The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do you think about when you play? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 17th April 2019
  #121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
I thought the cake reference was about McArthur Park......

one of the worst lyrics ever.... obscure old guy rambling......
LSD.

At the time, even that connection wasn't enough to buy much of a sympathetic listen from me, though I did check the Jimmy Webb-written and produced Richard Harris album ("A Tramp Shining") out of my local library -- and was impressed by the seemingly obsessive thoroughness of songwriter Webb's vision for the album.

I've come to a sort of peace with the song. I can listen to Harris' version (I don't think I've ever heard the whole Donna Summer version -- certainly not on purpose) and kind of see the whole thing through the songwriter's imagined psychedelic view of the lost moment. But, yeah... the cake metaphor is a very odd stretch.

And then, on some of the other tunes on the album, hearing Harris' oddly elocuted readings of them, I'm transported back to his turn in Camelot.
Old 17th April 2019
  #122
Lives for gear
 
PdotDdot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
Well we do agree about Jimi and Peter Green but I'd rather hear Danny Kirwan than Rory and don't understand why Danny is so ignored other than being in the shadow of Peter. In a similar situation of dual greats in one band, I'd rather hear Gary Moore or Brian Robertson over Rory. In fact, I've seen many relatively unknown local players as good or more creative and just as passionate as Rory. I'm not saying he is not a good player, just rather ordinary among the good .

I probably should mention that I saw Jimi twice but never in person as I was a day late for his Ambassador DC show and I'm jelly af over your meeting him. Wow Bro! I'm sure you realize how lucky you were. What an Experience. I know and know of several people who did meet him and for most (including Buzzy Linhart and Randy California) it was literally a life-changing experience.
Got to say, "Station Man" is still one of my all time favorite tunes - both to listen to and to play. Talk about power rhythm guitar moments...
Old 17th April 2019
  #123
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
I wonder what he thought about when playing MacArthur Park? I like the song because it went against the grain same for Stand Up and The Revolution will not be Televised. Maybe he was thinking he should of switched from a buttercream frosting... and maybe a dozen more eggs in the recipe.
Old 18th April 2019
  #124
Lives for gear
 
enorbet2's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
Got to say, "Station Man" is still one of my all time favorite tunes - both to listen to and to play. Talk about power rhythm guitar moments...
Thanks. Oddly I'd never heard that tune before and though it takes awhile to heat up it does demonstrate the unique sort of collaborative complexity Peter, Danny, and Spense, could weave around a simple progression.

Most seem to think Danny was strictly Rhythm ("he didn't wanna make it cry or sing") but check this out....



and for OG Fleetwood Mac lovers try this for your edification and enjoyment (not to mention as a consideration of what players think about when they write songs and play them

Old 18th April 2019
  #125
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
I wonder what he thought about when playing MacArthur Park? I like the song because it went against the grain same for Stand Up and The Revolution will not be Televised. Maybe he was thinking he should of switched from a buttercream frosting... and maybe a dozen more eggs in the recipe.
No kidding, huh? Lots of time to think in that one...

Among my 3DW pals is a cultural provocateur who started what may be the seminal lounge band-from-hell, a band whose aversion to practice was as legendary as the lead singer's then-tendency to plunge into wall-eyed oblivion. At a wedding at one of the last great (and now gone) LA tiki bars, the singer took a huge swig of liquor just before starting their version of "MacArthur Park," a special request of the bride and groom. (It's that kind of crowd, what can I tell you?)

The liquor seemed to light up some fiery inner demons and he bellowed out the words with increasing bombasm. I noticed his eyes begin to get particularly unfocused, their individual lines of sight seemingly crossing like searchlights in an air raid... The rave-up they'd built into the middle was coming up. Taking a big gulp of air and finishing his last line before the vamp I saw him dive off the stage and run out toward the street entrance of the bar. The band played on...

