The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your pedal volume
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Your pedal volume

Do you guys set your pedals to the same volume setting as your clean/"regular" sound? I mean assuming you play a large portion of your sets with a particular tone and then throw pedal effects in for certain sections etc, do you match volumes and let a boost pedal do any volume boost? Or do you let the actual pedals to give you a volume boost themselves?
Old 1 week ago
I try to match each effect pedal, as i do not want my level to change when i insert a chorus or fuzz pedal into my chain, unless the pedal is a boost pedal, then of course i use it to boost the signal.

Otherwise, i would be fooling with the volume pedal every time i activate an effect and deactivate an effect. That would not be good! Yea!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Yeah, same here. Matching level generally, except boosting.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

How do you guys go about this? I'm can't quite figure out how I want to approach this...I would assume that if you initiate distortion or fuzz you would want some gain boost? Or maybe not. It just seems to me when I see videos of my favourite guitar players there seems to be some boost on those pedals...delay and modulation are fine at base volume for me.

I like to combine my dist with my rams head to get a real thick sound. What would you guys do to the moment when both come on? Are there any examples online you could point to? Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty45 View Post
How do you guys go about this? I'm can't quite figure out how I want to approach this...I would assume that if you initiate distortion or fuzz you would want some gain boost? Or maybe not. It just seems to me when I see videos of my favourite guitar players there seems to be some boost on those pedals...delay and modulation are fine at base volume for me.

I like to combine my dist with my rams head to get a real thick sound. What would you guys do to the moment when both come on? Are there any examples online you could point to? Thanks.
It all comes down to how you want it to sound and the songs you are playing. Everyone will have different needs to volume and their pedals.

Set them up that is easiest for you. nothing will be 100% for everyone, that is why you always see guitarist, myself included use the volume knobs on the guitar and/or volume pedals to adjust when needed.

That said, do not do what i said or what he said. Do what works best for your type of playing and playing styles and song structures.
1.)If that means matching the pedals the best you can, then do it that way.

2.)If that means getting a boost pedal and leaving all the others the same volume, then do it that way.

3.)If it means, getting a volume pedal and having your distortion pedal boosted do it that way.

4.) If that means using your guitar volume knobs and having a slight gain on your fuzz pedals and leaving everything else the same, then do it that way.

You need to figure out what works best for you and the music you play
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Many ways to do it.
Boosting volume into the amp to push the preamp harder, is metal genre in a nutshell.
Boosting volume into a (dist/od/fuzz)-pedal can do. I do that.
But boosting volume into pedals in the chain can to an extent handle it, starts to distort before breaking limit luckily. 9v & other power supplies is limits in itself too. Same goes for any music gear really at it's standards. Instrument level, mic level, Line level etc. Beware of teach limits of course.
Anyway, back to amp.
Boost at the end of the FX loop if you want the amp louder.
The speaker or something can break though if it's too loud, maybe. Distortion from mic, close to the amp if too loud.

Quote:
I like to combine my dist with my rams head to get a real thick sound.
Not sure what you mean, but, if you mean blend (dist/od/fuzz)-pedal with the overdrive from amp, sure.

Quote:
What would you guys do to the moment when both come on?
Rock harder?

Quote:
Are there any examples online you could point to? Thanks.
Connecting pedals direct into audio interface?

Tone Tips: Dialing in Maximum Tone | Premier Guitar

Boost Pedals – Inline or via the effects loop? - Online Guitar Lessons

boost pedal in fx loop vs before amp | The Gear Page

Will too much boost damage your amp?

| Harmony Central

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...re-it.1461488/

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search