The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do you think about when you play? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Seeing Hendrix live (at both his appearances at the Newport '69 weekend festival) and then being able to spend some up-close-personal film time with him via the Woodstock movie -- at a time before I played music (but after trying to play guitar fitfully for a year or two as an adolescent), your description pretty much perfectly fits my impression... the guitar seemed an extension of his body (to cop a phrase well-worn for a reason). His naturalness, his flow... the way the guitar seemed as natural to him as singing or speaking -- that presented an ideal of musicianship I would reach for for decades. For some, maybe, that immediacy comes early. For others, like me, it's a lifelong quest. But it's all worth it, as far as I'm concerned.
Wow - how cool you got to see him and hear him and all - I went to my first live show the day after he died - good show - Led Zeppelin on the LZ III tour. Never saw Hendrix or the Beatles although I did see John, Paul and Ringo live at different times. Outside of that, I saw everyone I ever wanted to see. Well let me add that I never saw the original Fleetwood Mac and would like to have seen them too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Segovia and Montoya - talk about talent... love Segovia and Sabicas...

Here are 12 amazing modern Flameco guitarists..Who are the best flamenco guitarists performing today? - Quora

My heart is always with Sabicas 'Danza Mora' YouTube

Sabicas live YouTube YouTube

Thanks for the introduction to Sabicas. I'm no aficionado of Flamenco but I did see both Segovia and Montoya in concert. Unfortunately Segovia was in a huge concert hall and I couldn't see much but Montoya I saw in a fairly intimate setting of about 400 people. He was jaw-dropping good.

At one point he reached under the 5th string with his strumming hand and pulled it up and over the 6th string and fretted the two together up near the 12th fret. He played a melody with 1, sometimes 2 fingers, tapped on the top with one, and snap-trilled the combined 5th and 6th strings sounding just like a snare drum combined with the top-tapping and I saw visions of a fife and drum marching band. I have no idea what Carlos was thinking at that moment but I have no doubt what he was imagining when he created that sound initially.

I can still see and hear it 50+ years later. He made a lasting impression.
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted c2a9416 View Post
I can verify this, it's those Angus pants ....
OT - Gotta tell ya I love your avatar but then I'm a huge Tarantino fan, especially Pulp Fiction and True Romance.. Since Uma is also a unique and special treat Kill Bill is also up there. But hey, Quenton got a killer performance out of Christian Slater so you know Quenton has some kinda weird mojo.

Speaking of weird, when I saw Pulp Fiction when it first came out and the scene where Bruce Willis's boyhood character is presented with his heirloom watch by Christopher Walken's character I burst out laughing, actually more like a choked, rolling guffaw! while everyone else turned to look at me quizzically with near tears in their eyes I suppose wondering why I was so insensitive to a prisoner of war soldier with dysentery insuring his legacy was passed on to his little son back home. I guess they missed the keister joke. Brilliant!
Old 1 week ago
Deleted c2a9416
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
OT - Gotta tell ya I love your avatar but then I'm a huge Tarantino fan, especially Pulp Fiction and True Romance.. Since Uma is also a unique and special treat Kill Bill is also up there. But hey, Quenton got a killer performance out of Christian Slater so you know Quenton has some kinda weird mojo.

Speaking of weird, when I saw Pulp Fiction when it first came out and the scene where Bruce Willis's boyhood character is presented with his heirloom watch by Christopher Walken's character I burst out laughing, actually more like a choked, rolling guffaw! while everyone else turned to look at me quizzically with near tears in their eyes I suppose wondering why I was so insensitive to a prisoner of war soldier with dysentery insuring his legacy was passed on to his little son back home. I guess they missed the keister joke. Brilliant!
Tarantino rips it up. People like him make the world turn faster.

keister - lol, had to google that
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

True Romance is one of my favorite movies - loved Pulp Fiction too. The Kill Bill stuff I found dull - actually beyond dull.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

(Snap out of the zone) Oh crap, what comes next?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

if you are not using your energy to listen and be in the moment when you play, all is lost
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
(Snap out of the zone) Oh crap, what comes next?
I hate that feeling. My memory totally sucks. I spend an inordinate amount of time practicing (compared to when I was much younger) simply because of my terrible memory. Keeping 44 or 45 songs memorized for a cover band is a nuisance for me, but the guys in my band coincidentally also happen to be my best friends. Without those friends in a band I'd never play in another cover band in my life.

When the music path hits a brick wall I don't chance reaching for a wrong chord or wrong key in a solo, I mute the strings, continue to play and listen to the bass. When the path opens I start playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patshep View Post
if you are not using your energy to listen and be in the moment when you play, all is lost
I believe this is true. Being in the moment is fundamentally one of the most important aspects of playing.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Terry Kath still knocks me out but I can't begin to fathom why Jimi said that about Rory Gallagher. I've yet to hear a single thing from Rory that was unique and moving.
Well, we all have different tastes and perceptions.

I've seen a few guitarists (a number of those a number of times). I also saw Gallagher five times. I always found him to be passionate, inventive, and relentlessly energetic as a guitarist, exploring a range of moods from darkly moody slow blues to raging rockers. Definitely, one of my very favorite blues rock guitarists, I'd probably put him (with Peter Green) at the top of my faves in that regard.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I remember the first time my mind split into "multiple parallel tracks" while playing an instrument:

I was about 12 years old, and was playing a concert with my school band.

After a couple of numbers, I realized that my mind had been wandering, and that I had no real memory of anything I'd just played.

...Kinda like when you have a long commute, and then realize that your mind has been wandering and you missed an exit...
Old 1 week ago
I think about how bad I am and how if I could somehow possibly live 90 odd lives consecutively I might be able to learn the basics.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

For me is: "try not to suck!" "try not to suck!" "try not to suck!" "try not to suck!" "try not to suck!" "try not to suck!" "try not to suck!" "try not to suck!" "try not to suck!" "try not to suck!" "try not to suck!" "try not to suck! "try not to suck!" "try not to suck!" "try not to suck!" "try not to suck!"................
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, we all have different tastes and perceptions.

I've seen a few guitarists (a number of those a number of times). I also saw Gallagher five times. I always found him to be passionate, inventive, and relentlessly energetic as a guitarist, exploring a range of moods from darkly moody slow blues to raging rockers. Definitely, one of my very favorite blues rock guitarists, I'd probably put him (with Peter Green) at the top of my faves in that regard.
Well we do agree about Jimi and Peter Green but I'd rather hear Danny Kirwan than Rory and don't understand why Danny is so ignored other than being in the shadow of Peter. In a similar situation of dual greats in one band, I'd rather hear Gary Moore or Brian Robertson over Rory. In fact, I've seen many relatively unknown local players as good or more creative and just as passionate as Rory. I'm not saying he is not a good player, just rather ordinary among the good .

I probably should mention that I saw Jimi twice but never in person as I was a day late for his Ambassador DC show and I'm jelly af over your meeting him. Wow Bro! I'm sure you realize how lucky you were. What an Experience. I know and know of several people who did meet him and for most (including Buzzy Linhart and Randy California) it was literally a life-changing experience.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Well we do agree about Jimi and Peter Green but I'd rather hear Danny Kirwan than Rory and don't understand why Danny is so ignored other than being in the shadow of Peter. In a similar situation of dual greats in one band, I'd rather hear Gary Moore or Brian Robertson over Rory. In fact, I've seen many relatively unknown local players as good or more creative and just as passionate as Rory. I'm not saying he is not a good player, just rather ordinary among the good .

I probably should mention that I saw Jimi twice but never in person as I was a day late for his Ambassador DC show and I'm jelly af over your meeting him. Wow Bro! I'm sure you realize how lucky you were. What an Experience. I know and know of several people who did meet him and for most (including Buzzy Linhart and Randy California) it was literally a life-changing experience.
WHOA! Not sure what I wrote to give the impression I met Hendrix! But I didn't. =(

Damn, I wish...

Actually, both times I saw him (at the Newport '69 festival), I was a long way aways!

Off hand, I don't think I've met many famous players, at all, actually. I met Gabor Szabo through friends. Got a chance to chat with Joe Pass when I saw him in a tiny jazz club and sat right in front of him with some guitar playing pals for a few sets. He was a very gracious guy. And really fabulous to sit so close. (The only thing better, in that respect, was watching Louis Armstrong perform from less than ten feet away in the 1960s [on the riverboat at Disneyland one super hot summer day].)
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
WHOA! Not sure what I wrote to give the impression I met Hendrix! But I didn't. =(

[...]
I think I figured it out. I had written:

Quote:
Seeing Hendrix live (at both his appearances at the Newport '69 weekend festival) and then being able to spend some up-close-personal film time with him via the Woodstock movie -- at a time before I played music (but after trying to play guitar fitfully for a year or two as an adolescent), your description pretty much perfectly fits my impression...
I'm betting you read that and your brain all but exploded before you got to the via the Woodstock movie part... Even I envy that imaginary me who got to hang with Jimi. But, for me, it was only along with everyone else who watched the movie... which, after watching him live from binocular distance at a festival was kind of revelatory. (I've now made sure to include 'via watching the Woodstock movie' to make it more clear.)