As they reached the obvious climax of the section, a load-in door on the back of the stage opened and the singer, his shirt unbuttoned almost to the waist, his face flushed and sweaty, lunged unsteadily to the front of the stage, grabbing the mic just in time to pick up his part on cue.

Later, he told our table: If you're walking through the parking lot after the show and you see a crumpled paper sack... don't kick it.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #126
Lives for gear
 
PdotDdot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
Thanks. Oddly I'd never heard that tune before and though it takes awhile to heat up it does demonstrate the unique sort of collaborative complexity Peter, Danny, and Spense, could weave around a simple progression.

Most seem to think Danny was strictly Rhythm ("he didn't wanna make it cry or sing") but check this out....



and for OG Fleetwood Mac lovers try this for your edification and enjoyment (not to mention as a consideration of what players think about when they write songs and play them

My favorite FM LPs were English Rose and Kilnhouse. Thanks for attaching these clips - thoroughly enjoyed them!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #127
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
[intended as an open-ended discussion]

When you're starting out, there are a million things to occupy your conscious mind. But after you've played a while, your subconscious, motor control (muscle and movement control) systems can kind of take over and -- when you're in a comfortable zone in your playing -- you may find your thoughts wandering.

A lot of folks drill guitar or other instruments while they're watching TV. Sometimes I read the news while I'm playing.

But a lot of times, the mind wanders... I've found myself thinking of everything from mundane day to day chores to the big, eternal questions...


So, what do you think about -- in words or otherwise -- when you're playing?
One I wrote working at the Carvin instrument factory sitting at my desk when I was in my 20's... they were a very religious company....
Old 4 weeks ago
  #128
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
No kidding, huh? Lots of time to think in that one...

Among my 3DW pals is a cultural provocateur who started what may be the seminal lounge band-from-hell, a band whose aversion to practice was as legendary as the lead singer's then-tendency to plunge into wall-eyed oblivion. At a wedding at one of the last great (and now gone) LA tiki bars, the singer took a huge swig of liquor just before starting their version of "MacArthur Park," a special request of the bride and groom. (It's that kind of crowd, what can I tell you?)

The liquor seemed to light up some fiery inner demons and he bellowed out the words with increasing bombasm. I noticed his eyes begin to get particularly unfocused, their individual lines of sight seemingly crossing like searchlights in an air raid... The rave-up they'd built into the middle was coming up. Taking a big gulp of air and finishing his last line before the vamp I saw him dive off the stage and run out toward the street entrance of the bar. The band played on...

As they reached the obvious climax of the section, a load-in door on the back of the stage opened and the singer, his shirt unbuttoned almost to the waist, his face flushed and sweaty, lunged unsteadily to the front of the stage, grabbing the mic just in time to pick up his part on cue.

Later, he told our table: If you're walking through the parking lot after the show and you see a crumpled paper sack... don't kick it.
You have to write a murder mystery revolving around the world of music. You have the talent... there was a great book written about golf... the best I ever read called...
'Golf in the Kingdom' A guy who was trying to go get enlightened in the Far East... gets diverted by playing some golf... LOL such a good /Great read. That is close to how you write.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #129
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
You have to write a murder mystery revolving around the world of music. .
Yes. The best writers do that. My grandmother died this week.

Old 4 weeks ago
  #130
Lives for gear
 
enorbet2's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
My grandmother died this week.
Man! I am sorry to hear that. My heart and condolences go out to you. I'm not afraid of Death... it's just that it lasts SO damned long!

Hope you don't mind that stab at levity but I think it's one way we deal with something so heavy. I wanted to share an appropriate song but there really aren't that many on the subject and "Death Don't Have No Mercy" while a great tune seems a bit maudlin to me. I wanted something a bit more cathartic and this might work, or maybe just because back in '68 when this song came out I didn't know squat about multi-track recording and I tried to copy the octave lead part "in situ" and nearly killed my left hand. Anyway I hope you like it.



Every day above ground is a good day

Last edited by enorbet2; 4 weeks ago at 05:52 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #131
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Yes. The best writers do that. My grandmother died this week.

