The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Epiphone ES339 neck crack
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Epiphone ES339 neck crack

I’m very disappointed with the quality of this ES339. It's a brand new guitar, 1 month old, bought from Germany (I'm from Romania). Last week, I encountered visual flaw: a scratch/ crack that starts from the same point on either side of the neck. Take a look:

On the forums people call them hairline neck crack. I was sitting and thinking about the guitar situation and trying to check my options because, it turned out that they sent B-Stock to this guitar although the invoice was not clear unless you translate the invoice from DE in Ro. I never asked for a refurbished one.

I have two options: on the one hand, the exchange means the return shipping risk during transportation, the possible payment for transport and possibly the difference from the B-Stock in a new one, as I have mentioned, or to keep it and fix it to a luthier who said he would fix it and it would not be any sign of the repair on it. In each of the two options, I pay some money (almost the same amount), but there is a risk in each of them. If i'll repair it, I will stay with my heart heavy thinking that once a guitar is being repaired, it's not the same as before, and there would still be a question of the integrity of the electronic pickups and knobs, given that I was sent a returned guitar. If I choose to return it, there is a risk of transporting the guitar, the tour and return time, and the waitng time because the store is getting new guitars just in December.

Other problems would be that it doesn’t stay in tune for so long like the other guitars I own. What do you think I should do?

This kind of cracks can be repaired in such way that it can be like a new one? No scratch, no visual marks? And if it can be repaired, it can be functional like a new one? Cause in this case, I'll rather repair it then go though this returning process.
Attached Thumbnails
Epiphone ES339 neck crack-45583887_2172915706053218_619379870866079744_n-2.jpg   Epiphone ES339 neck crack-45430422_2172915732719882_9168326391664476160_n-2.jpg   Epiphone ES339 neck crack-45430431_2172915806053208_1763739504197238784_n-2.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Nooope. I wouldn't risk keeping it. Return and exchange.

Finish can be repaired, it can look brand new. But why risk keeping it? It might not be just a finish thing, maybe the wood is damaged or warping.

And you mention it won't stay in tune. Why would you keep it when you can exchange it?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeky83 View Post
Nooope. I wouldn't risk keeping it. Return and exchange.

Finish can be repaired, it can look brand new. But why risk keeping it? It might not be just a finish thing, maybe the wood is damaged or warping.

And you mention it won't stay in tune. Why would you keep it when you can exchange it?
I agree. With the crack and the tuning instability, I would return it while I still can.
Old 3 weeks ago
With the tuning instability I'd say return it. The crack may just be a finish crack but it also might be a sign that the fingerboard is not glued on properly (it being on both sides suggests this) or may even be a crack in the neck wood.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

seems like the guitar was damaged in shipping. Not much of a quality control issue with th guitar.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
seems like the guitar was damaged in shipping. Not much of a quality control issue with th guitar.
You have no way of knowing that. I have seen Gibson guitars with inadequate (by which I mean almost no) glue in crucial joints that were held together largely by the finish - until they received a shock sufficient to crack the finish at which point they started coming apart, revealing a clean join with almost no glue.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Smile

I’m sure there are many examples of un-glued joints, John. But I’ve never seen it.

also. The cracks in the OP’s post look way more like an impact fracture than any kind of finish separation. Even one brought about by insufficient glue.

We’re also talking about an Epiphone. And the finish on those guitars is measurable.... close to 1 mm or more. It’s kind of amazing. Epiphone finishes Might even be stronger than most glues
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Insert sarcasm here.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
well, yeah. i might return it, but I lose money either way. So it's better to keep it and repair it, but I'm asking myself if it can work like a new one after it's being repaired.

as for the tuning issue, one guitarist friend of mine suggested that's it's a normal thing for electric guitars to not stay in tune for long, considering bending and all sort of stuff. so i think i'm gonna see some luthiers and then decide..
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
I’m sure there are many examples of un-glued joints, John. But I’ve never seen it.

also. The cracks in the OP’s post look way more like an impact fracture than any kind of finish separation. Even one brought about by insufficient glue.

We’re also talking about an Epiphone. And the finish on those guitars is measurable.... close to 1 mm or more. It’s kind of amazing. Epiphone finishes Might even be stronger than most glues
The one I'll never forget was an Explorer, one of a pair owned by a guy I guitar teched for. This one would never stay in tune, the other was rock solid. While on tour the equipment truck wrecked and the only instruments damaged were a Ludwig stainless steel kickl drum knockled out of round and the problematic Explorer, which had the neck come clean off. With the neck off it was obvious that the only glue in the neck pocket was maybe 1 1/8" bead at the top of one side. No glue on the bottom, no glue on the end, no glue on the other side. he neck had been held on by that tiny bit of glue and the finish. After having the neck reglued it was as solid as the other one.

That's not the only one I've seen but it's the most extreme example. Of course when you work as a tech you see more problem guitars than the average guy.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreineagu View Post
well, yeah. i might return it, but I lose money either way. So it's better to keep it and repair it, but I'm asking myself if it can work like a new one after it's being repaired.

as for the tuning issue, one guitarist friend of mine suggested that's it's a normal thing for electric guitars to not stay in tune for long, considering bending and all sort of stuff. so i think i'm gonna see some luthiers and then decide..
If it's under warranty I'd return it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I get what the OP is saying about it being a pain to return it; even that he has to pay the freight. But that neck is cracked. Something pushed on the headstock from the top, or it was dropped on its back without support behind the headstock. Either way, if it has tuning problems, it's not just a scratch or a finish crack. No way I'd keep it.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut
Returned it. Bought another one. Problem solved.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search