The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
David Gilmour auctioning 120 guitars, including his fabled Black Strat, for charity
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz View Post
I like the fact that Gilmour will give the money to good causes. I hope it reaches those in need.

as far as 'creators' goes......hmm, I'm a little pessimistic about it TBH.........................they will go to rich, privileged, powerful men, who obviously won't be hungry enough to make them speak to masses of people or create anything groundbreaking with them..............

Sad really...............

Toys for rich boys. Maybe not even that, perhaps just skeletons hanging lifeless in display cases or on the wall, a talking point at dinner or something along those lines, a nice trophy................
Well I guess the fact they're going to sell for £100,000's makes them trophies not instruments.

If you think about it Gilmour (and the like) made all this wonderful music as a young man on an ordinary Strat out of a shop not on a guitar previously owned by a rock star that came before him (did any rock stars come before him lol)

I'm guessing great unkown players and visionaries of the future are probably currently practicing on their $99 Squire Strat.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think it's sad when an instrument is not played.

I directed a TV show some years ago at the Hard Rock in Las Vegas. I could have had the camera crew shoot the famous guitars in glass wall cases for the opening montage of the show, but those guitars in glass cases made me feel sick and depressed. That's how I feel about it, I don't care what other people think.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
...Gilmour is implying that he values the money more than the guitar which is why he is selling. I know the stated reason is to let other's enjoy it, but he could give it away or sell it for $1,000 if he simply wanted to feel the joy of knowing some guitarist was out in the world playing it in public.
It's very easy to be cynical about it, and say it's just another bullet point on the Rock Star Bucket List. Especially with a guy who has so much stuff, he has complete redundancy between his lavish home studio and his lavish boat studio.

And at first I thought, oh he's selling the Black Strat, that gotta be a personal loss, he'll feel that. And then he said, "... so Fender made me a bunch more just like it."

But one way or the other, at least the money ain't going back in his pocket. Unlike those bands who have these "this gear is meant to be used and enjoyed" sales on Reverb after they've realized they're paying more to warehouse their hoarded junk than it's worth.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
I'm guessing great unkown players and visionaries of the future are probably currently practicing on their $99 Squire Strat.
There's a thread right now with people, for reasons I can't fathom, lavishing praise on the sound of some POS Hondo Strat copy, when the praise should rightly go to the guy managing to play it.

Gilmour should have himself chauffeured directly to that kid's apartment (he's got four roommates) and let him pick from the dozen collector-grade Real Strats he's randomly tossed into the back of the Range Rover.
Old 1 week ago
Gilmour can afford to take the high road rather than hire Sothby's. He has the cash to make a rather large charitable donation without the idolatry.

If he wants more media praise, how about a contest to give them away to worthy, unknown players like he was when he started out?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Gilmour can afford to take the high road rather than hire Sothby's. He has the cash to make a rather large charitable donation without the idolatry.

If he wants more media praise, how about a contest to give them away to worthy, unknown players like he was when he started out?
...Well, to each his own I guess:
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
It's very easy to be cynical about it, and say it's just another bullet point on the Rock Star Bucket List...
I didn't say that, since I don't know what that even means. I don't personally think its morally wrong for a person to sell a guitar, however expensive or collectible, so its no slam on Gilmour and I don't see my comment as cynical. I also don't think it is morally objectionable when rich people convert personal property into cash either.

Really the only interesting thing here for me is thinking about strat 001. I like lots of Gilmour's work, but zero interest in his personal life.

More on the guitar The #0001 Stratocaster |
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
But one way or the other, at least the money ain't going back in his pocket. Unlike those bands who have these "this gear is meant to be used and enjoyed" sales on Reverb after they've realized they're paying more to warehouse their hoarded junk than it's worth.
Like when Billy Corgan tried to sell the Alesis sr16 he wrote drums for 1979 on for 30k on reverb? The highest offer was 9k... and they opened it up for a second round of bidding. Wtf all I see is a $100 drum machine. Not sure if they ever sold it but to have an offer like that and then ask for more tells me a lot about the motivation.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

To be fair, we are talking about mass produced, relatively low quality products here. Strats are band-sawed from just about any old wood Fender gets their hands on. Always have been. The assembly line cranks out a great many guitars ever day, with people doing one job on the line. Even the CS guitars are hunks of solid wood cut into a mass produced shape. Everything is CNC carved, and then some hand finishing goes into it on the most expensive models. The original Fenders were designed to be made quick. Necks were designed to be replaced and thrown away when the frets wore out.

These are not Stradivarius instruments, meticulously hand carved and finished from the finest tone materials on earth. It really does not matter whether they are played or not. Nothing in the world; nothing in culture, art or anything of great importance is lost if they are not played. Fender will make 100 more tomorrow to replace the non-played one. Even Gilmour acknowledged that fact.

Their value is totally supported by their use on famous recordings. I might argue that failing to tap that nebulous and ephemeral "value" for a greater good is where much would be lost.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
To be fair, we are talking about mass produced, relatively low quality products here. Strats are band-sawed from just about any old wood Fender gets their hands on. Always have been. The assembly line cranks out a great many guitars ever day, with people doing one job on the line. Even the CS guitars are hunks of solid wood cut into a mass produced shape. Everything is CNC carved, and then some hand finishing goes into it on the most expensive models. The original Fenders were designed to be made quick. Necks were designed to be replaced and thrown away when the frets wore out.

These are not Stradivarius instruments, meticulously hand carved and finished from the finest tone materials on earth. It really does not matter whether they are played or not. Nothing in the world; nothing in culture, art or anything of great importance is lost if they are not played. Fender will make 100 more tomorrow to replace the non-played one. Even Gilmour acknowledged that fact.

Their value is totally supported by their use on famous recordings. I might argue that failing to tap that nebulous and ephemeral "value" for a greater good is where much would be lost.
He is giving away a Martin D35 Brazilian rosewood. Low quality, maybe I have not tried it. It sounds quite good on "Wish you where here.", but at that time it was quite new. Now it is 50 years and are no good? Call it mass produced is maybe a bit over exaggerated?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
He is giving away a Martin D35 Brazilian rosewood. Low quality, maybe I have not tried it. It sounds quite good on "Wish you where here.", but at that time it was quite new. Now it is 50 years and are no good? Call it mass produced is maybe a bit over exaggerated?
Not talking about that. A Braz Martin D35 would certainly be an exceptional instrument that should be used, much more in line with any very high-grade, luthier-made acoustic. I was only referring to more modern, solid body, mass-produced guitars.

One or two Edward Hoppers in an auction batch of a hundred "starving artist" assembly line Americana paintings doesn't make them all Edward Hoppers.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

It would be fun to play one of his guitars. Just for the experience.

Hard Rock Cafe, or wherever they end up, should allow for such a thing somehow. Put them in a truck ala the John Lennon Project.

Trot them around the country with a duplicate of his signal chain as part of a traveling exhibition ala the Stanley Kubrick exhibit.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Here's an idea:

Someone who owns a rental house buys a few of these guitars, then charges people to use them (and donates a portion of the proceeds to charity).

Hard to find a downside with that plan.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Actually it's nor just the instruments that are on a pedestal, in truth it's the band's, the musicians and the songs.

It's impossible to disassociate your own emotional connection from famous bands and musicians and the perceived "greatness" of them and thier music.

I can sit at my piano and play a thousand different hits and rendered on a piano this stuff isn't Bach!

"Rock and Roll" is so harmonically and melodically simplistic that the magic lies in the listeners reverence of the said practitioner.

Or put another way, I've had a good friend rejected by every major label and he is without doubt THE most incredibly talented singer/songwriter I've heard .... stunning.

His guitar is worth slightly less than he payed for it ..... 'tiss a strange thing celebrity.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
If David Gilmour wanted to help starving artists, I'm sure he'd find a way. Feeding people is probably a lot easier. I'm sure he wants to not think emotionally about all this and just turn a page in his life. Artists do that a lot!......Better than doing a Pete Townsend and smashing them on his next tour to make an "artistic statement".....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
...Better than doing a Pete Townsend and smashing them on his next tour to make an "artistic statement".....
Townshend was, in the main, smashing mid-60's SG Specials. I can kinda relate. And FWIW, when I saw him do it from up really close, before "My Generation" he swapped the one he had been playing the whole set for a different one that didn't sound as good or stay in tune.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Townshend was, in the main, smashing mid-60's SG Specials. I can kinda relate. And FWIW, when I saw him do it from up really close, before "My Generation" he swapped the one he had been playing the whole set for a different one that didn't sound as good or stay in tune.
Probably glued together from the last show
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Maybe. At this show, I was right up from and this blonde girl right next to me took a big, jaggedy chunk of flying SG right in the forehead. She bled all over both of us. There was a major scrum and someone else came away with the chunk.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
A friend of mine saw the WHO play in his high school gym in Shawnee Mission KS. Townsend broke a guitar and some parts flew into the audience. The road crew immediately tried to retrieve the parts, presumably for that purpose.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Off topic, but a guy died 10-20 years ago who owned a guitar store and did tons of rubbing elbows with rock stars like the stones, who and so on--lots of photos on his wall thereof.

Some items from his estate sale showed up at a local flea market type music equipment sale. This included an acoustic guitar Pete Townsend purportedly busted up. So, in a guitar case, you have a neck, the figure 8 wood outline of the body disconnected from the neck, and a bunch of wood splinters sitting in the middle. Struck me as one of the most worthless celebrity guitars imaginable, but I suppose someone bought it and treasures it. Well, gluing that together would be as much work as building a 6 foot tall eiffel tower out of toothpicks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe. At this show, I was right up from and this blonde girl right next to me took a big, jaggedy chunk of flying SG right in the forehead. She bled all over both of us. There was a major scrum and someone else came away with the chunk.
Haha! Today, there would be a lawsuit. Back then, it was a cherished scar
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Haha! Today, there would be a lawsuit. Back then, it was a cherished scar
Cherished, I dunno. The Who were opening; she was there for The Association, most likely. Pretty sure they played "Cherish."

At the time, the scar would have looked sorta Harry Potter, had there been a Harry Potter. She never had bangs before then. And being very blonde, at at least it was unlikely to keloid.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
Pete Townshend's book is interesting. A very driven guy and did more than smash just guitars....... Not a guy you'd mess with.....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post

Well, like I said previously, he did so back in 2002.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Thing about collectibles is its of course impossible to forecast its future value. For instance, if my dad bought 8 1959 les pauls in 1959 and put them in a vault, they would be sufficient to fund my retirement today. He probably spent a similar amount on my college fund, but appreciated as normal financial investments to a normal amount. I will note today the number of special edition guitars made today where they are sold as 'tomorrow's 58 les paul', and of course they are not.

I also have a sense, that no guitar store folks will confirm to me, that the 58 les paul may command less money than it did 10-20 years ago--I just hear vague comments from those who know. So, collectibility can wax and wane. I recall when beanie baby plush toys were insanely increasing in value--until they weren't...

I have the sense that certain works of art have appreciated a lot more than inflation and other investments--say the paintings of van gogh from being worthless at his 1890 death to hundreds of millions today. Same with other famous paintings. Far more than gold has appreciated.

Even though I only purchase 'player' guitars, my personal feeling is that strat serial number 1 is a collecter's item and not too be played in a cover band in a bar. I can give no rational or persuasive reason I hold this view, which fits with my view that collectiblity is not a rational thing, but rather a sentimental one, or whatever purely feelings oriented word one wants to give it.

Its pretty easy to find a good american strat for under a grand that in my opinion would play and sound as good as strat #1 . In previous discussions, I have expressed my own view that collectible guitars do not have way better sound or playing action, but are collectible for other reasons, such as hendrix burned it at monteray and so on.

And as someone pointed out, if someone gave me strat 001, I would sell it and guit working rather than strum on it. I would be in awe of it and love it, but I love my time and leisure as well. Just my view. My opinion in general is that collectible is extremely personal to the individual, and not based on rational factors--so in no way am I saying another's view on these matters should conform to mine.

And to take a step back, Gilmour is implying that he values the money more than the guitar which is why he is selling. I know the stated reason is to let other's enjoy it, but he could give it away or sell it for $1,000 if he simply wanted to feel the joy of knowing some guitarist was out in the world playing it in public.
Strats that old don't play or sound the same as modern ones.

And yes, the rare guitar market is significantly "softer" now that it was 10 years ago with certain exceptions.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:

That's true of the current output but not thje vintage ones made in the '50s. They may have been made on anm assembly line, but it was an assembly line consisting on skilled human craftsmen each of whom was skilled at his particular step in the process. There was no CNC in the '50s.

I'd love to get my hands on that 001. The ones made back then are nothing like the modern ones except superficially.

Gilmour should give it to me.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Off topic, but a guy died 10-20 years ago who owned a guitar store and did tons of rubbing elbows with rock stars like the stones, who and so on--lots of photos on his wall thereof.

Some items from his estate sale showed up at a local flea market type music equipment sale. This included an acoustic guitar Pete Townsend purportedly busted up. So, in a guitar case, you have a neck, the figure 8 wood outline of the body disconnected from the neck, and a bunch of wood splinters sitting in the middle. Struck me as one of the most worthless celebrity guitars imaginable, but I suppose someone bought it and treasures it. Well, gluing that together would be as much work as building a 6 foot tall eiffel tower out of toothpicks.
"Just tryin' to do this jigsaw puzzle
'Fore it rains anymore."
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck View Post
I suspect Joe Bonamassa to buy them all.
This is well beyond Bonamassa's pay grade. No this will end up in some billionaire's collection.
Old 17 hours ago
Gear Guru
I'm sure this won't be a popular post but....... I could care less if the strat is put in a glass case, if it gets a zillion dollars to do good. I actually think the acoustics are more the pity, since each acoustic actually has a unique voice.....The strat sounded like it did because yes it has vintage wiring etc., but at the end of the day David Gilmour made the iconic sound (and the amp). FWIW I don't really play electrics much so......

It would be nice if people can see it and enjoy it however, because it is a piece of history. I hope it doesn't wind up in a glass case for some rich dude to show his friends on weekends........
Old 17 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
I hope it doesn't wind up in a glass case for some rich dude to show his friends on weekends........
If, like in the Joni Mitchell song, he charges his friends a dollar and a half, he should break even if he has 100,000 friends.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search