The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cables for rack system and rack pedal drawer Signal Splitters (HW)
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Cables for rack system and rack pedal drawer

I am going to wire up my first rack system. I am making the cables. I am wondering if I should use a thick cable like Mogami 2524 and switchcraft 228 or Mogami 2314 with squareplug sp400’s? I want great guitar capacitance. Would the thicker cable keep treble better while the thinner cable lower tone over the longer runs? I want my guitar to sound the same as if I used a one foot cable run. Obviously, I use buffers. I am using Voodoo Lab GC Pro and four GCX units. My current guitar is a D' Angelico Excel semi-hollowbody with high-output Kent Armstrong humbuckers. Anyhow, advice is appreciated. I am not sure how capacitance works. This will be used in studio and live.

I will likely move the GCX's to the very bottom of the rack. This is my first system I have set up though so I am open ears.

Also, I need another pedal drawer. Preferably, to match what I have. Any advice on where to buy that and what type to get is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikslopot View Post
I am going to wire up my first rack system. I am making the cables. I am wondering if I should use a thick cable like Mogami 2524 and switchcraft 228 or Mogami 2314 with squareplug sp400’s? I want great guitar capacitance. Would the thicker cable keep treble better while the thinner cable lower tone over the longer runs? I want my guitar to sound the same as if I used a one foot cable run. Obviously, I use buffers. I am using Voodoo Lab GC Pro and four GCX units. My current guitar is a D' Angelico Excel semi-hollowbody with high-output Kent Armstrong humbuckers. Anyhow, advice is appreciated. I am not sure how capacitance works. This will be used in studio and live.

I will likely move the GCX's to the very bottom of the rack. This is my first system I have set up though so I am open ears.

Also, I need another pedal drawer. Preferably, to match what I have. Any advice on where to buy that and what type to get is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Mogami 2319 is easy to work with and under $.50 a foot.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Once your guitar signal has traveled through a buffer or a wireless system the impedance is much lower and wire capacitance becomes much less of an issue.

I'd use whichever wire you're most comfortable working with (stripping, soldering). Series-resistance through cable is the worst tone killer for me, I hate the crappy cheap 26ga guitar cords in stores. I still have a lot of Belden 8410 and Canare GS-6 in stock from bulk buys so I usually build unbalanced cords from these but I also love the premium Mogami brand.

I like classic Switchcraft connectors because I've been working with them for 40+ years and they're small in outer diameter so they pack in close together.

My guitar rig uses two GCX, a PX8 and a Control Switcher to switch my Boogies and Marshalls. I am a big fan of the Voodoo Labs switching systems.

Personally I would mount each GCX right under the shelf or drawer that contains the pedals it is switching. Keeping these unbalanced cables as short as possible and as far away from wall warts or other power supplies will help minimize induced hum and noise. It's a lot easier to route a midi cable from GCX to GCX rather than extending all those audio wires to a bunch of congregated GCX at the bottom of the rack.

Good luck and good music to you!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback View Post
Good luck and good music to you!
You as well!

I would love to know how the Belden 8410 compare to the Mogami or Sommer Cable The Spirit LLX or Vovox? I have read the Belden is very durable.

I will take your advice on the shelves and GCX.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicklickz View Post
Mogami 2319 is easy to work with and under $.50 a foot.
I used 2319 for my last pedalboard. I agree. It is easy to work with and inexpensive.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikslopot View Post

I would love to know how the Belden 8410 compare to the Mogami or Sommer Cable The Spirit LLX or Vovox? I have read the Belden is very durable.

I'm still working from a stash of 8410 from the late 70's. It's still flexible and has a nice rubber feel to it. I'm shocked how expensive wire has become. Belden 8410 is not friendly for making guitar cords, that braided shield requires a lot of work. I have three dozen three-foot patch cords made from Switchcraft 280 plugs and 8410, been using these since mid 80's.

Back in 1986 I was running a music store and taught my GF to solder, she was a master cable maker and produced a lot of cables which I'm still using in my studio. In 1987 a local studio hired her and paid her $20/hour to do wiring for them, that was a lot more than she made working in the music store lol.

Good music to you!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search