The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fender 68 Custom Vibrolux noise/mods plan and questions Electric Guitar Amplification
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Fender 68 Custom Vibrolux noise/mods plan and questions

Hey everybody, just had a few questions...

I have a 2016 68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb and it's pretty noisy. Both guitars that I own have humbuckers but I get a constant hum in the amp, reverb/trem turned on is even noisier and when I switch channels via the foot switch there is always a loud pop. I've done some reading and this appears to be a common problem with these. I've never upgraded an amp at all before so after scouring forums I've purchased supplies for a few mods to help things out.

1. Replacing stock Celestions with Weber 10F150 and 10A125
2. Purchased a Fromel Recap Kit

Going to take all of this to a tech to do soon but was curious on tubes? Any opinions on just buying a set from one of the online tube shops or should I mix and match? Might some better help with any hums/hiss/pops?

Any combos of tubs anyone else likes? Will they alter the sound that much?

Also, if anyone by chance has one of these 68 Custom amps with similar issues, have you corrected it and if so, what did you do?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If an amplifier exhibits hum the very first thing to do is to rotate the gain/volume controls. If they change the level of hum then commonly the source of the hum precedes that control. This narrows down the field considerably. If they have no affect then the most common source, assuming the power section is properly biased and balanced, is the power supply and most commonly due to faulty filter caps or a bad ground.

There are a lot of possibilities but the above are the most common and should be ruled out first. Just for reference sake, it is actually possible to have a high gain tube amp with absolutely inaudible hum.It just takes good components, proper layout, and fine tuning.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Yeah this one definitely has a built in hum. It's the same with both guitars and without anything plugged in. I will say it is much better in my current house over my last one due to the updated electrical in the house but it's still there.

Forgot to mention, I've also noticed when I hit certain notes there's a washed out rattle that comes from the back. I don't think it's a tube, a friend told me it could be something to do with the spring reverb?

In terms of the tubes, I was just looking for recommendations for anything that might make the amp a bit more quieter overall.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Your welcome of course but IMHO excessive hum is unacceptable. Contact Fender even if out of warranty and ask and possibly have them recommend a reliable tech near you. There is simply no reason you have to live with this. It might be as simple as a tube(s) or your recap kit may solve the problem but don't just accept it. A decent tech will take the job of identifying the source even if you don't elect to have him/her fix it. The charge should be very minor since all it requires is a half hour tops and an oscilloscope.... well, and some training and experience but that's implied by "decent" or "reliable".
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search