The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Precision Bass wiring variations and capacitor value
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

Precision Bass wiring variations and capacitor value

I intend on rewiring a P-Bass of mine, upgrading the pickups, and using it as a project to develop my understand of such things. In my research I have found a few variations of how to wire up a precision bass and even the Fender website provides different methods for their standard American Precision and their Vintage P-Bass. What difference to sound/tone/operation would you expect from these 2 different wiring methods below and what would the difference in the value of the capacitors make? Many thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Precision Bass wiring variations and capacitor value-fender-precision.jpg   Precision Bass wiring variations and capacitor value-fender-vintage-precision.jpg  
Old 16th December 2018
It's the same thing, only the tone cap was moved. Best to replace that with a "no load" tone pot to disconnect it when not needed. Then, add a small DPDT toggle or push-pull pot to wire the pickups series/parallel. Then you have all the tones available.
Old 16th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
It's the same thing, only the tone cap was moved. Best to replace that with a "no load" tone pot to disconnect it when not needed. Then, add a small DPDT toggle or push-pull pot to wire the pickups series/parallel. Then you have all the tones available.
I don't understand why anybody would want to wire the pickup halves in parallel - the output is considerably lower and like most humbucking pickups, it was designed for series wiring.

Note that though they are individual pieces, the two pieces constitute one pickup.
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's the same thing, only the tone cap was moved.
So what difference would it make in placing the capacitor in each of those 2 positions and why would Fender wire these 2 differently models of their Precision Basses differently?

I'm assuming that the difference in the capacitor values would result in more/less treble reduction when attenuating with the tone pot?
Old 17th December 2018
Same cap value, .05 uf. Whether you feed the cap or a pot lug first doesn't matter in that circuit. It's a cap shunted to ground through a variable pot.

As to the parallel wiring option, it has a wonderful, almost acoustic quality, = very hi-fi and full. It sounds like Alembic or other wide band basses and it's a great option for an accomplished player needing more than a "one note Johnny" tonal selection.
Old 18th December 2018
Quote:
Same cap value, .05 uf. Whether you feed the cap or a pot lug first doesn't matter in that circuit. It's a cap shunted to ground through a variable pot.

As to the parallel wiring option, it has a wonderful, almost acoustic quality, = very hi-fi and full. It sounds like Alembic or other wide band basses and it's a great option for an accomplished player needing more than a "one note Johnny" tonal selection.
"An accomplished player"...? You mean like Jamerson?
Oh, WAIT!!!!
Old 18th December 2018
Quote:

"An accomplished player"...? You mean like Jamerson? Carol Kaye?
Oh, WAIT!!!!
Old 18th December 2018
More like anyone else wanting a variation in their sounds. Not everyone wants the same bass sound all the time. If they did only P-basses would be used?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search