The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
(Almost) Well done Gibson!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

(Almost) Well done Gibson!

Well since we have plenty of threads on the demise of Gibson I though of posting something explaining why I see some hope still.

Being a Les Paul player since almost always I bought now an SG standard because I had a severe issue in a hand in the summer, had a series of surgeries and need to get back to playing gradually and preferably a light weight guitar because my shoulder also suffered from the whole adventure.

So I went hunting for an SG standard and this past week I found a great one from 2018. I mean it is really a great one. Know some guys in a music retail chain and asked around for a good SG with a one piece body. This is a great guitar with a very resonant body, no wolf-tones nor dead spots, the setup was great, the fingerboard is thick rosewood and gives a great singing tone to the sound, the finishing is perfect. Unplugged sounded perfect but...

It comes with the 61t and 61r pickups and why on earth would someone put these pickups in such an instrument?? They do everything right and choose these absurdly miserable pickups for the guitar! I actually like many Gibson pickups such as the 57, and all the buckers - the BB and custom. They are good pickups imho. Now these 61 pickups are horrible, weak midrange, harsh and not paf sounding at all to my ears. The worse was that the 1st and 4th strings did not sound good at all through these pickups and had almost no sustain and had weird overtones. Adjusting the height and pole pieces did solve it a bit but not completely. But my intention was already to put in a pair of SD.

The moral of the story is that they did very well around 95% of it: woods, construction, finishing, setup, and they screw up with the pickups. So clearly a management problem there. For me this shows that there is still hope with good management because not all has been lost with the previous.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Or you could look at their move as very clever.....they just knew some guys will buy replacement pickups as an upsell.

I'm kinda sorta in the mood to buy an sg..... After the telecaster of course.

Your review of the sg you bought kinda jazzes me to get one, maybe or maybe not replacing the pickups.

Had you said the neck/body, overall build were crummy, my brain would've x'd the guitar off my mental list.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

That's true, but having bad pickups will put some off when they try the guitars.
Definitely there's either something wrong with the pickups in mine or these things are really bad. They do not even clean up nicely. Seen that the SG standard 2019 don't come with these anymore.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

They have some cool stuff for 2019. The SG with the wrap tailpiece looks great. Wish it was available in white but sparkling burgandy is a color they haven't done in a while.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I've tried one of those sg fusion 2018 with wrap around and it was good. Nice spanky sound from the maple neck. It was orange though...

So definitely there was something wrong with some 61 pickups in some of the standards from 2018 I've got to know. The 61 without issues are actually nice pickups. So I stand corrected. The 61 pickups are coming also on the standard 61 2019 (which is pretty much the regular standard 2018?). Anyway I got a great guitar from a brand that according to some rumors was done already. Lets hope they make it back again because I (and many here) love their stuff
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

At least you didn't end up with this one:

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
At least you didn't end up with this one:

That's a Luap Sel! Have seen someone else posting another pic of such. Are they rarities or do they become a standard model?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

It is a right-handed neck on a left-handed guitar so I would be amazed if it is anything other than a manufacturing error.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I've been informed that they do it on purpose with the Historics, which seems weird.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search