The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic'ing electric guitar solo to be less harsh Dynamic Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Mic'ing electric guitar solo to be less harsh

I need a wah electric guitar solo melody to sit nicely, without ear-destroying high-end, in a fairly dense guitar-based hip hop mix for one small section.

I'm recording a Les Paul through a Marshall Valvestate (the high end one) with a Blueberry or SM58, through an 1176 and DBX160 into the DAW. Mic placement is generally 4-7 inches from speaker, lightly angled/adjusted to fit whatever I'm working on.

The result currently are on the shrill side in places (the wah really puts out some resonance that seems amplified in the mix.)

I've been able to fix things fairly well in the mix, but I feel like its sitting at about 80% of what it could be. I can live with this, but I'd like to explore the extra mile.

Anyone experienced with micing a wah solo and fitting it over a dense mix have any suggestions on getting a more fitting recording to begin with (less highs, less shrill, more balance in a way that isn't muddy), before I commit at this point? Via mic placement or anything else I may overlook?

Last edited by newguy1; 1 week ago at 10:42 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Turn down the treble. : )

Use a ribbon mic.

Get away from the center of the speaker.

Get a different amp.

Get a different wah.

At least one of those should help. ?

Best,

audioforce
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Turn down the treble. : )

Its insane the things you overlook.

I just needed to turn it down here:

Instead of here:

Thank you. Tone quality percentage points gained.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Great! I'm glad you got it to work.

BTW, that Fabfilter stuff is nice, huh? But yeah, get it right at the source, as best you can, so you don't have to tweak.

cheers,

audioforce
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Yep all great suggestions. Neck pickup, don’t push the wah all the way into treble on foot, low pass, compression to make it more even and less lumpy, u def need Soothe plugin, possible deesser, multi band compression. Active eq if same nasty frequencies come up, mic edge of speaker, bring mic in closer than u have.
Old 1 week ago
Get it to sound good at the room, don't point the mic at the dustcap, try the edge of the dustcap instead, that position works more often than not, turn the amp's presence and treble control down, use a smooth wah like a Dunlop CAE, try a different dynamic mic, the Lewitt MTP 440 DM sounds great on guitar amps and it's 99 bucks, use a pultec shelf to cut treble instead of Pro Q.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks everyone. I’ve had my guitar tone and recording process dialed in to where i just place the mic and adjust the gain to fit the song, and that’s that. Sounds great in the kind of mixes i do.

The wah really changed things. Interesting puzzle.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great! I'm glad you got it to work.

BTW, that Fabfilter stuff is nice, huh? But yeah, get it right at the source, as best you can, so you don't have to tweak.

cheers,

audioforce
Fabfilter is great!

I'd just rather not have ear piecing frequencies to notch out, if I can get it a nice even tone going in. The amp EQ alone fixed it, I had the treble cranked, which sounds great recorded into the mix with a straight guitar tone, but it was boosting some nasty stuff with a wah. Wasn't noticeable straight out the amp (at least not enough for me to make that obvious adjustment), but was painful in the mix.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Fabfilter is great!

I'd just rather not have ear piecing frequencies to notch out, if I can get it a nice even tone going in. The amp EQ alone fixed it, I had the treble cranked, which sounds great recorded into the mix with a straight guitar tone, but it was boosting some nasty stuff with a wah. Wasn't noticeable straight out the amp (at least not enough for me to make that obvious adjustment), but was painful in the mix.
Right. What kind of was pedal is it?

Some of them are pretty shrill at the top. Others not so much. Some are adjustable.

Actually, even with the ones that don't actually have an adjustment "knob", you can sometimes get in and adjust the throw where the plastic gear piece turns the pot, but it can be tricky, and sometimes its best to do what you did and just walk it back at the amp.

Anyhow, problem solved, right? Glad it worked out!

Best,

audioforce
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Right. What kind of was pedal is it?

Some of them are pretty shrill at the top. Others not so much. Some are adjustable.

Actually, even with the ones that don't actually have an adjustment "knob", you can sometimes get in and adjust the throw where the plastic gear piece turns the pot, but it can be tricky, and sometimes its best to do what you did and just walk it back at the amp.

Anyhow, problem solved, right? Glad it worked out!

Best,

audioforce
Standard Crybaby. As I dial in the performance I'm not really going all the way to the top anyway, the feel is found a bit lower.

I'm going for something along these lines, the intro to this. A simply melody that needs to have that "masterfully performed" feel to it. Which is tough, there's no blur or layers or wall of sound. The single performance needs to feel masterful. The whole thing is almost dialed in, I'm about 100 takes in since yesterday. The performance is almost entirely muscle memory now, the tone is dialed, I think I'll land the winner tonight.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Standard Crybaby. As I dial in the performance I'm not really going all the way to the top anyway, the feel is found a bit lower.

I'm going for something along these lines, the intro to this. A simply melody that needs to have that "masterfully performed" feel to it. Which is tough, there's no blur or layers or wall of sound. The single performance needs to feel masterful. The whole thing is almost dialed in, I'm about 100 takes in since yesterday. The performance is almost entirely muscle memory now, the tone is dialed, I think I'll land the winner tonight.

Too bad about Cornell.

100 takes in, huh? Well, I remember that.

Go for it. Get it perfect.

Best,

audioforce
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Too bad about Cornell.

100 takes in, huh? Well, I remember that.

Go for it. Get it perfect.

Best,

audioforce
Yep. Haven't used a wah in 10 years. The performance on the record has to be on point or what's the point of any of this? Practice practice practice. I've essentially been recording all my practice.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search