The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mini-amp to use as a "cue monitor" while tracking Electric Guitar Amplification
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

custom build yourself a small cab+spkr+power amp .. ( line level input )
and use a guitar pre-amp/fx of choice

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
That wouldn't be necessary for the direct monitoring function, true -- I could plug the output into a spare interface channel and monitor that way.
But that's not direct monitoring. You need a console to direct monitor. You monitor the direct signal from the console before it goes to the interface.

You're already "compromising" on the "direct monitoring" idea by using a modeling amp.

It seems to me that you are going to have to adjust your "requirements", or just go with something you've found and try to make it work.

cheers,

audioforce
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannis View Post
it looks great - but it weighs 12kg compared to 2.8kg for the Yamaha, and I think it's louder - but I can't be sure about that

Tube amps are lovely things, but "portable and quiet" is not their sweet spot.
Biyang Micro Guitar Amplifier Head All Tube Electric AMP Head VT-1H 1W ECC83 | eBay

With a small 6" or 8" speaker?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Vox handbag thingy or Katana airhead?

YouTube
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
it looks great - but it weighs 12kg compared to 2.8kg for the Yamaha, and I think it's louder - but I can't be sure about that

Tube amps are lovely things, but "portable and quiet" is not their sweet spot.
Or something like that
Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 Pedalboard Leistungsverstarker | eBay

There is a stereo version too
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
I’ve got something similar- Palmer Eins - Palmer Eins – Thomann UK

Sounds pretty damn good with a 2x12 but a bit feeble with anything smaller than 10”

The mini digital combos manage to pull off some trick to make them sound ok at low volumes on small speakers
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
But that's not direct monitoring.
I don't really care what you call it. I mean monitoring the guitar signal before it goes through the DAW to minimize (not eliminate) latency. And I can certainly do that without a console.

Quote:
You're already "compromising" on the "direct monitoring" idea by using a modeling amp.
Not in any way that will disturb my workflow in the slightest.

Quote:
It seems to me that you are going to have to adjust your "requirements", or just go with something you've found and try to make it work.
I think this impression is based on a misunderstanding of what my requirements are.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
If you mean the THR series, yes, I think it would work (it was in my original list).
Based on all your answers and explanations, your original list looks hard to beat. I’ve heard more love for the Vox than the Yamaha, but that may just be coincidental
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmos88 View Post
custom build yourself a small cab+spkr+power amp .. ( line level input )
and use a guitar pre-amp/fx of choice

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This will cost more in both time and (probably) money, and be less portable, than the kinds of amps I listed in my original post. What's the upside?
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
This will cost more in both time and (probably) money, and be less portable, than the kinds of amps I listed in my original post. What's the upside?
i'd guess the upside .. is potentially .. you'd get exactly what you want

only thought of it ..
.. cause i saw a 5w rms audio power module for about £10 ..
.. small guitar spkr .. $55 .. e.g. .. Alnico Signature 6
power supply shouldn't cost much
+ bit o' woodwork .. 'n soldering ..

wouldn't be surprised if there be a related thread in here ..
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/

then choice of any number of guitar pre-amp+fx units on the market ..
the 'powered spkr' could be at a distance from where you sit/stand 'n play if desired
'n pre-amp/fx unit close to hand for tweaking ..

2 small fairly portable units ..
with the pre-amp fx unit being usable with any future amp setup

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'n other solution ..
spend moolah (£$) on modeling pre-amp/fx unit ..
i.e. one with cab sims ..
and ..
find cheap portable hi-fi to run it through .. ( via an aux-in )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't really care what you call it. I mean monitoring the guitar signal before it goes through the DAW to minimize (not eliminate) latency. And I can certainly do that without a console.
I think a lot us have been trying to help you.

So you just don't want to software monitor, but you're not trying to actually direct monitor, right? Because you do need a console [or at least some sort of hardware mixer] to direct monitor.

Quote:
Not in any way that will disturb my workflow in the slightest.
That you know of, anyway. : ).

Quote:
I think this impression is based on a misunderstanding of what my requirements are.
I think you've repeated your "requirements" over, over, and over. And you keep adding to them with stuff like "it has to be so small that I can carry it in my pajamas while not spilling my coffee that I'm carrying in my other hand."

So maybe you are looking for some sort of magic Star Trek solution, that doesn't yet exist.

So a lot of people have come up with good suggestions for you, that would work, but you keep firing back "requirements". That's why I said it seems that you should probably just go with what you've found and already deemed acceptable [or adjust your requirements to allow for one of the many good choices people have been nice enough to suggest].

Or you can keep trying to get others to do your apparently impossible shopping for you. : )

It does seem like a lot of machinations just to get to some sort of "lowered latency monitoring" scheme. But I guess you have a plan in mind that you feel will work for you personally, and I understand you wanting to carry it out.

cheers,

audioforce
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

I think you've repeated your "requirements" over, over, and over. And you keep adding to them with stuff like "it has to be so small that I can carry it in my pajamas while not spilling my coffee that I'm carrying in my other hand."
Honestly apart from the humorous additions he’s been consistent all through. He wants a really small amp to mimic a software sim with less latency. He wants to be able to travel with it, doesn’t like headphones.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Honestly apart from the humorous additions he’s been consistent all through. He wants a really small amp to mimic a software sim with less latency. He wants to be able to travel with it, doesn’t like headphones.
I know. That's what I was saying. At this point I think his requirements have been understood. I thought the thing about not spilling the coffee was kind of funny, but I guess it did add or clarify a requirement of a "really tiny amp".

Hopefully one of the amps he already found, and approved of, will work for him. I think that everything currently available has probably been suggested. But, hey, maybe someone can do some more research on this fascinating issue. : )

Also, its possible that, during the pendency of this thread, an entirely new technology may emerge to solve everything. So there's that, too!

cheers,

audioforce
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Maybe one of the Roland Cube amp varieties (SS) or a Fender Champ X2 (tube pre, SS power) or a VOX Valvetronics (SS pre, tube power, pretty cheap used, different wattage offerings).
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So maybe you are looking for some sort of magic Star Trek solution, that doesn't yet exist.

So a lot of people have come up with good suggestions for you, that would work, but you keep firing back "requirements". That's why I said it seems that you should probably just go with what you've found and already deemed acceptable [or adjust your requirements to allow for one of the many good choices people have been nice enough to suggest].

Or you can keep trying to get others to do your apparently impossible shopping for you. : )
I find it kind of hilarious that you're saying things like "apparently impossible" and "magic Star Trek" when my original post included a list of amps that I thought would work for me. I asked for informed opinions about them and/or for possible additions to the list. I thought it was clear, in context, that I was assuming said additions would be functionally similar to the amps on my list, and that I wasn't asking to be steered toward amps with entirely different characteristics.

In other words, I didn't start this thread to find out if there was anything out there that could work for me. I started it to help me refine and possibly narrow down the list of options that I felt pretty sure would work for me. And I don't think there was anything the least bit unclear about this in my original post.

A few posters, like grannis and kozmos88, clearly got where I was coming from and have offered genuinely helpful advice, and I am grateful for this. I've been on Gearslutz for long enough that I wasn't terribly surprised to get lots of suggestions for things that clearly wouldn't work for me. Perhaps it would have been wiser to just ignore them instead of pushing back. Whatever. On we go.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I find it kind of hilarious that you're saying things like "apparently impossible" and "magic Star Trek" when my original post included a list of amps that I thought would work for me.
Well, that is kind of funny, I must say.

Quote:
I asked for informed opinions about them and/or for possible additions to the list. I thought it was clear, in context, that I was assuming said additions would be functionally similar to the amps on my list, and that I wasn't asking to be steered toward amps with entirely different characteristics.
This is where you forgot you were on Gearslutz.

Quote:
In other words, I didn't start this thread to find out if there was anything out there that could work for me.
Well, you kinda did...., are you sure?

Quote:
I started it to help me refine and possibly narrow down the list of options that I felt pretty sure would work for me.
And you asked if there were any other amps to add to the list. That's where you invoked the "Gearslutz anything goes clause", allowing responses to be "in the form of whatever the poster happens to be thinking about".

Quote:
And I don't think there was anything the least bit unclear about this in my original post.
Again, Gearslutz allows anyone to misunderstand your question, for any reason, and to post with the misunderstanding in mind.

Quote:
A few posters, like grannis, clearly got where I was coming from and have offered genuinely helpful advice, and I am grateful for this. I've been on Gearslutz for long enough that I wasn't terribly surprised to get lots of suggestions for things that clearly wouldn't work for me. Perhaps it would have been wiser to just ignore them instead of pushing back. Whatever. On we go.
First of all, grannis almost always make sense. But that's not going to stop the rest of us.

Second, again you must remember that on Gearslutz your idea of what "clearly wouldn't work" for you is probably way different than what everyone else is thinking about.

Anyhow, I figure you're getting it sorted.

cheers,

audioforce
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I quite like the Yamaha THR amps - but right now, the Vox Adio seems to be an even better deal due to the Bluetooth option.
Anyway, I liked both of them when I took them home for a testride.
The good thing about both being that they're stereo, so they can nicely serve as a boombox for your smartphone or whatever. Also, both of them have an internal audio interface, which might come in handy to capture quick ideas.
Fwiw, the Blackstar is looking even better as it has at least some sort of rudimentary footswitching - which I find in fact to be quite annoying with the Yamaha/Vox. Haven't tried the Blackstar myself, though - but it could even be the better sounding amp, I remember previous models to have a kind of "rough" edge, which I think of as a good thing for these small thingies, most of them IMO sound too tamed. Another reason for me to possibly prefer the Adio over the THR, it also has some edge.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Another cheap and great option which I use, is to use an amp Plugin with a stand alone app. I use Amplitube which I run simultaneously with Cubase, I hear the sound from Amplitube while I record the clean guitar in Cubase, and I dont have to worry about latency. Works great. Amplitube is on sale right now, but you could use any stand alone software guitar software I guess.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botvede View Post
Another cheap and great option which I use, is to use an amp Plugin with a stand alone app. I use Amplitube which I run simultaneously with Cubase, I hear the sound from Amplitube while I record the clean guitar in Cubase, and I dont have to worry about latency. Works great. Amplitube is on sale right now, but you could use any stand alone software guitar software I guess.
That's an interesting concept, and I'll check it out. I assume latency is low enough to be a non-issue with a standalone sim app?

I'd still want a practice amp, though. Just imagine how much coffee I'd spill carrying my interface and monitors around the house.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I assume latency is low enough to be a non-issue with a standalone sim app?
No latency is no problem, you could always demo it, but I doubt, that you will have any issues.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey all,

I'm in the market for a very small, portable guitar amp for zero-latency monitoring of direct guitar recordings to be later re-amped or shaped with modeling plugins. It'll also see use as a practice amp and travel amp, so it needs to be very portable. It doesn't need to be very loud--but it does need to be able to put out a wide range of sounds, from very clean to very overdriven, at conversational volumes and with decent basic onboard effects (reverb/delay/chorus/tremolo). And it needs to cost $500 or less.

I'm assuming what I'm talking about is something like one of these:

Yamaha THR10 (or THR10C)
Vox Adio Air GT
Boss Katana Air
Blackstar ID:Core BEAM 2x10
Fender Mustang GT40

1. Are there any amps that I should add to this list?
2. If you have direct experience with one or more of these and would like to share it, I would like to hear it.

FWIW, the kinds of projects I do tend to use clean to crunch tones more than high-gain tones, but I do want the latter available when I need them.

Please don't reply "everything but a tube amp sucks, get a little tube amp." I am aware of the glories of tube amps and the deficiencies of everything else. But there are multiple reasons why I don't think a tube amp is my answer here, and it's not like I'm planning to use the sound of this amp in any finished mixes. (I'm not even planning to record it, in fact.)

Thanks for your help!
Get the cheapest one you can find!

