The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Fender Acoustasonic announced for Winter NAMM 2019
Old 3rd February 2019
I suspect that body shapes like the Telecaster and Strat are not well suited for acoustic style guitars. Resonances and all that.

Plus, they look gimmicky, rather like kiddie toys.
Old 3rd February 2019
The look doesn't do much for me in the available incarnations, but I thought some of the design explorations they were showing off at NAMM looked better. Surely they all have similar sonic compromises regardless of the materials used, though, so I expect to be unimpressed when I finally try one out.
Old 4th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Surely they all have similar sonic compromises regardless of the materials used, though, so I expect to be unimpressed when I finally try one out.
If you expect to be unimpressed, chances are you will be.

Everything made by man has compromises. That's the human condition.

Just close your eyes, play, feel and listen. My guess is it feels and plays like a Fender guitar should in that price range. Are you a writer? If so, take it for what it is. Think outside the box.

After all. When Dylan picked up an electric, God forbid, it didn't ruin him did it? You would have thought so if you saw the reaction that day.

I can imagine a call and response, acoustic to electric. Or vice versa. Flip of a switch. I've got ideas working in my head...
Old 4th February 2019
Gear Addict

Godi did a similar thing a few years ago: a Multiac with acoustic strings, a neck pickup, and a piezo with built in Fishman Aura images. It sounded better than this Fender, and was about $1k cheaper.
Old 5th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
After all. When Dylan picked up an electric, God forbid, it didn't ruin him did it? You would have thought so if you saw the reaction that day.
Dulan started out playing rock and roll on electric. He was in the band that filled in for Buddy Holly after the plane crash, along with bandleader Robert Thomas Veline, AKA Bobby Vee. Dylan was calling himself "Elston Gunnn" (sic) back then.
Old 13th June 2019
Here for the gear

I bought an Acoustasonic Telecaster used as soon as I saw one discounted. I expect we’ll be seeing a lot more of them discounted in the near future. I bought it for a very specific purpose, recording direct (no mic). I’m also not a guitarist, though I play one on recordings. Here are some observations: It plays easy. That was an important factor for me, as (see above) I’m not a guitarist and I don’t enjoy playing acoustics. Too much work. So kudos to Fender for making a pseudo-acoustic that plays like a tele. Here’s the thing, it doesn’t sound like a mic’ed acoustic guitar. Well, you may say, of course not. To which I say, for 2 grand? It dang sure better. It has that plastic, crappy sound that all piezo ac-el guitars have, a sound I really cannot stand. So I bought an impulse response loader and loaded it up with really good impulse responses from Martins, Gibsons, and Takamines. Playing through that is an improvement, but you know what sounds much, much better? A $280 Fender Newporter acoustic-electric, which, through the impulse response loader, sounds just like an acoustic guitar with a mic in front of it. Why, one might ask, would the much cheaper guitar sound better in combination with this technology? I don’t know, but the Acoustasonic’s simulation tech seemed to be fighting the impulse loader and the Newporter plays very nicely with it. I sold the Tele, at an appropriate discount, and am happy as a clam with the Newporter which has a strat-ish neck and through the impulse loader, sounds like the real thing.
I gotta say, the Acoustasonic Telecaster is more than a little snake-oily to me. It does not sound like a real acoustic guitar. It doesn’t. If it had, I would have been perfectly happy having spent $1600 on it.
It’s not much better than any other decent acoustic-electric which is to say, it reminds you of an acoustic guitar in much the same way that velveeta reminds you of a great aged cheddar—painfully.
Old 15th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
I'm surprised there's nothing posted here yet about this curiosity. Fender's official introduction:

... and an Andertons video with a lovely opening jam:

Thoughts? I'm eager to try one out. I can't decide whether the look is going to grow on me or drive me up the wall. It's quite intriguingly ugly.
Useless junk designed to separate gullible hipsters from their hard earned table waiting tips.

EDIT: There are so many things wrong about the design of this monstrosity that I don't even know where to begin.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Useless junk designed to separate gullible hipsters from their hard earned table waiting tips.

EDIT: There are so many things wrong about the design of this monstrosity that I don't even know where to begin.
John why be so shy about your thoughts, just tell us what you really think ?

I kinda agree and personally do not care for it at all
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Addict

If you could just use something like the Fishman Aura system to imprint the sound of an acoustic guitar onto something that looks like an electric, why bother designing something that is neither acoustic no electric? If this was all we needed all this time, people would be getting convincing acoustic sounds out of their Strats and LPs..but I don't think the technology is remotely close yet.
Old 17th June 2019
Deleted 691ca21
Innovation is cool, but the main reason I wouldn't go near that with a ten foot barge pole is that it's butt fugly.
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobiedood View Post
If you could just use something like the Fishman Aura system to imprint the sound of an acoustic guitar onto something that looks like an electric, why bother designing something that is neither acoustic no electric? If this was all we needed all this time, people would be getting convincing acoustic sounds out of their Strats and LPs..but I don't think the technology is remotely close yet.
Closer than you think. I use the Graphtech Ghost saddles, and an Aura pedal, and it does pretty decent. This is on a Hamer Chaparral (a SuperStrat style guitar).
Old 18th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
Closer than you think. I use the Graphtech Ghost saddles, and an Aura pedal, and it does pretty decent. This is on a Hamer Chaparral (a SuperStrat style guitar).
Being genuinely curious, I'd love to hear a recording of your rig.
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobiedood View Post
Being genuinely curious, I'd love to hear a recording of your rig.
Unfortunately, I don't think I have any. In the studio, I'll still pull out a real acoustic. This setup is to allow me to go from one to the other immediately live.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search