The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
String choice on acoustic guitar Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Nut

String choice on acoustic guitar

I'm not exactly a guitar player (I know my way around one, but I'm a bass player really). I've just bought an Eko Ranger VI (Italian brand, made in China, just a cheap guitar but quirky: bolt-on neck, adjustable bridge, zero fret, blocks for fingerboard markers, nice "Spanish guitar" style finish - very orange). It's a dreadnought and it's got the original strings on but they're already kind of rusty and I feel I could do better anyway. Now the guitar in question is quite loud, but I feel it's a bit lacking in articulation and midrange. The treble strings tend to be overpowered by the bass strings. Knowing that you cannot polish a turd and make it into a diamond, I wish to make the most of what I have.

I see that there are a few different materials for strings:

• 80/20 bronze (brass actually), supposedly "vintage style", bright and probably "raunchier"

• phosphor bronze, considered to be warmer but longer lasting (for the strumming stuff I'd like to do I don't think these are a good choice tonally wise?)

• aluminium bronze, apparently very bright and very bassy (so maybe not a good fit either?)

• silk and steel, apparently softer sounding (maybe better for fingerpicking?)

plus all the coated variations which tend to sound slightly more muffled than the uncoated versions, at least when new (I wouldn't mind longer lasting strings, having consistent sound is good in my book).

What would you suggest?
Old 13th April 2019
Try a load and see what you like. I like 13s in 80/20 or PB, but that's just me, in my room, with my guitar, playing the kind of music I like to play. You just gotta try a few sets.
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

I've been away from playing 6-string steel for about 12 years or so but the only strings I liked to use were Martin strings for the consistent intonation and ware factor. Hated buying new strings of other brands only to take them off after they had settled and I realized they would never do. I'm the same way now with my nylon string guitars, not Martin strings, though. Ernie Ball Ornesto Palla brand.
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Nut

I use Elixars Nano Web 11 - 52. They're considered light strings but doing 3 to 4 hour solo acoustic gigs the heavier ones kill my fingers.
Elixars are expensive but last 3 times longer than non coated strings.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search