The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lowden
Old 1 week ago
Lowden

Been saving a while for a really nice acoustic as a step up from my current Faith guitar. The last year I've been mainly lusting after Lowdens. I have a done a lot of online research, they seem to be well loved, (albeit having quite a different sound/voicing/bracing from the American "big three" acoustic companies), but have yet to see or play one in the flesh. The quality and attention to detail seems to be very high, and I love the very minimalist look and design of most of them.

They have four sizes, O (Jumboish), F (Dreadnaughtish), S (OMish) and WL (Parlour), and three main ranges, Original, 35 and 50, increasing in quality of finish, appointments, wood selection and of course, price. Right now I am leaning towards the F or S size as I want an all rounder/versatile guitar that is great for playing at home, finger picking and strumming, and records well.

There are three stores within a couple hundred mile radius of me that usually have around 40 in stock, so when the time comes I will spend a few days trying out a load of them.

Here's the nicest sounding YT demo I found recently:

And there are also a couple of lovely video series on the website which explain about the range and various models:

Lowden Guitars - Handmade and Hand built Acoustic Guitar Range from Downpatrick, Ireland

Anyway, I am just fishing for info and personal experiences here! Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
Been saving a while for a really nice acoustic as a step up from my current Faith guitar. The last year I've been mainly lusting after Lowdens. I have a done a lot of online research, they seem to be well loved, (albeit having quite a different sound/voicing/bracing from the American "big three" acoustic companies), but have yet to see or play one in the flesh. The quality and attention to detail seems to be very high, and I love the very minimalist look and design of most of them.

They have four sizes, O (Jumboish), F (Dreadnaughtish), S (OMish) and WL (Parlour), and three main ranges, Original, 35 and 50, increasing in quality of finish, appointments, wood selection and of course, price. Right now I am leaning towards the F or S size as I want an all rounder/versatile guitar that is great for playing at home, finger picking and strumming, and records well.

There are three stores within a couple hundred mile radius of me that usually have around 40 in stock, so when the time comes I will spend a few days trying out a load of them.

Here's the nicest sounding YT demo I found recently:

And there are also a couple of lovely video series on the website which explain about the range and various models:

Lowden Guitars - Handmade and Hand built Acoustic Guitar Range from Downpatrick, Ireland

Anyway, I am just fishing for info and personal experiences here! Thanks in advance for any input.
Hi Gregg, my friend had an F35 (I think) the non-cutaway version, with spruce top (I think). Tony would sing and play harmonica with the Lowden and nothing clashed: I'd describe the sound as sparkly with dense low end without any boominess. Very nice for live performance or recording: plenty of dynamics and volume with being over-dominating.

I found the string spacing quite wide: more Taylor 414 (wide) than Martin D15 (tighter); so great for finger-style but also a grand strummer.

I like to think my Taylor 414ce was similar but really the Lowden was in another league having that extra excitement in the tone and dynamics.
Physically it has an excellent build-quality...great craftsmanship.

Lowden-lowden-1.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Lowden-lowden-1.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Thanks Arthur, that one looks lovely! Pretty sure that's an F32 (Original series, F size, with RW & Spruce), can tell as there is no abalone bling around the sound hole. Can get confusing as there is an O series (Original) and an O shape (Jumbo), and the numbering is different on the Original series (refers to wood, not appointments).

Thanks for the notes on sound, I can't wait to try some out! Of course lusting for the 50 series but not sure I'll be able to stretch that far, I think they start around £5k.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

It's been such a long time ago so I'm not certain of the model number, but I believe it was an O 32. Absolutely beautiful rosewood back and sides and sitka top. Great sounding guitar. I don't remember why I got rid of it but have regretted it many times. This was 20 years ago or so. I know the name was sold for a while. I found one of these "Lowdens" on Craig's List for a good price but it was really poorly made. Very discouraging as I was hoping to find another one that I could afford.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search