Pick up a used mustang v2 amp... or the boss or vox... I love the mustang because I can control the amp/fx via usb to get close to the sound that’s in my head...
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’ve got something similar- Palmer Eins - Palmer Eins – Thomann UK

Sounds pretty damn good with a 2x12 but a bit feeble with anything smaller than 10”

The mini digital combos manage to pull off some trick to make them sound ok at low volumes on small speakers
This one is :
1. Cheap
2. Sounds good
3. Fits a pedalboard
4. Can go into a. speaker (who cares what size - its for monitoring), Speaker sim-> HPhones c. small load into a headphone distributor (cheap small one) (may not even need a load - its 1W at full volume on a sunny day)
5. Its tooobs - warms you up in winter
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's an interesting concept, and I'll check it out. I assume latency is low enough to be a non-issue with a standalone sim app?

I'd still want a practice amp, though. Just imagine how much coffee I'd spill carrying my interface and monitors around the house.
Its usually worst, unfortunately. Even using hardware assisted (Creamware in the past, Avid later) "amps" latency wasnt good. You still have AD/DA latency plus software, doesn't matter how you look at it
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unless you chain other latency introducing plugins serially with Amplitube, latency will be the same. Cubase itself doesn't add anything.
In a nutshell: No, this method won't help.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck View Post
Unless you chain other latency introducing plugins serially with Amplitube, latency will be the same. Cubase itself doesn't add anything.
In a nutshell: No, this method won't help.
The latency in my DAW (not Cubase, Digital Performer) is not a problem at buffer sizes of 128K or less. But I can't play back anything approaching a full mix at that setting without my machine grinding to a halt. I thought Botvede was implying that by using a standalone app for the guitar playback, I could get the benefit of a low buffer size (and therefore lower latency) in the amp app while using a higher buffer size in the DAW app -- but I'll admit I'm bumping up against the limits of my understanding of how computers handle audio data, so I won't be surprised to hear that can't be done.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The latency in my DAW (not Cubase, Digital Performer) is not a problem at buffer sizes of 128K or less. But I can't play back anything approaching a full mix at that setting without my machine grinding to a halt. I thought Botvede was implying that by using a standalone app for the guitar playback, I could get the benefit of a low buffer size (and therefore lower latency) in the amp app while using a higher buffer size in the DAW app -- but I'll admit I'm bumping up against the limits of my understanding of how computers handle audio data, so I won't be surprised to hear that can't be done.
Well, this could theoretically be possible, but it'd likely cause more problems than it'd adress, especially in case you're on Windows where using the same ASIO driver in a multiclient setup is hardly possible at all, let alone at different buffer sizes. And even on OSX, which is quite a lot better in terms of multiclient audio performance, this would possibly gain you little, if anything (or even to the opposite).

I think that if you are concerned about latency and taking away a bit of the burden caused by running at lowest buffersizes, your initial idea is a good problem solver, given that you find a sound you're happy with while tracking, at least more or less representing what you'd like to end up with.
I'd simply check all the contestants out myself...
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
This one is :

5. Its tooobs - warms you up in winter
You're in Melbourne- what do you know about winter?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck View Post
I think that if you are concerned about latency and taking away a bit of the burden caused by running at lowest buffersizes, your initial idea is a good problem solver, given that you find a sound you're happy with while tracking, at least more or less representing what you'd like to end up with.
I'd simply check all the contestants out myself...
Yeah, intuitively it makes sense to me to keep the monitoring path out of the computer, unless there's a really good reason to do otherwise. Why make the CPU do anything that's not mission-critical? But I'll check it out just to see how/whether it works, even if I don't settle on it as a long-term workflow (and I need a practice amp anyway, so it won't necessarily affect this purchase one way or the other....). Always good to know all the available tricks.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
In a nutshell: No, this method won't help
Well it certainly helps, you use the guitar app outside Cubase in the stand alone app, so even when there is a latency of 512 or higher in Cubase, there is no latency when you play the sound from Amplitube. It works great on my mac
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're in Melbourne- what do you know about winter?
Gts down to -2C

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search