The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Noise When Recording Bass
Old 9th April 2019
Here for the gear

Noise When Recording Bass

I recently got a Guild Starfire bass - it's awesome! But when I record it through my ampeg DI into my Apollo Twin, there's a really annoying noise. They're single coils but it's not the normal hum (I switch from both pickups to just bridge pickup in the example so you can hear). Any ideas what this might be?

When I come out of the headphone output on the Ampeg DI into my headphones, this noise isnt there. I tried running a solidybody 6 string through the DI into my Apollo and that noise isnt there. It seems to be isolated to the bass.

Bass Noise Test by Franco Slate | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 9th April 2019
I don't hear anything unusual.
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51122 View Post
I recently got a Guild Starfire bass - it's awesome! But when I record it through my ampeg DI into my Apollo Twin, there's a really annoying noise. They're single coils but it's not the normal hum (I switch from both pickups to just bridge pickup in the example so you can hear). Any ideas what this might be?

When I come out of the headphone output on the Ampeg DI into my headphones, this noise isnt there. I tried running a solidybody 6 string through the DI into my Apollo and that noise isnt there. It seems to be isolated to the bass.

Bass Noise Test by Franco Slate | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Sounds like 120hz or so line noise that imo...in the context of the bigger picture of getting some work done......just record the track, then notch out the hum later once you have the bass recorded in the context with other instruments etc.

You can microscope stuff like this all day long, wasting time to find the culprit....only to have it return next wednesday.

Between noise gates, track editing, knocking out a noise after the fact (by the way, spectralayers is super-fast at non-intrusive surgery after-the-fact), just get the track laid down.
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

Did you try the ground lift on the DI? Spinning around the room to see if you can make the noise better/worse?
Old 16th April 2019
Have you checked whether you're connecting balanced inputs to balanced outputs using balanced cables? Or unbalanced to unbalanced?

How close is the bass to your computer screen when playing? Does your distance from the screen affect the noise?
Old 16th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
Sounds like 120hz or so line noise that imo...in the context of the bigger picture of getting some work done......just record the track, then notch out the hum later once you have the bass recorded in the context with other instruments etc.
Actually in terms of tone, feel, and quality, it's almost always better to sort out sonic issues as close to the source as possible. Especially so with things like guitars which will be processed, reamped, distorted, etc - all of which will make noise worse and exaggerate any issues.

Notching out hum and all that kind of processing is a bit of a myth. Even when you can remove the noise, you're losing some tone with it.
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

Does the noise get worse when you take your hands off the strings?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search