The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Bass Guitar Tone SUCKS!!!! Need advice!!!
Old 26th January 2019
  #61
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Find a bass player that's into Reggae.

I thought he was! Said he played with Dennis Brown when he was younger!

You’re absolutely right though. I seriously didn’t expect that response when I asked him to dial in his tone before the jam session. :0/
Old 26th January 2019
  #62
Lives for gear
 

Flat wounds and perhaps mute the strings with foam ?
Old 26th January 2019
  #63
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

I play bass, I've mostly used half-rounds. But I could get all the bass I needed no matter which strings I used.
Old 26th January 2019
  #64
js1
Lives for gear
 

Here's another thought.

You must have some bands that are similar in sound to what you're going for. Maybe sit down as a band, play some sample tracks, and talk about what you like about the sound. Statements like "that bass is WAY up front, and it makes the track", might open up the conversation.
Old 26th January 2019
  #65
Lives for gear
 

To me, you really need a bass with flats to do proper reggae tone. I also would prefer a short scale bass sound, myself, but that's just me. Do you have one set up for that to let him try to see the difference?
Old 26th January 2019
  #66
Lives for gear
 
64gtoboy's Avatar
I've been following this thread at work without listening to the audio examples. Now that I have had time to listen I think I would probably try to steer this by "ruining" the track by throwing a subharmonic synthesizer plugin and massive eq on the recorded bass track(with the collusion of the other band members)to get it closer to what is needed and play it back for the band. Don't make it sound good , just get the bottom end in there and then every one can agree that it "fits the tune better this way, can we maybe re record it with the BG like this?"
Old 26th January 2019
  #67
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by js1 View Post
Here's another thought.

You must have some bands that are similar in sound to what you're going for. Maybe sit down as a band, play some sample tracks, and talk about what you like about the sound. Statements like "that bass is WAY up front, and it makes the track", might open up the conversation.


I sent some YouTube examples of really successful Reggae bands that have a similar tone to what I’m after. One of them is Chronixx which I also posted a live snippet of in this thread. He was actually familiar with Chronixx, said he was a big fan. I had hoped he’d sit down and study it and make some adjustments but he didn’t.
Old 26th January 2019
  #68
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoepedals View Post
To me, you really need a bass with flats to do proper reggae tone. I also would prefer a short scale bass sound, myself, but that's just me. Do you have one set up for that to let him try to see the difference?

While I think this could potentially help in certain situations, with all due respect...I don’t think this is true. Flatwounds as de facto for Reggae is a myth perpetuated on the Internet.

Yes the grand master Aston “Family Man” Barrett used Flatwounds but there are literally dozens of other renown Reggae bass players who used Steinbergers etc. with roundwounds. Just search the internet and you’ll come across all the pictures.

Besides that, most of the modern Reggae bassies out of Jamaica are using active 5-strings with roundwounds, especially when they play live. I have a p-bass with flats and an active 5-string with rounds and prefer the rounds by a country mile. It goes so much deeper than my p-bass there is no comparison.

I’ll use the p-bass if I’m doing old School Rocksteady or foundation roots but for Reggae that has more than “two-chords” I’m using the active with rounds every time.


*NOTE: The tone is in the fingers NOT in the gear!
Old 26th January 2019
  #69
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
While I think this could potentially help in certain situations, with all due respect...I don’t think this is true. Flatwounds as de facto for Reggae is a myth perpetuated on the Internet.

Yes the grand master Aston “Family Man” Barrett used Flatwounds but there are literally dozens of other renown Reggae bass players who used Steinbergers etc. with roundwounds. Just search the internet and you’ll come across all the pictures.

Besides that, most of the modern Reggae bassies out of Jamaica are using active 5-strings with roundwounds, especially when they play live. I have a p-bass with flats and an active 5-string with rounds and prefer the rounds by a country mile. It goes so much deeper than my p-bass there is no comparison.

I’ll use the p-bass if I’m doing old School Rocksteady or foundation roots but for Reggae that has more than “two-chords” I’m using the active with rounds every time.


*NOTE: The tone is in the fingers NOT in the gear!
Sure, people can do it a lot of ways. I just meant that, for me, flats are really the sound that I like for this type of music and I also think it would help with this particular bass player. If you play with the tone controls and the right amp you can certainly do it with rounds, too. But if you have a bass player who is used to funk, taking away the option to be super bright and zingy by getting him to try flats might be a good way to steer him towards the right direction.
Old 26th January 2019
  #70
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoepedals View Post
Sure, people can do it a lot of ways. I just meant that, for me, flats are really the sound that I like for this type of music and I also think it would help with this particular bass player. If you play with the tone controls and the right amp you can certainly do it with rounds, too. But if you have a bass player who is used to funk, taking away the option to be super bright and zingy by getting him to try flats might be a good way to steer him towards the right direction.

OK. I agree with this statement.

Last edited by Funny Cat; 26th January 2019 at 08:34 PM..
Old 26th January 2019
  #71
Lives for gear
 
BIG BUDDHA's Avatar
if he is a funk player he wont like flatwounds. he is into Bright. the 10s rigg reflects that.

if you add a couple of 15s underneath the 10s, you can still have the bright, but you can have some more lows, which is what your missing.

try adding a couple of 15s to the equation as well as the 10s. easy to try and nothings lost.

Buddha
Old 26th July 2019
  #72
Gear Nut
 
weave's Avatar
Ok - I’m dying to know how this came out. Did I miss it in here somewhere?
Old 27th July 2019
  #73
Lives for gear
 
Funny Cat's Avatar
Nah you didn’t miss it. A promoter I’m close with asked if my band would play his festival. I ran it by the band and the Bassie called me a few days later saying he couldn’t practice with us any more due to other obligations. We left it in good terms relatively speaking. I found another really tight bass player with excellent tone a little after but he has a newborn so that didn’t work out either. Right now I’m just doing the studio rat thing mostly. I might start looking again in the fall.
Old 29th August 2019
  #74
Shame, but it didn't sound like it would have worked with the funk treble guy.

That's the bit I don't get though - with people who really love music and sound in a broader sense, it's FUN to work on finding the tone that fits the context of what everyone is playing together. Isn't that that whole point of having different instruments and gear in the first place? Even more fun to have collaborative input of band mates working toward a common goal that makes everyone sound good. Your whole sense of feel is affected by the tone and instrument you play.

Strange cat by the sound of it.
Old 29th August 2019
  #75
Lives for gear
 
64gtoboy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon K View Post
Shame, but it didn't sound like it would have worked with the funk treble guy.

That's the bit I don't get though - with people who really love music and sound in a broader sense, it's FUN to work on finding the tone that fits the context of what everyone is playing together. Isn't that that whole point of having different instruments and gear in the first place? Even more fun to have collaborative input of band mates working toward a common goal that makes everyone sound good. Your whole sense of feel is affected by the tone and instrument you play.

Strange cat by the sound of it.
Over the years I have met some very talented people who were in there own world and just never could do the group thing or the try new stuff thing. Kind of a shame as it seems to me like the talent was wasted on them but that's not really fair either-maybe they were just fine in their limitations.
Old 29th August 2019
  #76
Gear Addict
Everyone sounds good in that recording, but I think his playing stands out, tone included. Sounds cool to me. Certainly not the typical all low end all the time reggae tone, but it's working to these ears. What I'm hearing in that recording sounds like it's got a strong emphasis in the low mids and also frequencies above the "twang" range but not too strong in what I'd consider the "twang" range of the bass. Leaves room for the kick to occupy the low lows. Of course, if the tone isn't working for the rest of the band, then something has to give. But I have a feeling he might be the kind of player set in his tone, it sounds intentional.
Old 30th August 2019
  #77
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Tell him you want his bass to sound like Robbie Shakespeare on this recording.

Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump