The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Fender Acoustasonic announced for Winter NAMM 2019
Old 23rd January 2019
Fender Acoustasonic announced for Winter NAMM 2019

I'm surprised there's nothing posted here yet about this curiosity. Fender's official introduction:

... and an Andertons video with a lovely opening jam:

Thoughts? I'm eager to try one out. I can't decide whether the look is going to grow on me or drive me up the wall. It's quite intriguingly ugly.
Old 23rd January 2019
Deleted 691ca21
Instant reaction is one of hatred for the design, the second is why a Tele/Acoustic crossover? But then they have done that before... Sounds nice but not for me.
Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 691ca21 View Post
Instant reaction is one of hatred for the design, the second is why a Tele/Acoustic crossover? But then they have done that before... Sounds nice but not for me.
Not for me either. I don't see any reason for a soundhole. I have already done this, using the Graphtech Ghost system, which I found superior to the Baggs and Fishman pickups. I have the mag pickups I want, both of them, and a vibrato as well, that I can adjust the intonation on.

This guitar would be pointless for me; a step backward.
Old 23rd January 2019
Gear Guru

I thought the older plastic ones were fun to play -- a bit Dobro-like -- and I'm sure I could find uses for this one, too. When I hit the lottery it'll be 32nd on my list.
Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear
I like it. Haven't looked at the price yet.
Old 23rd January 2019
$1999 USD seems to be the asking price. Whether that's list or street is unclear so far.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Addict

2000 USD for a guitar that looks and sound like a toy? Just because it's "Fender"?

No thanks. For 2000 USD anyone can have BOTH a good electric AND acoustic.
Or a good acoustic and a set of good effects.

It sounds plastic, lifeless, with no soul.

As overpriced as Taylor T5, which sounds awful as well
Old 24th January 2019
They tried to re-create the warm, rich, much loved tones of the Ovation....and nailed it!

Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
I'm surprised there's nothing posted here yet about this curiosity. Fender's official introduction:

... and an Andertons video with a lovely opening jam:

Thoughts? I'm eager to try one out. I can't decide whether the look is going to grow on me or drive me up the wall. It's quite intriguingly ugly.
Thx for posting the reverb walkthrough... the fender email linked to a long “behind the scenes” of how they developed the instrument... I kept fast forwarding but I dont think they ever got around to just presenting audio from the damn thing!

It strikes me as a vaguely Variax type of instrument, without as many different instrument options. Not that this is a bad thing, but, it made me think... whose tech is the modeling? Fishman’s? Fender’s?
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
They tried to re-create the warm, rich, much loved tones of the Ovation....and nailed it!

Mean!

But hilarious
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

I don't know if it's the Andertons YouTube video at fault but this guitar sounds absolutely awful.

Regarding a comparison to Ovation, I own an Ovation and direct into a PA the Ovation is a great guitar.

This new Fender couldn't carry an Ovation's jock strap - pardon my locker room humor.
Old 24th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
I don't know if it's the Andertons YouTube video at fault but this guitar sounds absolutely awful.
All the buzz on the Anderton's video is about the jam! The guitars just sound slappy and pingy, as you'd expect of such a guitar.

Old 24th January 2019
Can we go back to ignoring it now?
Old 24th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Can we go back to ignoring it now?
Sure? It seems inevitable that it will be an obvious compromise, trying to be several things at once and doing all of them badly, but it doesn’t hurt to verify that assumption.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

I realize I'm old fashioned but for a "close enough" acoustic sound and feel I always liked Gruhn's work and Gibson's Chet Atkins electrified acoustics like the one below

Makes no sense to me they quit making them.

Pretty decent demo at YouTube
Old 25th January 2019
Deleted b738100
They could at least be a bit more creative with their naming...

YouTube
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Sounds horrid... unclear to me who a target market is.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Addict

An acquaintance told me he really is interested. I can't really understand it, myself. Doesn't sound particularly wonderful in a lot of spots on the board. But, might be a nice guitar to have next to the couch, if you have too much extra cash laying around... Looks nice in some of the colors showed.
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Seen it, but hadn't heard it until now. Nothing special. Certainly no better or worse than a lot of other electric acoustics. Just another marketing thing; an overpriced addition to an already crowded field. Yawn.
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

I heard that thing all four days of the show. Just went back a couple of hours ago. Looked at it every which way. Picked it up a few times. Thought about the concept. Ugggh.

The only visual and sound I get from this guitar is basically of everything sounding like Lindsey Buckingham doing the el-kabong version of "big love".
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear
The herd has spoken. Few posting here would dare admit liking it for fear of losing cred. Those that remain in the background, keeping their mouths shut, don't want to lose theirs.

Me? I like it. Not at this price, but if a MIM was released...hmmm, the electronics wouldn't be the same, so not sure.

But I'm a lowly piano player who shuts my eyes when listening to music. I have no doubt I'd love Hungarian Rhapsody #2 if it was played well on a Casio or any other imperfect instrument...God forbid.

Last edited by onewire; 28th January 2019 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: Toned it down a little.
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 691ca21 View Post
The Telecaster shape is one of the comfiest, so why not?
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
The herd has spoken. No one posting here would dare admit liking it for fear of losing cred. Those that remain in the background, keeping their mouths shut, don't want to lose theirs.
@ onewire it's not a forum community thing. I think the Fender Acoustasonic guitar sounds terrible, but not everyone shares my opinion.

@Hermetech Mastering whom I respect very much, said it sounds nice. I would never argue with him about anything. I think his recording and mastering skills could overcome the deficiencies of the guitar.

And so it's not an arguing forum thing, it's personal preference. I think the guitar as is sounds like an artificial toy. "Toy" comment in the forum originally by @ ponkine , thank you.

Bottom line to me it sounds like a classical nylon stringed guitar processed through a strange forced EQ with unfortunately bad real time acoustics.

And I think anyone can comment on the guitar, the personalities here do not hold back.
Old 28th January 2019
Deleted 691ca21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
The Telecaster shape is one of the comfiest, so why not?
Sorry, wasn't speaking to the shape, Tele is my fave, more the acousticness of it, and the colour schemes. Looks horrid.
Old 28th January 2019
Deleted 691ca21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
@Hermetech Mastering whom I respect very much, said it sounds nice. I would never argue with him about anything. I think his recording and mastering skills could overcome the deficiencies of the guitar.
Not worthy, but THANK YOU!

I did manage to make my Faith Naked Venus sound half decent with a KM84, TG2, and a **** load of plugins the other day though.
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
Not worthy, but THANK YOU!

I did manage to make my Faith Naked Venus sound half decent with a KM84, TG2, and a **** load of plugins the other day though.
I'm sure you made it sound great!

I respect you very much and I thank you for your critiques with the interaction we've had.
Old 31st January 2019
Isn't this the 3rd time around for an 'acoustic Telecaster'?

It's becoming like "surround sound". It refuses to die and is brought back from the dead every 25 years. Just like Hollywood movies...
Old 1st February 2019
Gear Addict

Seems like you can get any piezo-equipped electric and add an Aura pedal and be in for less than $2k.
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobiedood View Post
Seems like you can get any piezo-equipped electric and add an Aura pedal and be in for less than $2k.
Agreed. That's what I did, and it seems to work pretty well.
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Isn't this the 3rd time around for an 'acoustic Telecaster'?

It's becoming like "surround sound". It refuses to die and is brought back from the dead every 25 years. Just like Hollywood movies...
Ha !!! Walking Dead would be a much catchier name and with a bonus pun thrown in

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search