The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fuzz Pedal guitar tones in songs recorded after 1990 Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Fuzz Pedal guitar tones in songs recorded after 1990

As the title says.

All the songs where you know for sure (or you can clearly think) that the guitar tone is obtained with a fuzz pedal, well... just list them in this thread.

1990>>NOW.

Used for rhythm or lead. [Or both]
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

CHERUB ROCK
Smashing Pumpkins (1993)
( Big Muff )

SABOTAGE
Beastie Boys (1994)
( Black Cat Superfuzz )

~~~~~~~~~~

bit o' cheat .. wuz a quick google search .. whilst the tv ads were on ..
wouldn't have a clue otherwise .. fuzz be a tad turn off ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmos88 View Post
bit o' cheat .. wuz a quick google search .. whilst the tv ads were on ..
wouldn't have a clue otherwise .. fuzz be a tad turn off ;-)
eh eh eh ...of course this is what I would also do

But I hope that someone knows tasty but not "top charts" albums recently made with stellar fuzzy tones.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

does Gary Moore count ?
i'm guessing not as he'd been using fuzz boxes way before 1990 ..
but .. the again .. he released a few songs after 1990

Gary Moore's Guitars and Gear
pedals n effects .. bottom of that page
~~~~~~~~~~
tbh .. untill i'd be reading these GS pages ..
i thought electric guitar playing amongst younger folk had just about died out
i'm glad it hasn't :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~
i've always got music playing in the background .. at home or whilst on the road
but .. these days it tends to be classical / jazz / country / ambient-relax .. 'n suchlike ..
apart from one 2hour talk show .. on bbc2 .. that plays new .. and old .. pop n rock songs ..
elec. guitar playing doesn't seem to feature much .. if at all .. on newer trax ..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
anyhowz .. looking forward to listening to any 'tasty' fuzzbox trax GS folk might add to this thread :-)
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
elec. guitar playing doesn't seem to feature much .. if at all .. on newer trax ..
young folks listen spotify and youtube, not the traditional radio.

Guitars still have a big role today, more than you think.
But probably in genres of music that you don't like or that you don't explore.

For example metal, modern prog, and alternative rock, bluesy rock, modern country, and fusion jazz; still have talented players and interesting (sometimes very complex) guitar works... if you like the genres and depending on them you like eventually also modern tones.

Metallica "Hardwired" album for example sold 4 millions copies in 2016. Maybe you don't like their guitar tones or style or arrangement, but... their songs are guitar centric, with a traditional guitar solo in the center, and is not music intended for old people (their concerts audience age factor is quite broad).
It's just to give numbers.

A lot of young guitarists love "Djent" related songs (playing a heavy crunch with 7 or 8 strings guitar). Sometimes interesting contaminations like djenty-jazzy-prog-shred things.
Old 4 days ago
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

You can look at the festival lineups for Austin Psychfest from 2011-2015, and lo: hundreds, maybe thousands of songs with fuzz pedals.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I don't understand your use of what I view as a totally arbitrary conditional of Time frame and for this reason. All effects, and certainly fuzz pedals, are exactly that... effects, some flavor on top of a base sound. They are never completely isolated and they are very interactive. There are many players after 1990 who use fuzz pedals that are sort of Ultra Vintage employing germanium transistors and by 1990 there were fuzz pedals that had been around for years that didn't even depend on discrete transistors of any kind but used Tubes or Integrated Circuits and even Digital. Once you combine any fuzz with other flavors of tone/gain modifiers either or both pre and post fuzz the variety of possibilities is rather endless.

So rather than cite a recording or three, here's a demo video of "moving on from vintage fuzz" that demonstrates some of these possibilities since often incorporating what used to be external pre or post is simply included in one unit and that's all that "modern' or post 1990 really is, as you will see and hear, here.

Note: It's a bit slow starting into the meat of the demo so feel free to jump about. All in all it is quite instructive and interesting.

Hope you find it helpful and fun.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi777 View Post

Guitars still have a big role today, more than you think.
But probably in genres of music that you don't like or that you don't explore.

For example metal, modern prog, and alternative rock, bluesy rock, modern country, and fusion jazz; still have talented players and interesting (sometimes very complex) guitar works... if you like the genres and depending on them you like eventually also modern tones.
i'd love to listen to some new bluesy rock, modern country, and fusion jazz .. country rock .. southern rock like the allman bros ..
but i wouldn't know where to look :-/
last cd's i bought were by lady antebellum and robert plant with alison krauss .. but that were ages ago

really wanted a solo cd by James Calvin Wilsey ..
but amazon.uk wanted £200 .. bit steep for a cd ..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
off to listen to the posted trax ..
really like that edward collins song :-)
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
I don't understand your use of what I view as a totally arbitrary conditional of Time frame and for this reason.
Because I'm interested in discovering modern bands that use the fuzz as main distortion tone for recording, instead of the 100% amp tube drive like many prefer.
Someone can say that 2000 maybe is more modern than 1990 or maybe not...but the number is just a to set a reasonable limit to cut off vintage and classics from the thread.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
youtubeiYFz4pKclyA/youtube
Very nice song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhedonia View Post
You can look at the festival lineups for Austin Psychfest from 2011-2015, and lo: hundreds, maybe thousands of songs with fuzz pedals.
Ah! Very interesting.

Quote:
i'd love to listen to some new bluesy rock, modern country, and fusion jazz .. country rock .. southern rock like the allman bros ..
but i wouldn't know where to look :-/
The first thing that I can say is that the more you search the more you find.

For the moment, on the fly, I just say Joe Bonamassa and The Aristocrats (paying attention to pick the trio that is formed by Govan Minnemann Beller that made Culture Clash, because the are several "aristocrats" band on spotify with the same name). With those albums you can spend the next week with tasteful listenings. They are all on spotify.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
The first thing that I can say is that the more you search the more you find.

For the moment, on the fly, I just say Joe Bonamassa and The Aristocrats (paying attention to pick the trio that is formed by Govan Minnemann Beller that made Culture Clash, because the are several "aristocrats" band on spotify with the same name). With those albums you can spend the next week with tasteful listenings. They are all on spotify.
@Kimi777
cheers
will go do a search
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

from 2003:

Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

only a guess - some songs by Muse?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi777 View Post
Because I'm interested in discovering modern bands that use the fuzz as main distortion tone for recording, instead of the 100% amp tube drive like many prefer.
Someone can say that 2000 maybe is more modern than 1990 or maybe not...but the number is just a to set a reasonable limit to cut off vintage and classics from the thread.
My point is that it isn't so much what you use but how you use it.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
My point is that it isn't so much what you use but how you use it.

sure but it's still interesting to know and/or speculate on who used fuzz on what records more recently, considering that fuzz did seem to (just my perspective) gradually go out of fashion.

If I'm wrong, and fuzz is more common than ever,then it's interesting to figure out why I got that impression.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

I like the Way Huge Swollen Pickle.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search