The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Great recording guitars (clean electric) Electric Guitar
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Great recording guitars (clean electric)

I'm thinking about buying a new guitar for recording. I play mainly old-style country (slower melodic stuff with some pedal-steel type bends, and some very basic Chet Atkins style thrown in). I currently play a Yamaha Mike Stern Tele (ash body, maple neck, and with a '59 neck humbucker and Hot Rails bridge pickup). Strings are 11's. I also have a Gibson Les Paul Junior with ash body and maple neck and P90 pickups. I also have a more traditional Tele and Strat, but for some reason I never play them.

It always bugs me that getting guitars set up to play cleanly with good intonation and a decent tone isn't that easy. It doesn't bother me for normal playing, but when recording I'd like something which sounds really good. The problem is, I'm not really sure what sort of tone or guitar I'm looking for.

What sort of guitars might suit the stuff I play, yet play and sound blob-on? I'm wondering if I should stick to the Tele vibe, or go for something more off-the-wall. Maybe a semi-acoustic of some sort, or something basic which is really well built. I saw one internet retailer listing a Lowden GL-10 today, and thought that might be one (expensive) option, but the two sound-clips I heard made it sound maybe a bit too warm and jazzy.

No doubt my 'problem' is probably to do with a lack of playing and recording skills, but this question is more about a new guitar for now!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Deejayen,

What are you playing through ampwise?

You should be able to get any of those guitars to play 'cleanly'..both mechanically and sonically.

You've got an almost complete range of the 'big' guitar styles/sounds there..

Take your favorite guitar in to a good set-up guy and get it set up properly according to how you play..

What's your plan for recording? Are you mic'ing an amp..direct in?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Get your tele back out, take it to a luthier to get it set up, and learn it.
Old 1 week ago
Get a Duesenberg
Old 1 week ago
Honestly a decent setup on any of those guitars will solve your issue from a gear stanpoint. Playing in tune is a whole other issue.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Tele all the way. Maple fret board for nice glassy tone.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Oh well, I'll stick with what I've got! I do like the guitars, but the difficulty is finding someone who will do a good job setting them up.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
Oh well, I'll stick with what I've got! I do like the guitars, but the difficulty is finding someone who will do a good job setting them up.
it shouldn't be that difficult to get a decent set up. Without wanting to offend it's possible that even a well setup guitar can be played out of tune by someone without good technique, and that doesn't necessarily mean playing lots of note fast technique, but good general left hand technique.

Also learn chord voicings that work with your guitar/set up too. A good example is 'F' in the first position, the 'A' on the 'G' string in that chord can sometimes be a bit pitchy if you're in tune with an open Am chord, so quite often play an F2 chord instead with the open 'G' an it gets round that issue.

Remember guitar tuning is a compromise so you do have to work it sometimes.

MC
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Deejayen,

Are you in a town, city, in the middle of the country?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

They're all right. Get both of your Teles set up. Or sell the one you don't like to fund the setup of the good one. Then it's all in yer mitts.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Thanks for that.

I think my Gibson "Tele" has a lot of potential. The problem is I bought it mail order (it was the only one for sale at the time) and the dealer shipped it out to me without a full setup (which I would have paid for). I think it's fairly typical of new Gibsons, but tuning is very unstable, and I worked out that it probably needed a new nut etc. There aren't any good luthiers near me, but I thought I'd found a good one who'd moved to a town about 130 miles away, so I took it down to him. It turned out he didn't replace or dress the nut, and it's still not set up the way I'd like (with a higher action and heavier strings). I'll just need to find someone else to work on it - I might get to a city over Christmas.

I've listened to a rough test recording I made a few months ago I think it will record very well if I can get it sorted. It has a lot of resonance which gets picked up when recording.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
I'm thinking about buying a new guitar for recording. I play mainly old-style country (slower melodic stuff with some pedal-steel type bends, and some very basic Chet Atkins style thrown in). I currently play a Yamaha Mike Stern Tele (ash body, maple neck, and with a '59 neck humbucker and Hot Rails bridge pickup). Strings are 11's. I also have a Gibson Les Paul Junior with ash body and maple neck and P90 pickups. I also have a more traditional Tele and Strat, but for some reason I never play them.

It always bugs me that getting guitars set up to play cleanly with good intonation and a decent tone isn't that easy. It doesn't bother me for normal playing, but when recording I'd like something which sounds really good. The problem is, I'm not really sure what sort of tone or guitar I'm looking for.

What sort of guitars might suit the stuff I play, yet play and sound blob-on? I'm wondering if I should stick to the Tele vibe, or go for something more off-the-wall. Maybe a semi-acoustic of some sort, or something basic which is really well built. I saw one internet retailer listing a Lowden GL-10 today, and thought that might be one (expensive) option, but the two sound-clips I heard made it sound maybe a bit too warm and jazzy.

No doubt my 'problem' is probably to do with a lack of playing and recording skills, but this question is more about a new guitar for now!
It's tough get some guitar sound good in this regard. Especially bolt-ons since they neck usually has so much play. The easiest thing to do is just use more vibrato in your playing technique
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Maybe, you need a good amp, not a guitar.

Old 5 days ago
You might want to add a Gretsch of a Gibson jazz box to your collection. A lot of those old time country players used big fat Gibsons and Chet, of course, favored Gretsch.

You'll probably want an amp like an old Fender Super or Pro Reverb.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
You might want to add a Gretsch of a Gibson jazz box to your collection. A lot of those old time country players used big fat Gibsons and Chet, of course, favored Gretsch.

You'll probably want an amp like an old Fender Super or Pro Reverb.
Agreed on all counts. And just yesterday I worked with a guy who reinforced my opinion that for both cleans and pedals, the RI Princeton is very good.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
It's tough get some guitar sound good in this regard. Especially bolt-ons since they neck usually has so much play. The easiest thing to do is just use more vibrato in your playing technique
If your bolt-on has play in the neck joint, there's something amiss. How many bolt-ons with Floyds are there, that stay rock-solid in tune? Thousands! That shouldn't be an issue.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

I've got a Deluxe Reverb, which is great for clean.

I noticed when I got the Gibson that its set neck seems a lot more 'flexible' than any bolt-on neck I've played.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search