that means it has four good sounding Alnico speakers, much better than the factory speakers in my Marshall cab. I mostly do home recording, but there's also potential for some light gigging as well.

I wanted to see if anyone had experience with this amp, and would be willing to share their experience.

Thanks so much for your time!
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

You might try a lot of different amps before locking onto one. The store should have a variety. If there is a Guitar Center anywhere hear you, bring your own guitar and spend some time trying out a bunch.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Blues Deville, but that's me. After trying 20 amps, you might very well end up back at the Deville. Everyone you ask will tell you about their favorite amp, and the chances of that being your favorite amp out of all possible choices in the $600 to $800 range are slim.
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

I thought the Blues Deville was awfully mushy on the distortion side of things. Not on my list.
Old 18th April 2019
No, you probably shouldn't.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't ditch it for something else.

I don't like DeVilles and they tend to become unreliable with age.
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear

Rather than buy a used amp that "looks like it's been rode hard and put away wet" for 600 smackers, I think I'd buy 2 x Brand New Alnico Celestion Blues for a little less.

https://celestion.com/product/13/celestion_blue/
Old 20th April 2019
Here for the gear
That's true. One of these weekends I need to travel to a notably good guitar store near me and go through everything they have. Thanks for your response!
Old 20th April 2019
Here for the gear
That's very good to know. One thing I'm looking for is certainly longevity of the amp. Thanks!
Old 20th April 2019
Here for the gear
That's a good idea, I suspect a decent amount of my distaste for the tone comes from using aged/broken factory speakers.
Old 21st April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeymourBhuttes View Post
That's a good idea, I suspect a decent amount of my distaste for the tone comes from using aged/broken factory speakers.
Or it could be that the amp, which is not really a descendant of the original Fender circuit evolution, simply doesn't sound very good unless you're looking for a particular "modernized" sound. There are a lot of shortcuts in the design of these amps and a lot of corners that were cut to bring the cost down.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search