The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone play/hear the new Revv D20 amp at NAMM Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 3rd February 2019
  #1
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Anyone play/hear the new Revv D20 amp at NAMM

Anybody get a look at , chance to play or hear, the new D20 amp from Revv Amplification ? Or have any experience with Revv ?

I could not go to NAMM and am still looking for a clean lower watt valve amp ( 20 and down)

The reviews on youtube are fairly favorable Seems to have what I am looking for and more,,,, small, portable, valve amp head, that I can stick a few pedals in front of and a headphone jack



Last edited by KevWind; 3rd February 2019 at 11:26 PM..
Old 4th February 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
So no experience on GS with Revv Amplification ? interesting
Old 12th February 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Ok I have to admit I am completely surprised on GS
Almost 400 views and no replies ????????????????????

I would have bet more people on this sight would have attended NAMM and or at least have had experience with REVV Amps
I mean I got several replies over on The Gear Page and even on the Acoustic Guitar Forum .....who knew
Old 17th February 2019
  #4
I didn't go to NAMM this year.
Old 17th February 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
I didn't go to NAMM this year.
Thanks for the reply
I have not been in maybe 20 years
Old 17th February 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
 

@KevWind, it's great you started this thread on the Revv D20. I was unaware of this new amp.

The MSRP is $1,199, it will be interesting to see what the street price will be.

The D20 is all about the convenience of a direct out with built in load. The pricing seems a little high based on the fact I run the same idea with an Egnater Tweeker ($400) into a Rivera MiniRec load box($400) direct to the board for a total of $800. Granted the D20 has the internal Embedded Two notes Reactive Load & Virtual Cabinets, which the Rivera does not have.

I like the light weight of the D20, it's 9 lbs and the Egnater + Rivera is 22 lbs. I've been considering different ways to lighten up our 200 lb rolling rack. Ditching our QSC 2450 (45 lbs) would be a great step in lowering the overall weight of our rolling rack.

The D20 probably sounds great, but the Egnater is a great sounding sweet little amp, and one of the best things I like about Tweaker is that it really is super tweakable.

If the D20 would have been available a year ago I might have bought one. But who knows, that light weight of 9 lbs is pretty tempting. Obviously I'd have to buy one (with a return option) to hear it.

If it sounds good I think the D20 will be a success for Revv.
Old 17th February 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
 

The amp is based on the Revv Dynamis' clean channel. The Two notes engine has 5 presets but these afaik can be changed via usb. Comparing the price to stand alone components is pure foolery as the devil in the details is getting everything to live harmoniously in a single enclosure and power supply.

Namm saw 3 companies launch small format tube heads that can operate standalone with integrated speaker emulation. The Revv is the one for pedal players and is the most affordable. The Friedman JJ-JR and Suhr PT-15 are the others to check out with more dirt options on-board.

Each amp has their own strengths but all address the key need of a portable silent amp without modeling in the front end. As a newer class of product, it will interesting what else follows in the marketplace.

nb. there are already several products out that operate silently including the Runt20 which is the basis for the JJ-JR, several H-K amps and others. The Revv and the PT-15 are the first using impulse response technologies.
Old 17th February 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysexguy View Post
Comparing the price to stand alone components is pure foolery as the devil in the details is getting everything to live harmoniously in a single enclosure and power supply.
Obviously, if what you want is "single enclosure" unit then you're good.

Personally, other than a weight factor, I prefer the option of a separate amp and load box for less money. Tube amp/Rivera is much more versatile. The Rivera MiniRec load box can take a 150W amp, Marshalls et al, with the capacity of peak 250W. The D20 provides protection of it's internal 20W and that's it. It's not versatile.
Old 17th February 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 

no debate here, especially in the studio, in a grab and go situation like a restaurant/bar, p/w gigs, opening act etc. another story.

That said, I know some super creative people that turn to jelly when given technical options. An integrated amp to daw solution with pedals can be really useful for them.
Old 17th February 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysexguy View Post
no debate here, especially in the studio, in a grab and go situation like a restaurant/bar, p/w gigs, opening act etc. another story.

That said, I know some super creative people that turn to jelly when given technical options. An integrated amp to daw solution with pedals can be really useful for them.
Great points.

If it sounds great it's a good solution for me due to weight and I really do think this D20 over the long term will be a very good seller for Revv.

I'm tempted to make a pre-order now.
Old 18th February 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
 

I’m a fan of the Two notes integration, as a torpedo live owner I don’t need further convincing, if the amp is good then it’s a no brainer for anyone wanting a no cab home studio recording solution but doesn’t own an amp they already love. I spent almost the MSRP of this amp just on my Torpedo. 5 presets isn’t really a limitation, once you dial it in you’re probably gonna just use your go to, there’s not a lot of reason to switch around too much. And on the Torpedo at least, I can record a dry track at the same time, and use my same presets or entirely different ones within Wall of sound.

But in the long run, having the load box separate is nice because some guitarists go through a lot of amps in their tone chasing quest...
Old 18th February 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
@KevWind, it's great you started this thread on the Revv D20. I was unaware of this new amp.

The MSRP is $1,199, it will be interesting to see what the street price will be.

The D20 is all about the convenience of a direct out with built in load. The pricing seems a little high based on the fact I run the same idea with an Egnater Tweeker ($400) into a Rivera MiniRec load box($400) direct to the board for a total of $800. Granted the D20 has the internal Embedded Two notes Reactive Load & Virtual Cabinets, which the Rivera does not have.

I like the light weight of the D20, it's 9 lbs and the Egnater + Rivera is 22 lbs. I've been considering different ways to lighten up our 200 lb rolling rack. Ditching our QSC 2450 (45 lbs) would be a great step in lowering the overall weight of our rolling rack.

The D20 probably sounds great, but the Egnater is a great sounding sweet little amp, and one of the best things I like about Tweaker is that it really is super tweakable.

If the D20 would have been available a year ago I might have bought one. But who knows, that light weight of 9 lbs is pretty tempting. Obviously I'd have to buy one (with a return option) to hear it.

If it sounds good I think the D20 will be a success for Revv.
It appears that other than a few Canadian dealers that Stateside it will be a Factory Direct situation. So I am guessing the $1199 will hold . Particularly if they get a good amount of pre-orders

Yes The Tweaker seems to be one of those sleeper amps that have a satisfied following and the low price is certainly attractive ... I was not aware of the Rivera unit. Looks really interesting also ...

No doubt the grab and go one unit is a big selling point
Old 18th February 2019
  #13
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysexguy View Post
The amp is based on the Revv Dynamis' clean channel. The Two notes engine has 5 presets but these afaik can be changed via usb. Comparing the price to stand alone components is pure foolery as the devil in the details is getting everything to live harmoniously in a single enclosure and power supply.

Namm saw 3 companies launch small format tube heads that can operate standalone with integrated speaker emulation. The Revv is the one for pedal players and is the most affordable. The Friedman JJ-JR and Suhr PT-15 are the others to check out with more dirt options on-board.

Each amp has their own strengths but all address the key need of a portable silent amp without modeling in the front end. As a newer class of product, it will interesting what else follows in the marketplace.

nb. there are already several products out that operate silently including the Runt20 which is the basis for the JJ-JR, several H-K amps and others. The Revv and the PT-15 are the first using impulse response technologies.
Thanks for the reply
While I was not really looking for impulse response tech per se , it is intriguing and If if the sound Of the REVV is good thru a regular cab and the impulse sound is credible it could be a bonus.
I have to admit that dirt or crunch is not on my personal shopping list

Last edited by KevWind; 18th February 2019 at 06:33 PM..
Old 18th February 2019
  #14
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
I’m a fan of the Two notes integration, as a torpedo live owner I don’t need further convincing, if the amp is good then it’s a no brainer for anyone wanting a no cab home studio recording solution but doesn’t own an amp they already love. I spent almost the MSRP of this amp just on my Torpedo. 5 presets isn’t really a limitation, once you dial it in you’re probably gonna just use your go to, there’s not a lot of reason to switch around too much. And on the Torpedo at least, I can record a dry track at the same time, and use my same presets or entirely different ones within Wall of sound.