Anyhow, sorry I got you excited for nothing... but, yeah, that would have been something. Really something.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Maybe we all have it exactly backwards:

Maybe we should instead ask ourselves: What do we play about when we think!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
[intended as an open-ended discussion]

When you're starting out, there are a million things to occupy your conscious mind. But after you've played a while, your subconscious, motor control (muscle and movement control) systems can kind of take over and -- when you're in a comfortable zone in your playing -- you may find your thoughts wandering.

A lot of folks drill guitar or other instruments while they're watching TV. Sometimes I read the news while I'm playing.

But a lot of times, the mind wanders... I've found myself thinking of everything from mundane day to day chores to the big, eternal questions...

So, what do you think about -- in words or otherwise -- when you're playing?
The best times are those moments of complete focus on the performance. Not from a technical place, but a more zen "connected with the instrument as an expression of my heart and soul" place, with the mind shut off, simply "being" in the moment with the instrument.

Hard to get there a lot of the time though. The mind usually insists on something to do. I like it when it shuts the fk up best though.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

1. trying to listen hard to any improvisational elements of what bandmates are doing
2. visualizing the story behind the lyrics. That helps me emotionally connect and also remember lyrics.
3. if there is RAM and CPU spare, checking out the audience
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
The best times are those moments of complete focus on the performance. Not from a technical place, but a more zen "connected with the instrument as an expression of my heart and soul" place, with the mind shut off, simply "being" in the moment with the instrument.

Hard to get there a lot of the time though. The mind usually insists on something to do. I like it when it shuts the fk up best though.
Isn't that just the hardest thing? Getting your brain to SHUT UP!! You can't get to the zone if it won't...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

In response to the last several posts and attempting to combine them all after a brain explosion (you nailed it, the blue1) when I start thinking and if those thoughts are about what I'm playing I fall back on what is safe and it bores me so soon I start thinking about the crowd, the venue owner, then if that power amp in rack 2 is gonna make it through the gig, bu if I spot that hot chick dancing in front of the band I might get a burst of creativity but that's often followed by cursing myself for never having learned how to sweep pick while climbing up in the rafters and it all just gets more hackneyed from there. It's vastly better when I can just "get out of my own way". It's better if we just take a tip from Frank and "Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar".
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
In response to the last several posts and attempting to combine them all after a brain explosion (you nailed it, the blue1) when I start thinking and if those thoughts are about what I'm playing I fall back on what is safe and it bores me so soon I start thinking about the crowd, the venue owner, then if that power amp in rack 2 is gonna make it through the gig, bu if I spot that hot chick dancing in front of the band I might get a burst of creativity but that's often followed by cursing myself for never having learned how to sweep pick while climbing up in the rafters and it all just gets more hackneyed from there. It's vastly better when I can just "get out of my own way". It's better if we just take a tip from Frank and "Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar".

So... you're saying you're a human being?

As many varied and different responses as there have been, I think it's interesting how very much overlap there is -- particularly with regard to the whole zone/zen/wordless/mindfulness aspect. That seems a near universal when people are trying to describe their 'peak' playing state -- being 'one with the music.'

But also fascinating is the undercurrent of mention of other mental states when playing, from the practical while on the job (Where do we eat after the show? Any chance of going home with the redhead in the front?), through the inevitable insecurities so many of us have at different times, but other times being carried away by the music, flowing with its internal emotions, its own story, and then on to the quite abstract when woodshedding or musically 'meditating' (thinking about theory, or how the brain processes music -- or even thinking about the infinite, the eternal mysteries of existence... music can be so open-ended, so provocative).

Also, since I've fallen hopelessly behind in my up-thumbing -- every response deserves one as far as I'm concerned -- I'm just going to issue an all-encompassing one to everybody so far (and to come):

Last edited by theblue1; 1 week ago at 06:45 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

So... you're saying you're a human being?
Yeah so now the question is "Will AI write songs in Binary or Hex?" Oh Wait! I know.... OCTAL!!!....
or.... I suppose they could just do endless lame revisions on "The Cake is a Lie"
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Yeah so now the question is "Will AI write songs in Binary or Hex?" Oh Wait! I know.... OCTAL!!!....
or.... I suppose they could just do endless lame revisions on "The Cake is a Lie"
I have a hunch I'm going to be relying on the Urban Dictionary more and more as I drift ever farther from the red hot crucible of youth culture...

Urban Dictionary: the cake is a lie

On that note, I came across an interesting passage quoted from choreographer/20th century dance maven, Martha Graham, that I thought might be interesting to some of us here at GS:

Divine dissatisfaction and creativity; wisdom from a dancer...
Old 1 week ago
Hi. I always think "am I giving the audience a good enough show".
If I don't remember the gig, it has usually quite well
All the best.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a hunch I'm going to be relying on the Urban Dictionary more and more as I drift ever farther from the red hot crucible of youth culture...

Urban Dictionary: the cake is a lie

On that note, I came across an interesting passage quoted from choreographer/20th century dance maven, Martha Graham, that I thought might be interesting to some of us here at GS:

Divine dissatisfaction and creativity; wisdom from a dancer...
Just modernization... carrot on a string is obs0lete ar cake it yezz days nooze
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Just modernization... carrot on a string is obs0lete ar cake it yezz days nooze
Wait! You're saying donkey and cart metaphors are out of date?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well it is gamer culture but hardly "youth culture" in this case since I'm 72 LOL. Youth culture considers that original game, Portal (awesome physics puzzle game BTW and with a sense of humor and a cool robot song at the end), ancient since it was released in 2007.

"The cake is a lie" part was a thread in the game where a robot challenges the player to solve increasingly difficult physics puzzles involving gravity and 2 portals, one In and one Out. From the start the robot offers cake at the completion as a reward and promises no danger in the puzzles but increasing along with the difficulty is the danger adding a component of timing due to flames, gas, energy beam, and machine turret gunfire. After one manages to complete the entire series of mazes, one is treated to a sketch drawing of a piece of cake just before a nearly inescapable dump of the player into a room filled with flames. Thus, the cake is a lie.

Then the game continues but no longer in it's obviously guided manner until you confront the robot that promised cake and tried to kill you. Upon killing the robot the credits roll accompanied by a creative, humorous little robot ditty called "Still Alive". The last steps of the game are on YouTube as is the song. The game won high honors and resulted in a follow up game, Portal 2. If you like puzzles it is a very good game, even today, but then I'm one who played Quake III Arena for 20 odd years and am now rather addicted to "World of Warcrack"
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Well it is gamer culture but hardly "youth culture" in this case since I'm 72 LOL. Youth culture considers that original game, Portal (awesome physics puzzle game BTW and with a sense of humor and a cool robot song at the end), ancient since it was released in 2007.

"The cake is a lie" part was a thread in the game where a robot challenges the player to solve increasingly difficult physics puzzles involving gravity and 2 portals, one In and one Out. From the start the robot offers cake at the completion as a reward and promises no danger in the puzzles but increasing along with the difficulty is the danger adding a component of timing due to flames, gas, energy beam, and machine turret gunfire. After one manages to complete the entire series of mazes, one is treated to a sketch drawing of a piece of cake just before a nearly inescapable dump of the player into a room filled with flames. Thus, the cake is a lie.

Then the game continues but no longer in it's obviously guided manner until you confront the robot that promised cake and tried to kill you. Upon killing the robot the credits roll accompanied by a creative, humorous little robot ditty called "Still Alive". The last steps of the game are on YouTube as is the song. The game won high honors and resulted in a follow up game, Portal 2. If you like puzzles it is a very good game, even today, but then I'm one who played Quake III Arena for 20 odd years and am now rather addicted to "World of Warcrack"
Good to know I'm not the oldest guy around. (But you don't edge me by much.)

I have to admit that I pretty much burned out on computer gaming in the mid-90s with Doom II. The physics puzzles in Portal sound pretty interesting, though. I don't remember anything particularly intellectual about Doom II -- but then I was basically just there for the double barreled shotgun. But even that worthy tool proved to be considerably less than endlessly fascinating.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
I thought the cake reference was about McArthur Park......

one of the worst lyrics ever.... obscure old guy rambling......

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search