The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pedal to Make a Sound like the Wind? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Pedal to Make a Sound like the Wind?

Hi,
I am looking for a pedal to make a sound like the the wind. Like wind blowing through trees, kind of like you might hear in the movies.

Now....let me say first - I am a violin player with a pedalboard and lots of nice stuff (Strymon Big Sky and Mobius, TC Elec. Quintesence, Future Impact.....)

...however........

what I want is a pedal that pulls out the "tone part of the sound" and leaves the hollow sound of the bow which I "think" I can turn into something like a wind sound using something like a sweep filter. I'm thinking something like Source Audio's Stringray.

OK ----- any help is greatly appreciated :: especially thoughts on taking out the resonating tone part of sound.

Thanks
Vmusic
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

I don't know jack about violins, but I can tell you that you can make a wind-type sound with a wah-wah pedal, just by rocking it back and forth with some distortion. I'm sure you could work something out like that for a violin.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Arrow Copilot FX

Diederich Electronics
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

There was some oddball wah pedal made back in the 70s that had a switch for 1) Wah, 2) Wind, and 3) Surf. The main difference between Surf and Wind was just EQ. The source was simply noise. Any White or Pink noise generator can act as the source and a wah will sweep it since a wah is basically a high Q variable bandpass filter.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
There was some oddball wah pedal made back in the 70s that had a switch for 1) Wah, 2) Wind, and 3) Surf. The main difference between Surf and Wind was just EQ. The source was simply noise. Any White or Pink noise generator can act as the source and a wah will sweep it since a wah is basically a high Q variable bandpass filter.
Distortion pedal = source of noise

You can get a cheap one for less than $20 (and it will be plenty noisy!)

With wah pedals, you generally get what you pay for. I play through a crybaby 535q. It's more expensive than the base model, but very much worth it.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

The Boss SY300 has a noise generator that can be adjusted (Sharpness) to follow the note you're playing. There is a programmable filter, LFO's and and a wide set of effects. This can easily create a wide range of wind effects.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Any looper with the ability to save loops would be able to do this with a realistic sample of wind. Having heard the samples above and owning the wah/surf/wind pedal(with siren, I might add), this is your best bet if you want realistic wind sounds although that may not be your goal.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I've had some pedals that sounded like ass, but I don't think that's what you're really after.
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear
Crybaby Wah pedal with distortion pedal...cool winds a blowin.
Old 15 hours ago
Lives for gear

Looper / Sampler with Wind sample.

Some (like the Pigtronix Infinity) let you move audio files on and off it like a hard drive, so you could just find whatever samples you want or make them and load it...

You could probably get there with any White Noise source and some Reverb and/or Delay, some sort of modulation to make it swoosh around.

But samples in a Looper pedal would be much easier, I bet.
Old 13 hours ago
Lives for gear

I use a Boss RC-300 looper, for one of the songs I do that needed some ambient wind background I recorded wind from my Sound-EFX library on to one of the looper tracks.

It works really well and sounds great, I included swells and production when I made the recording so it fits the song perfectly.

A wah pedal with a noise source sounds more like a typhoon than just wind. I have lots of analog synthesizers and have played around with noise-into-bandpass and various filter types but the sound of the wind from my SFX library was the best for my song.

Good luck and good music to you!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search