But in the long run, having the load box separate is nice because some guitarists go through a lot of amps in their tone chasing quest...
Nice to hear from a Two Notes user thanks,
I actually only got back into electric guitar, just over 2 years ago (after some 47 acoustic guitar only)
Since getting back in I have only owned two tube amps a Supro Titan 1 X 10 Combo and matching 1X12 Extension cab --- a Mesa Boogie 1X12 combo Lone Star Special and an inexpensive SS Orange practice amp.
I much prefer the tube amps , And even though I liked the Mesa a lot I found I did not want to deal with a 60 lb unit. I have since sold it.
So I still have the Supro which is 47 lbs..... better, but still a lot to pack around
Thus I am looking for a tube amp head with HP out for silent practice.
I have a good home recording set up and I also have a pretty good pair of ribbon mics (AEA N 22) to mic a cab with... BUT if the two notes is a credible recorded sound I would be interested for recording also ..and if the REVV tone direct sans Two Notes ,,,is good also, it seems like a fairly well priced option.

Last edited by KevWind; 18th February 2019 at 04:21 PM..
Old 18th February 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
I really appreciate the feedback people
Old 4 weeks ago
  #16
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysexguy View Post
The amp is based on the Revv Dynamis' clean channel.
Do you know what the Revv Dynamis' clean channel is based on? Dunno anything about that amp.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Nice to hear from a Two Notes user thanks,
I actually only got back into electric guitar, just over 2 years ago (after some 47 acoustic guitar only)
Since getting back in I have only owned two tube amps a Supro Titan 1 X 10 Combo and matching 1X12 Extension cab --- a Mesa Boogie 1X12 combo Lone Star Special and an inexpensive SS Orange practice amp.
I much prefer the tube amps , And even though I liked the Mesa a lot I found I did not want to deal with a 60 lb unit. I have since sold it.
So I still have the Supro which is 47 lbs..... better, but still a lot to pack around
Thus I am looking for a tube amp head with HP out for silent practice.
I have a good home recording set up and I also have a pretty good pair of ribbon mics (AEA N 22) to mic a cab with... BUT if the two notes is a credible recorded sound I would be interested for recording also ..and if the REVV tone direct sans Two Notes ,,,is good also, it seems like a fairly well priced option.

I use a Mesa DC10 2x12 currently, but plugged direct into Torpedo Live. It sounds great, especially with Mesa IRs (extra cost but worth it). However you’re right, it’s incredibly heavy and a little large for an amp that lives in my studio.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Do you know what the Revv Dynamis' clean channel is based on
It is based on a really good clean amp, amps are all based on applications manuals from RCA and Raytheon going back to the thirties and forties... or they are borrowed, copied or stolen.... or as marketers would say, "based on"
Old 4 weeks ago
  #19
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysexguy View Post
It is based on a really good clean amp, amps are all based on applications manuals from RCA and Raytheon going back to the thirties and forties... or they are borrowed, copied or stolen.... or as marketers would say, "based on"
Nice try but that doesn't help me know what the amp sounds like lol. Good clean guitar amp means different things to different folks.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeky83 View Post
Nice try but that doesn't help me know what the amp sounds like lol. Good clean guitar amp means different things to different folks.
Ultimately I suppose you would have to play one to determine that , given descriptive wording is invariably subjective and as you say means different things to different people .

Here are some quotes from the Revv Amplification web site about the Dynamis series amps

Built in reverb? Available as a combo Beautiful touch sensitive clean & gain As requested by Nashville session greats

Organic & Warm – Loads of Headroom in a Small Package

Tons of effort went into a warmer clean channel and smooth evenly saturated drive tones.

and from the spec sheet:

Transparent, low output impedance, tube driven/buffered, serial effects loop with send and return level control ability. (+4/-10dB)

And if your tube sound savvy it has a 6V6 power section

REVV Tube arrangement: 4 – 12AX7 , 1 – 12AT7, 4 – 6V6GT
Old 4 weeks ago
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeky83 View Post
Nice try but that doesn't help me know what the amp sounds like lol. Good clean guitar amp means different things to different folks.
Sorry, it's like a D#@mble on steroids, only much better with tons of chime and haunting mids...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #22
Gear Addict
 
