The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Picks and Strings RECYCLE programs
Old 3rd April 2019
Here for the gear

Picks and Strings RECYCLE programs

There must be some company recycling strings and picks, right?

Otherwise that's all landfill waste

I know D'addario have theirs and it's incredibly cool, but that's US only.
Playback – D’Addario’s String Recycling Program

Any insights?

Thanks, all. \m/
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

Well, strings I don't know about, but I can safely say I don't need a pick recycling program. I never wear them out before I lose them...
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

How much plastic do you expect to recycle from old picks? I've thrown away about two in my life.
Old 9th April 2019
Here for the gear

A pick rarely lasts me more than a session, a good 3-4 hours of playing.
Between hard picking on guitar and thick bass strings, they stand absolutely no chance. haha

It would be great if there's some kind of recycling program, metal players especially are hard pickers so tend to go through them faster.
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

+1 on picks - I can't stand a blunt pic, so they only last one gig for me. I buy 'em in bulk.

This being Gearslutz, no doubt somebody will now try to chime in and tell me I'm playing all wrong, and how can I be so ignorant, but please don't bother - I play how I play, and it gets me by (without breaking strings, I might add), and my preference is just that - my preference.

So back to the topic - I don't know about anywhere else in the world, but it's getting increasingly difficult here in the UK to recycle anything plastic that isn't a clear bottle. So if anyone does have any insights, it would be very much appreciated.

As for strings, there's a skip for anything metal at my local recycling centre that I chuck them into.
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
How much plastic do you expect to recycle from old picks? I've thrown away about two in my life.
Not a reply to your post, but to your strapline - 'So long as there's sex and drugs, I could do without the rock'n'roll'
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleeden View Post
Not a reply to your post, but to your strapline - 'So long as there's sex and drugs, I could do without the rock'n'roll'
That's actually a bit weird as the quote you mention (originally from Spinal Tap) is my old sig, whereas the one I have now is another Spinal tap quote saying '"Have. A. Good. Time. All. The. Time - That's my philosophy, Marty."
I wonder it's showing the old one.
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
That's actually a bit weird as the quote you mention (originally from Spinal Tap) is my old sig, whereas the one I have now is another Spinal tap quote saying '"Have. A. Good. Time. All. The. Time - That's my philosophy, Marty."
I wonder it's showing the old one.
No, it’s showing the new one. I didn’t realise you’d previously used the one I quoted. I quoted it in reply to you as a tip of the hat from one Tap fan to another.
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, it’s showing the new one. I didn’t realise you’d previously used the one I quoted. I quoted it in reply to you as a tip of the hat from one Tap fan to another.
I see. It's such a fine line between stupid... and clever.
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Guru

Picks are traditionally made from nitrocellulose, which is highly flammable and not recyclable. They're made from a wide array of materials these days, so I don't think one would be able to specify in general if they're recyclable or not. My local recycle program picks up metal, but the problem on their end is separating materials. If they can't pick it out and sort it, it will end up in a landfill.

I recommend throwing them all in one box and saving them for future generations to deal with. They'll have either come up with the technology, or the environment will be so hosed that it just won't matter.
Old 15th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Picks are traditionally made from nitrocellulose, which is highly flammable and not recyclable. They're made from a wide array of materials these days, so I don't think one would be able to specify in general if they're recyclable or not. My local recycle program picks up metal, but the problem on their end is separating materials. If they can't pick it out and sort it, it will end up in a landfill.

I recommend throwing them all in one box and saving them for future generations to deal with. They'll have either come up with the technology, or the environment will be so hosed that it just won't matter.
Actually, there days most are made from acetyl. There's also picks made from materials like Delrin and Nylon.

I don't remember the last time I used a Nitro pick - or even saw one.

Separating all the different materials could be a problem.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have a special recycling program set up for tortoise shell picks, so you can send all of those to me, please.

Thanks in advance,

audioforce

Save the whales, or some other ecology sh*t. I dunno....whatever. : )
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Isn't there a company that sells a pick with a little piece of sandpaper, so you can just use progressively smaller picks over time?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Isn't there a company that sells a pick with a little piece of sandpaper, so you can just use progressively smaller picks over time?
Ya I was shocked to read people throw them away given they can be sanded and polished (re-beveled) easily

mine seem to find their way into an alternate universe long before I might have sanded them too small
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ya I was shocked to read people throw them away given they can be sanded and polished (re-beveled) easily
At the risk of getting flamed, I'm afraid that one really does get filed under 'Life's Too Short' for me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
At the risk of getting flamed, I'm afraid that one really does get filed under 'Life's Too Short' for me.
I agree. IIRC, the one with the sandpaper was some exotic, expensive pick, not a regular one.

I use my picks until they're just worthless. At that rate, I probably have a lifetime supply.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You can sharpen the point on the carpet. You know that trick?

Best,

audioforce
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post

Best,

audioforce
No - I can’t say I’ve come across that one before.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Steve Vai pick reuse carpet trick:
YouTube
see from 25:10

My point is that they will eventually be unusable, and countless people will not do this carpet thing and just throw them away instead. Was just wondering if there's a program for this that anyone know of. Thanks for the messages, everyone!!!

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlyratatoskr View Post
Steve Vai pick reuse carpet trick:
YouTube
see from 25:10

My point is that they will eventually be unusable, and countless people will not do this carpet thing and just throw them away instead. Was just wondering if there's a program for this that anyone know of. Thanks for the messages, everyone!!!

Ha, I learned the carpet trick from one of my first guitar teachers several decades ago. It actually works.

But the only pick recycling program I know of is the one I have going for genuine tortoise shell picks [or genuine tortoise shell anything], and I continue to encourage everyone to send those my way, of course.

Uhhmm, hug a tree or something like that. And don't litter.

love,

audioforce
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

Best,

audioforce
I heard that one recently. I'll have to try it. I've evicted cats for less, though, so I might be a bit hypocritical if I do it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Flamed, or self immolation ? Unfortunately you are not alone

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I heard that one recently. I'll have to try it. I've evicted cats for less, though, so I might be a bit hypocritical if I do it.
Ha, I doesn't actually do anything to the carpet. Vai was just kidding there, I think.

audioforce
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ha, I doesn't actually do anything to the carpet. Vai was just kidding there, I think.

audioforce
I'm curious what kind of rug Vai uses to recondition his picks. I should probably get the same kind of rug. It might help me to play like Steve Vai. It looks Persian, but I wonder if it's a real one or if it's made in China. There's a difference, you know.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm curious what kind of rug Vai uses to recondition his picks. I should probably get the same kind of rug. It might help me to play like Steve Vai. It looks Persian, but I wonder if it's a real one or if it's made in China. There's a difference, you know.
Via probably has numerous different kinds of rugs to address various specific types of pick wear issues.

Best,

audioforce
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

Best,

audioforce
The CARPORT?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
The CARPORT?
If its a carpeted carport, then yes. Otherwise, ............?

cheers,

audioforce
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search