The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm stripping a Squire Strat and starting over any tips?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I'm stripping a Squire Strat and starting over any tips?

I'm looking for suggestions on pickups and any electronics to get a higher quality Strat type sound. Any ideas?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I was at the same point three years ago. Unless you LOVE the Squier's neck, consider buying a used Standard (MIM) instead of upgrading the Squier. Depending on where you are, you should be able to find one for US$300-400. It's not that Squiers aren't good: my first decent electric was a Squier VM Strat, and I still think it was a really good instrument for the price. But the MIM will probably have better tuners, a better bridge, and more durable fretwire. If you're not in a hurry, you can probably find a used MIM with upgraded pickups for the same price as a used MIM with stock pickups.

Used MIM Strats are one of the sweet spots in today's guitar market.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiggly View Post
I'm looking for suggestions on pickups and any electronics to get a higher quality Strat type sound. Any ideas?
Done a couple. The beauty of strats is that you can buy loaded pickguards and slot them straight in. That way you upgrade the pots and pickups in no time.
Just upgraded one and had it wired to a fezz parka tone mod (google it, really cool).

Not sure if available where you are, Iron Gear Smoke Stack 2 duo single coil pups are amazingly good for the price (about $30 over here) but you will have to buy the pots separate and wire them up.
I know there are better known brands, but Iron Gear compete ( and outperform) at a fraction of the price.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswo View Post
I was at the same point three years ago. Unless you LOVE the Squier's neck, consider buying a used Standard (MIM) instead of upgrading the Squier. Depending on where you are, you should be able to find one for US$300-400. It's not that Squiers aren't good: my first decent electric was a Squier VM Strat, and I still think it was a really good instrument for the price. But the MIM will probably have better tuners, a better bridge, and more durable fretwire. If you're not in a hurry, you can probably find a used MIM with upgraded pickups for the same price as a used MIM with stock pickups.

Used MIM Strats are one of the sweet spots in today's guitar market.

Ditto. I mean for $300-400 you can often find a MIM that has already been through someone else’s upgrade cycle. I picked up a MIM with Fralins and (poorly done) S1 for well under $400.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search