The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hi-End Guitar Cable Shoutout (Evidence Audio vs Vovox vs Sommer)
Old 10th April 2019
Here for the gear

Hi-End Guitar Cable Shoutout (Evidence Audio vs Vovox vs Sommer)

Here is Compassion Between two Hi-End guitar cables(Evidence Audio forte and Vovox sonorous A6000) and more mid priced Sommer Cable The spirit . All cables are 6 meters(19.685 foot) long.

video YouTube

As for me I would definitely stay with my Evidence audio.

1. they very flexible and robust – have them for 4 years now no problems.
2. my local dealer selling them by meters so I can by whatever length I need, and its cheaper than pre made cables
3. they have two wires and shield inside, so for the same money you getting twice more cable, it's possible to wire EA forte in stereo, mic, balanced, or Humbuster cable to avoid ground loops on fractal audio devices
4. they come with very robust and widely available Neutrik plugs, so its easy to repair/repace jack if there is a problem
5. Tonny from EA is very nice guy, I had couple questions, he vas very quick on responding me.

I find vovox to have a little bit more scoop in mids, it may seem like brighter cable, but I find it to be a little to harsh for my setup. also I saw several Vovox cables that needed re-soldering.

Sommer cost something like 1/3 of the price of EA or Vovox, for this money it's one of the best sounding cables I seen. not as good as EA but still very good cable for money.

which one do you like?
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Finally,...................... guitar cables.

The ship has landed. Topic of topics.

Hold on. Here we go.

audioforce
Old 10th April 2019
What was the loading of the destination device/amp? Raise that and the sonics change. Disconnect the tone pot and it changes again. Here, I'm all active so it doesn't make any difference what cable I use as the guitars are low impedance. You get the same sound from 5 feet to 100 feet of cable, volume on 2 or 10.
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Nut

Almost any 20ft cable is going to suck some tone with passive pickups.

If your using passive pickups you should consider some sort of active buffer, like this:
Little Labs

or you could just get a shorter cable (10' or less). The difference between different cables the same length is negligible compared to the difference that the length makes, when using a passive source.
Old 13th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Here, I'm all active so it doesn't make any difference what cable I use as the guitars are low impedance. You get the same sound from 5 feet to 100 feet of cable, volume on 2 or 10.
that's why there is guitar with EMG and other guitar with in board buffer, just to show it.
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

Do better sounding cables sound twice as good if you use two of them?
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Head

Sommer Cable "Spirit LLX" is the lowest capacitance cable in the world. You can make a 6 meter cable with neutrik connectors for around 20 euros with it. It has 52 pF/m.

Vovox is 75 pF/m and costs 6 times more.

Evidence Audio Forte I can't find specs for, it also costs 6 times more than the Sommer. Why are they hiding the capacitance spec when they're selling such ridiculously expensive cables?

Why pay 6 times more for higher capacitance than what the Spirit LLX offers? Just cos' of potentially higher flexibility of these two other cables? If I want higher flexibility I can get another Sommer cable that is more flexible Sommer Corona (78 pF/m) or Tricone MKII (85 pF/m), both of these are still way cheaper than these overpriced Vovox and Evidence audio cables.
Old 13th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snivell View Post
Sommer Cable "Spirit LLX" is the lowest capacitance cable in the world. You can make a 6 meter cable with neutrik connectors for around 20 euros with it. It has 52 pF/m.
Vovox is 75 pF/m and costs 6 times more.
Belden 9182 is 8 pf per foot. Some guys have made guitar cables out of those, rather bulky. I use it as a mic cable, 150 ohm impedance and very fast. It's a LAN network cable. Paramount pictures wired their entire foley building with it after auditioning it.
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Guru

Honestly, I prefer cheap cables, as long as they don't break. A little capacitance and HF rolloff never hurt anyone, and tames a little bit of the spit. The volume knob on my guitar is rarely at 10 anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Do better sounding cables sound twice as good if you use two of them?
Dude, stay away from the hi-fi freaks. They actually do this.

Should You Bi-Wire Your Speakers? | Cambridge Audio

(Note: they're not talking about bi-amping. they're just running one set of cables to the woofer side of the crossover, and another to the tweeter side, instead of using the jumper or little bit of wire that's there already)
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Honestly, I prefer cheap cables, as long as they don't break. A little capacitance and HF rolloff never hurt anyone, and tames a little bit of the spit. The volume knob on my guitar is rarely at 10 anyway.
Yeah, you gotta find a cable that sucks the proper amount of tone.

audioforce
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Yeah, you gotta find a cable that sucks the proper amount of tone.
Damn straight. It's subtle. You have to have just the right blend of garbage and s**t, without overdoing either. A connoisseur knows how to savor the difference. But when you nail it, it's like crossing the diamond with the turd.
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Yeah, you gotta find a cable that sucks the proper amount of tone.audioforce
I recall reading decades ago, either an interview or someone talking about how Buddy Guy's tone had a lot to do with the really long cable he used to wander the audience.

Then, I went to see him at his club on South Michigan Ave, and he'd gone wireless. The treble was stripping the enamel off my teeth. I sat there thinking, "Buddy needs his 200 foot cable back."
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

I tend to make my own most of the time. For one thing, I don't LIKE Neutrik 1/4" plugs. I've found Switchcraft to be more robust - I have cables 40-50 years old made from shielded dual center conductor cable that still function just fine (I think it was Belden cable I made them from - it's been a while).

The center barrel of the Switchcraft plug (gnd) is PART of the exterior - not a separate part that's pressed in. So, unless you break the whole plug, that won't come apart, unlike other brands.

It doesn't matter to me too much anymore, though. My guitar cables are made by Line6 and Sennheiser...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search