My condolences. Some songs start to shine more or have different meanings at times like this. bless
Old 4 weeks ago
  #132
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
Man! I am sorry to hear that. My heart and condolences go out to you. I'm not afraid of Death... it's just that it lasts SO damned long!

Hope you don't mind that stab at levity but I think it's one way we deal with something so heavy. I wanted to share an appropriate song but there really aren't that many on the subject and "Death Don't Have No Mercy" while a great tune seems a bit maudlin to me. I wanted something a bit more cathartic and this might work, or maybe just because back in '68 when this song came out I didn't know squat about multi-track recording and I tried to copy the octave lead part "in situ" and nearly killed my left hand. Anyway I hope you like it.



Every day above ground is a good day
Thank you.

Old 4 weeks ago
  #133
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
You have to write a murder mystery revolving around the world of music. You have the talent... there was a great book written about golf... the best I ever read called...
'Golf in the Kingdom' A guy who was trying to go get enlightened in the Far East... gets diverted by playing some golf... LOL such a good /Great read. That is close to how you write.
I started out writing spy fiction and (half-cooked) hardboiled detective fiction as a young teen in the early 60s. I saw myself as the next Len Deighton. (I was not. That guy could write.)

I've had a few mystery ideas kicking around in my head for a while. One of them even crossed over for a bit to spend some vaporous time as the plot vehicle for a bunch of my songs I (perversely, because, you know, rock operas) wanted to hook together in some kind of cantata/light opera annoyance.

I figure most songwriters have at least laughed off the idea of whipping up such an extended work. FWIW, Irish blues rock legend Rory Gallagher was apparently a huge fan of American detective fiction. There's an adult-comic style postmortem presentation of some of his hardboiled-themed songs: How Rory Gallagher Inspired Author Ian Rankin | Louder
Old 4 weeks ago
  #134
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I started out writing spy fiction and (half-cooked) hardboiled detective fiction as a young teen in the early 60s. I saw myself as the next Len Deighton. (I was not. That guy could write.)

I've had a few mystery ideas kicking around in my head for a while. One of them even crossed over for a bit to spend some vaporous time as the plot vehicle for a bunch of my songs I (perversely, because, you know, rock operas) wanted to hook together in some kind of cantata/light opera annoyance.

I figure most songwriters have at least laughed off the idea of whipping up such an extended work. FWIW, Irish blues rock legend Rory Gallagher was apparently a huge fan of American detective fiction. There's an adult-comic style postmortem presentation of some of his hardboiled-themed songs: How Rory Gallagher Inspired Author Ian Rankin | Louder
I was thinking of a ramped up 'DICK FRANCIS' type novel where people are intrigued by the murder mystery (revolving around a recording studio)... and as the character gets educated about the inner politics of the recording (session) studio... the public gets educated too.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #135
Lives for gear
 
RicTone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
I was thinking of a ramped up 'DICK FRANCIS' type novel where people are intrigued by the murder mystery (revolving around a recording studio)... and as the character gets educated about the inner politics of the recording (session) studio... the public gets educated too.
Eric Sarifin should write it.

Eric Sarafin is undoubtedly the greatest mixing engineer/writer of all time. He is an excellent and great writer. Check out his writing at https://mixerman.net/the-daily-adven...erman-diaries/
Old 4 weeks ago
  #136
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
Eric Sarifin should write it.

Eric Sarafin is undoubtedly the greatest mixing engineer/writer of all time. He is an excellent and great writer. Check out his writing at https://mixerman.net/the-daily-adven...erman-diaries/
He would work too... nice
Old 4 weeks ago
  #137
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
BUT --- we want the blue one to write it... and he has a 'mysterious' mind.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
midiquestions / So Much Gear, So Little Time
31
HREQ / Newbie Audio Engineering + Production Question Zone
4
beat you down / Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production
2
edit machine / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump