The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
versatile pedal with cab sim option Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 4th April 2019
Here for the gear

versatile pedal with cab sim option

Hi there, My usual recording signal path is pedalboard - mesa lonestar - effects loop send - focusrite 2i2 - ableton built in cab sim 2x12 and it has been decent for my purposes. However, I recently started to move away from the DAW and just do fun little ideas on my Elektron Digitakt. I would need something that can actually add a few new fun effects to my setup and also take care of the cab sim part. I am not sure if the new Torpedo CAB M or the Cabzeus Mono is so much better to consider them as a standalone unit. The BigSky has a built in switch, I think the Empress Reverb does something similar but then there are the new releases like the Empress ZOIA, Line6 Helix Stomp, Poly Digit (which I am really curious about)... What are the alternatives? Pros and Cons? I am getting excited about some of the latest ones but they aren't even shipping yet.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

I understand you'd like cab sims built into a multi-effects unit, but if it gets to the point where you find a multi-effects unit you like that doesn't have cab sims you could consider getting a standalone ADA GCS-5 Guitar Cabinet Simulator DI Box. I recently bought one (reasonably priced I think at $169.95) and I think it does a great job. I'm using mine live, going direct out to our mixer, I'm not recording with it.

Here's a sales pitch on the GCS-5:

ADA GCS-5 Guitar Cabinet Simulator & DI Box with 9V Adapter

"The GCS-5 is a compact, lightweight solution for live performance and recording applications. The GCS-5 provides the tone that the combination of speakers, cabinets and microphones deliver without the actual equipment. The GCS-5 features all-analog circuitry and an unconventional set of filters that are tuned to simulate the acoustic resonance of a mic'd guitar speaker cabinet. All of the tonal combinations simulate real-world speaker cabinets and mic placement. The GCS-5 is inserted between the output of your preamplifier, power amp or pedal board and a recording interface or PA system. The GCS-5 puts the guitar player back in control and gives them the opportunity to keep "their tone" consistent from gig to gig as well as in the studio.

Features

AMERICAN-BRITISH style speaker selector.
LEVEL control with LED meter for optimizing INPUT signal level.
Improved, low noise design.
-20db INPUT PAD for connecting large power amp signals
XLR OUTPUT compatible with phantom power
HEADPHONE OUTPUT with level control"

ADA's GCS-5: a hot new contender in the guitar cabinet simulator pedal market? - gearnews.com
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Addict

Impulse responses sound a lot better to my ear than any hardware-only device for cab sim. I use the AMT CP100FX, which I chose because it also has power amp simulation and some great delays/reverbs.

Main drawback is that it does not have a DAW interface, but if you want to move away from your DAW, that doesn't sound like a big issue. It has stereo balanced and unbalanced outs, and a S/PDIF out too, which avoids one digital/analog conversion if your digital recording gear will accept it.
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannis View Post
Impulse responses sound a lot better to my ear than any hardware-only device for cab sim. I use the AMT CP100FX, which I chose because it also has power amp simulation and some great delays/reverbs.

Main drawback is that it does not have a DAW interface, but if you want to move away from your DAW, that doesn't sound like a big issue. It has stereo balanced and unbalanced outs, and a S/PDIF out too, which avoids one digital/analog conversion if your digital recording gear will accept it.
I don't know, not having jumped deeply into the IR world, but I've been using an old ADA MicroCab for live use (on the Magic Setting), and once dialed in, it sounds pretty darn good. I like that it's analogue, which helps limit any latency to just that from my t.c. electronic digital FX box.

Sometimes I think we get too deep into minutiae, and forget to just get a good sound and PLAY. With some time initially spent on dialing it in, and a few adjustments over time, my live sound has both balls and sparkle (don't go there), and has easily beaten any amp sims brought to bear by other guitarists so far (just a couple). I'd say you should try what's out there, without prejudice, and see what sounds good to you.
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
I don't know, not having jumped deeply into the IR world, but I've been using an old ADA MicroCab for live use (on the Magic Setting), and once dialed in, it sounds pretty darn good. I like that it's analogue, which helps limit any latency to just that from my t.c. electronic digital FX box.

Sometimes I think we get too deep into minutiae, and forget to just get a good sound and PLAY. With some time initially spent on dialing it in, and a few adjustments over time, my live sound has both balls and sparkle (don't go there), and has easily beaten any amp sims brought to bear by other guitarists so far (just a couple). I'd say you should try what's out there, without prejudice, and see what sounds good to you.
Fair enough, I haven't tried the ADA - I can only speak from my own experience - and in my experience, IRs are game-changer.

I am using them after a tube preamp, and I don't experience any latency at all.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for all the replies guys. To be honest, I am yet to hear an analog cab sim that actually sounds great. Maybe the Suhr one they did a while back. I totally agree that sometimes we just get lost in the tone hunt so I actually spent the last couple of weeks experimenting with going straight line in with only a little reverb or super clean amp without any pedals and just trying to make that work or even mimicking some of the effects literally "by hand" which I think did improve my playing but now it is just pure gadget time @ Mikhael : it is actually a great point about latency, there seem to be fairly limited info available about that online
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by unalmastolgy View Post
Latency is around 2ms for any processor in the market right now, 1ms likely for specialty devices you mentioned.

Helix has been the bargain for a while now, the stomp seems to fit your needs considering you won't need to open too many fx. Being a swiss army knife, maybe you won't even need to use your Mesa to make things more practical to work with.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unalmastolgy View Post
@ Mikhael : it is actually a great point about latency, there seem to be fairly limited info available about that online
Yeah, they don't go into that much. My deal is that I try to limit how many times I go through A/D-D/A conversions, just as a rule of thumb. No matter how minor or major they may be, if you don't go through it, it won't do it... After all, they all add up.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search