The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Playing FAST.. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444thc View Post

He probably plays Paganini too.
He quotes the easy part a couple of times.

I wonder if there's a guitarist that has recorded the whole thing? How about with an acoustic guitar?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearFiddler View Post

I wonder if there's a guitarist that has recorded the whole thing? How about with an acoustic guitar?
Ask google and ye shall receive

.. and of course don't forget Steve Vai in the movie homage to shred and all things 80's guitar Crossroads where he paid homage to it with "Eugines Trick Bag".
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
I still like that dumass "crossroads" flick, don't know why. Ry Cooder also added his talents too I believe
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
Ask google and ye shall receive

.. and of course don't forget Steve Vai in the movie homage to shred and all things 80's guitar Crossroads where he paid homage to it with "Eugines Trick Bag".
Nice!

She made an adaption or 2. She doubles back on the opening arpeggios for instance. That's cool though. For the most part it seems to lie pretty well. Some things look easier for the guitar than on the violin.

Don't tell my peeps but, I think I might like it better on guitar, actually!

I'll review Steve's effort. I don't think he covers the whole Caprice. I just thought that with all the guitarists who can play parts of it there might be someone that has recorded the whole thing. I'd imagine it might have to involve a little Whammy action to get all 3 octaves on the arpeggios?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

How about Elliot Fisk?
YouTube
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gtoboy View Post
I still like that dumass "crossroads" flick, don't know why. Ry Cooder also added his talents too I believe
Roadhouse is far more entertaining. It has Jeff Healy too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
How about Elliot Fisk?
YouTube
Spectacular! I don't see the 5th from him anywhere, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...of which I have very little.

I quit listening about 10 years ago, for the most part, and have spent most of that time in silence, or what passes for it. IOW, if I wasn't working on my own music, there was rarely any music playing and when there was it was for fairly targeted reasons. But, the acoustic guitar just might be the cure....so refreshing in this world of loops and samples and auto this and that.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Spectacular! I don't see the 5th from him anywhere, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...of which I have very little.

I quit listening about 10 years ago, for the most part, and have spent most of that time in silence, or what passes for it. IOW, if I wasn't working on my own music, there was rarely any music playing and when there was it was for fairly targeted reasons. But, the acoustic guitar just might be the cure....so refreshing in this world of loops and samples and auto this and that.

Well this one says it's all 24 (full album), but I haven't taken the time to go through it (it's over an hour long)...
YouTube
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalsound View Post
I guess what I'm saying is there weren't fast solos in mainstream music in the '90's to now. Bands like, Goo Goo Dolls, Gin Blossoms, Weezer, STP, Lenny Kravitz, Nickleback, Our Lady Peace, Pappa Roach, Limp Bizkit, Wallflowers, etc. on and on and on...

In fact mainstream music has been revolting against that style for years.

So, I could see where the Millennials would have no interest since it wasn't reflected as popular in their lives and they would only know it looking back on what their parents might have listened to. Which could be seen as old fashioned anyway.

But, apparently there are shredders in the group as I can see here.
Meh.

Music tends to be cyclic.

What goes around comes around, usually in somewhat altered form.

There will always be showoffs, there will always be people who aren't.

That's life.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
[...]

What goes around comes around, usually in somewhat altered form.

[...]
Quote:
fugue
/fyo͞oɡ/Submit
noun
MUSIC
a contrapuntal composition in which a short melody or phrase (the subject) is introduced by one part and successively taken up by others and developed by interweaving the parts.
PSYCHIATRY
a state or period of loss of awareness of one's identity, often coupled with flight from one's usual environment, associated with certain forms of hysteria and epilepsy.
[taken from the current Google Search definition]

I keep coming back around to this demi-dichotomy. Or would it be a quasi-dichotomy?

Anyhow, it's enough to make you think... in... circles.

Have we talked about harmonic resonance in the evolution of brain function today?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

@MDMe_sadie @Mikhael thank you for the searches on my behalf. While I admit that my first inclination upon wondering about something isn't yet a google search or a query for Siri, I'm perhaps not as challenged as it must seem, hopefully. Just a bit busy and prone to wondering *out loud* still.

I'll try to do better though. Thanks again!

GF
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post

There will always be showoffs, there will always be people who aren't.
I think that if someone is going to perform and hopefully entertain they pretty much have to be a showoff to some degree in some way or another. Some may have little more than their incredible technique to show, some may bring sex appeal, angst, what have you. It goes with the territory. Showoffs, SHOWOFFS, and total Hams but one way or the other, it's called show business for a reason.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
I think that if someone is going to perform and hopefully entertain they pretty much have to be a showoff to some degree in some way or another. Some may have little more than their incredible technique to show, some may bring sex appeal, angst, what have you. It goes with the territory. Showoffs, SHOWOFFS, and total Hams but one way or the other, it's called show business for a reason.
Sure, there is showing off, but IMHO there is also just plain ol' wanking in public. No judgement here, just not something i find interesting.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
@MDMe_sadie @Mikhael thank you for the searches on my behalf. While I admit that my first inclination upon wondering about something isn't yet a google search or a query for Siri, I'm perhaps not as challenged as it must seem, hopefully. Just a bit busy and prone to wondering *out loud* still.

I'll try to do better though. Thanks again!

GF
You're welcome. I just knew, as the discussion hit this point, that I remembered Eliot Fisk having a soundpage in Guitar Player a few decades back, where he played one of those, and had mentioned recording them. I figured what the heck; YouTube has everything else, so that's probably there too...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gtoboy View Post
Sure, there is showing off, but IMHO there is also just plain ol' wanking in public. No judgement here, just not something i find interesting.
I've seen this word "wanking" so often used in discussions of guitarists. I'd kind of come to the conclusion that it's what guitar players other than oneself do.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi777 View Post
Who here remember this video?
I've always found it so funny...specially at minute 4:30

That vid inspired me to actually listen to the guy for the first time ever. I researched other material, etc. and found that he is an amazing player that is of the fastest and cleanest I've ever seen. He makes Malmsteen look like sloppy too.

He came from a time when guitar ruled the world and any pushing of the talent envelope was well received and respected. Today has changed in that you get more vanity out of being a high-poster in an online forum or being Kim Kardashian. Things weren't always as they are today, you have to remember, ...or in younger cases, realize.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Today has changed in that you get more vanity out of being a high-poster in an online forum or being Kim Kardashian
Online forums are a thing for old generation like me and you (and also maybe Kim Kardshian, she is too curvy for young generation, they usually prefer skinny girls)

Now for kids (not interested in music) it's all Whatsapp, Twich (videogame streaming) and Fortnite.
(and xxx sites with skinny models also)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've seen this word "wanking" so often used in discussions of guitarists. I'd kind of come to the conclusion that it's what guitar players other than oneself do.
It's like the George Carlin observation: "Ever notice how everyone driving faster than you is an asshole, and everyone driving slower than you is an idiot?"
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Playing fast, like shred, for the sake of it? No thanks

Playing fast, within the context and appropiate for a song, YES

The days of this are way over. No one needs a billion of tasteless showoff notes, without any sense of melody and feel

Even Michael Angelo Batio could and can play way better without the silly shred. He's indeed a top class guitarist, but a wasted talent too often

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
He makes Malmsteen look like sloppy too.
Sorry but no. His articulation is not as good as Malmsteen's. Specially his second finger pulls out very often there weaker sound than the remaining. 1:51 and 2:18 some sloppiness there for example. Awful tone and not so great songwriting and stiff playing on top of that... Seen both live and there's no comparison.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My current favourite fast player is John Petrucci.

Old 4 weeks ago
I'll just throw this in here since I'm a big Perry Mason fan and this is one of the more ear-catching versions of the old B&W show's theme in the stream-o-sphere. In this studio version (I did check out a disappointing live version), Scotty Anderson nimbly walks the thin line between show-stopping and showing off...

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I always enjoyed Sabicas.. flamenco style
YouTube
wonder if there is any electric guitar footage.
Old 4 weeks ago
To be honest, as fun as a sharp, fast shredfest can be... I mostly prefer complexity and musical richness to speed. That said, it still clearly takes skill, precision and a certain kind of speed to play this piece as John Renbourn plays it...

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

dueling banjos 210bpm zesty YouTube
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

millennials shredding

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Since you are namedropping here goes the one that sets the standard

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgFree View Post
Since you are namedropping here goes the one that sets the standard

Well, as much as I like Johnny Mac, you could go back a lot further than that, to jazz, country swing, bluegrass, that sort of thing. They were ripping long before shred came about.
Old 4 weeks ago
Like...

(Don't get me wrong, I'm also a fan of McLaughlin -- who I've seen live, though, sadly during my drinking days. I will say that coming in in the middle of the tune above is pretty disconcerting. I'm not the kind of guy who likes to take solos out of musical context. Having listened to a fair bit of McLaughlin in my time, I strongly suspect, the piece has been developing for a while at the point we join in at the beginning of the vid above.)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search