Sniff's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysexguy View Post
Sorry, it's like a D#@mble on steroids, only much better with tons of chime and haunting mids...
Haha, I wondered when the D word would surface.
Would love to hear the 2 side by side.
@KevWind, sorry can't add to the original question, but I like the idea of this ...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #23
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
Haha, I wondered when the D word would surface.
Would love to hear the 2 side by side.
@KevWind, sorry can't add to the original question, but I like the idea of this ...
I am guessing from the facepalm it was stated firmly tongue in cheek.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 

extremely tongue in cheek just my opinion but unless an amp is an express attempt by the builder to emulate or copy a certain sound or circuit, applying an trendy adjective salad to describe the sound is more of a disservice than an asset.

This especially applies today where youtube standards have gone being "iphone mic in a room" and there are professional demos available. In the case of the Dynamis, this is truly the case and with the new D-20, one can expect a series of demos to come out prior to the amps being delivered to the public.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #25
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysexguy View Post
extremely tongue in cheek just my opinion but unless an amp is an express attempt by the builder to emulate or copy a certain sound or circuit, applying an trendy adjective salad to describe the sound is more of a disservice than an asset.

This especially applies today where youtube standards have gone being "iphone mic in a room" and there are professional demos available. In the case of the Dynamis, this is truly the case and with the new D-20, one can expect a series of demos to come out prior to the amps being delivered to the public.
Actually that is indeed the case there are few demos out with better sound quality than the one shot at NAMM in my original post.

This one at NAMM also but is a bit better sound




These have good sound but While I understand "In the mix" context ... Personally I wish they would ditch the backing tracks and just demo the amp itself




Old 3 days ago
  #26
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
It appears that other than a few Canadian dealers that Stateside it will be a Factory Direct situation. So I am guessing the $1199 will hold . Particularly if they get a good amount of pre-orders

Yes The Tweaker seems to be one of those sleeper amps that have a satisfied following and the low price is certainly attractive ... I was not aware of the Rivera unit. Looks really interesting also ...

No doubt the grab and go one unit is a big selling point
There are a number of dealers for the D20 stateside. The biggest one though is Sweetwater. The amps should be arriving there in late April or early May.

We actually don't do a seperate MSRP and street price. Our MSRP is the MAP price. We have always done this, we're not really fans of the idea of telling the customer that there is some inflated price, but they are getting a deal on it (at the price we had always intended to charge)
Old 3 days ago
  #27
Here for the gear
 

This is the first pro youtuber demo

YouTube

More will follow over the next 2 months as more of the amps get built and sent out. Do you have any requests as to who should be doing a demo of the amp?
Old 3 days ago
  #28
Here for the gear
 

Our amps aren't directly based on anything. Dan (President/Designer) generally has an idea of something he wants to try, and it is normally based off a certain sound he has in his head. He typically runs that idea past the rest of us on staff, and we talk with our friends/artists that are players to see what they are looking for in an amp. With the Dynamis, we spoke to a lot of musicians that were looking for something that does country/blues and midgain tones well. So we took everyones comments and worked to find something that we all liked. That is how it was designed. So, I wouldn't say it is Fendery, or Voxy, it is kind of its own thing. I would say it has more bottom end in it, and feels a bit warmer and fatter.

There are a number of demos on youtube of our stuff, anything with Joey Landreth in it, or any of Shawn Tubbs demos will be a great representation of what the cleans sound like.

Hope that helps you a little bit.
Old 2 days ago
  #29
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revv Amps View Post
This is the first pro youtuber demo

YouTube

More will follow over the next 2 months as more of the amps get built and sent out. Do you have any requests as to who should be doing a demo of the amp?
Yes that is a good review. Thanks for replying
Ah I just checked Sweetwater and they are advertising it for Pre-order

As far requests not specifically the Shawn Tubbs one is a good one. But I will offer who I personally tend to like for reviews

Pete Thorn
Tom Quayle


And If you have any interest in international exposure , (Although it took my a while to get used to their zany british humor) I think the guys at Andertons TV in the UK do a good job also
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
houndog328 / So much gear, so little time
7
KevWind / So many guitars, so little time
10
spinal / So many guitars, so little time
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump