The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Radial JCR Reamp: user error, or defective?
Old 25th December 2018
Here for the gear
Radial JCR Reamp: user error, or defective?

So I got a lovely Reamp for Christmas, and when I hooked it up I got... nothing. No sound. I got out the cable tester and it appears to have a problem, but I can't just write it off as dumb user error because I haven't used one of these before.

See the attached pictures. The XLR shows a nice diagonal line showing all 3 pins are fine, and the instrument cable shows a nice X, as it should. However, when hooking it up through the Reamp, I get a vertical line where all 3 pins on the XLR output come through the Reamp to pin 1. I would expect some sort of X or diagonal line linking at least Tip to Tip and Sleeve to Sleeve.

In the picture, the XLR is plugged into the XLR input jack on the Reamp, and the instrument cable is hooked up to the output jack on the other side. Seems easy, right? I can't shake the feeling I'm doing something wrong, but I suspect it's defective.

Am I doing something wrong here?
Attached Thumbnails
Radial JCR Reamp: user error, or defective?-2018-12-25-07.35.40.jpg   Radial JCR Reamp: user error, or defective?-2018-12-25-07.36.45.jpg   Radial JCR Reamp: user error, or defective?-2018-12-25-07.37.07.jpg  
Old 25th December 2018
Lives for gear

The radial has a mute switch, is that depressed? It would be easier to determine user error if we could see how you have it set up.
Old 25th December 2018
Here for the gear
It's not muted. The setup is I have my line output from my DAW -> Patchbay -> 1/4" TRS to XLR cable -> XLR -> Reamp -> Instrument cable -> Amp input for the simplest setup. I know the DAW is putting out signal because if I route it back into a different DAW input, I see the signal.

I also tried it with a line output from a DI Box, where I had Guitar -> DI Thru line output -> XLR -> Reamp -> Instrument cable -> Amp input, and the same issue. I would be almost certain of user error if when I used the cable tester it showed Tip-Tip and Sleeve-Sleeve connections, but it shows it all going into Tip. So now I'm suspicious of a defective device, but I don't want to discount user error entirely yet. Is the cable tester showing a result that is expected with this type of setup, or anomalous? If it's anomalous, then it's almost certainly a defective Reamp.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

The only things that can stop the signal from getting through are the mute switch or the level control turned down all the way.

Do note on the output jack the ring contact is grounded. If the tip and ring on the other end of the output cable are connected the output could be shorted out. Possibly if the quarter inch cable were not pushed in all the way.

Otherwise call Paul at Radial and get a return authorization number to have it checked out.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search