The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Transparent compressor pedal? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 4 weeks ago
Transparent compressor pedal?

So, I just rebuilt a blown up 1974 Musicman 210 65. The one with the tube driver, the volume pot between two halves of 12ax7 thing. Early one. I love it, but it is super dynamic, with huge swings and transients with single coils.

I tried a couple of sessions with an MXR dyna comp, but it is taking off some high end. I love what it does for spank usually, and for leads it's great.
With this amp and a tele, it's just making it sound a bit dark for me.

The low mids kinda blow up, and the Fender sparkle is kinda pushed down. There is no attack or release on dyna comp, just sensitivity.

Tonight I ended up tracking without comp pedal, and put LA3 post on the desk.

I would really like to find something for the front end that sounds good before the amp so I can commit to tones old school style and do less work in the mix.
Any ideas for compressors that let the top come through unmolested? Good old analog if possible, but I'm not picky if it sounds good.
Thanks in advance.
Old 4 weeks ago
Origin Effects Cali 76 and Sliderig are about as good as it gets. I am sure there are other ones, but these two are stellar.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Keely Comp Pro
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I can only speak for the Empress Compressor...tried a few different comp pedals years ago and landed on the Empress (for more $$)..quiet, uncolored at reasonable settings (slam it? I call that colored by compression, duh) versatile, great meters...I have no need for anything else..can do clean subtle compression, country style with gold stars, and heavily slammed throb..Great professional box.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Although it's designed to produce a classic Rickenbacker sound with a Rickenbacker guitar (which it does perfectly) the Janglebox JangleBox is the best pedal compressor for guitar in general I've ever used.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tridelica View Post
Origin Effects Cali 76 and Sliderig are about as good as it gets. I am sure there are other ones, but these two are stellar.
I have both. Very useful as a musical tool, as opposed to as a sound effect (which they'll also do). i.e. If you go back and forth between rhythm and leads, it can even out your level very transparently so you keep the same overall drive. This opens up the opportunity for some more interesting arrangements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
Although it's designed to produce a classic Rickenbacker sound with a Rickenbacker guitar (which it does perfectly) the Janglebox JangleBox is the best pedal compressor for guitar in general I've ever used.
I like my Janglebox a lot, but it doesn't sound like it's what OP is looking for. Fantastic for 12-string and chicken pickin', but more of an effect than a leveler.

I've always been interested in the Barber Tone Press, although I've never tried one. I think that Blend knob has to be useful for what OP is looking for.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I like my Janglebox a lot, but it doesn't sound like it's what OP is looking for. Fantastic for 12-string and chicken pickin', but more of an effect than a leveler.
I respect what you write but in my experience the JangleBox JB2 Byrds LE has much less chicken pickin' first note mind bending chicken pickin' than any compressor pedal I've ever used.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
I respect what you write but in my experience the JangleBox JB2 Byrds LE has much less chicken pickin' first note mind bending chicken pickin' than any compressor pedal I've ever used.
Mine is the original JB, which is definitely a 'color' compressor.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My experience is not broad but my Madbean Afterlife is pretty amazingly hi-fi. Definitely can be called "transparent".
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I've built a BYOC 5 knob compressor, and used a Vise Grip compressor...both have a blend knob, which makes it easier to make it seem more like a leveler and not so much of a squishy effect.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Diamond Yellow

Been playing an original (as in large) Diamond Yellow for about five years. I'd say it's transparent, but some may differ. I play a PRS, Strat and Ric 12 stringer through it. They all sound good to me, I get kudos from fans that say my tone is great.

I'll also agree the Origin boxes sound good too. Mo' money, but you get what you pay for.
Old 4 weeks ago
Hey...damn...lots of good suggestions. I might have to travel a state over to try some of these. Not certain the local gtr center will have these?

That 76 idea...that's a good one actually.

The Origin I'd not even heard of, but sounds awesome. I've tried the Keeley stuff before, and recorded many of them. Great comps, not maybe what I'm after for this..but I should maybe try one more time. I have NOT tried with this amp but Fenders. Definitely the higher fi version of the Ross thing in those.

I know the Ross pedals from the 80's. Had one, wish I still did.

Thanks guys!

If there's any last minute suggestions, throw em' at me!

I've been trying to not be the guy that takes weeks choosing a compressor pedal anymore. Trying to be less obsessive about things of late. Too much time deciding, not enough playing and recording!
Clock is ticking...life is short.

So these help, and it's great.
Thanks again.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Effectrode PC-2A might be what you are after. Supposedly an la2a circuit thru a mini tube. With minimal movement of the levelor knob things smooth ot nicely, leaving the highs intact. More leveling removes the lows first. I run mine usually with little or no compression. This box has a ton of clean gain. I think you have to buy direct from Effectrode. I got mine within 5 days of ordering so I would say great service. And I get queasy over online purchases!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbo View Post
Effectrode PC-2A might be what you are after. Supposedly an la2a circuit thru a mini tube. With minimal movement of the levelor knob things smooth ot nicely, leaving the highs intact. More leveling removes the lows first. I run mine usually with little or no compression. This box has a ton of clean gain. I think you have to buy direct from Effectrode. I got mine within 5 days of ordering so I would say great service. And I get queasy over online purchases!
Hey, thanks for the mention of Effectrode. Their section on the maintenance and restoration of the Binson Echorec is AMAZING!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

A compressor with a blend knob is what you want. I have been loving the Walrus Audio Deep Six.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Hey, thanks for the mention of Effectrode. Their section on the maintenance and restoration of the Binson Echorec is AMAZING!
You’re welcome John. Yeah I love that website. I’ll have to read up on the echorec.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Bear foot pale green compressor. Among the most transparent you can get. The reviews describe it the compressor for those that do not like compressors. I have one and agree with that description.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Try the ThropyFX Fat General. Very transparent, has a blend and a bright knob.
Old 3 weeks ago
Thanks for all the suggestions. If I can't find something that works from that list...I'm just a sh*t gtr player

Appreciate all the ideas. Some good ones.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Xotic SP compressor. Built off the Ross design from what I've read. All I know is it's transparent, VERY quiet, and it's got something like 18dB of gain on tap. I use it as a boost with a bit of compression for sustain on leads. And yes, it also uses a blend, which seems to keep things sounding quite natural.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Keeley 4 knob compressor
Old 3 weeks ago
I'll second the Diamond Yellow, I'll also add the Orange Kongpressor and the Mooer Yellow.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search