The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I rest my case. Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I rest my case.

Tumeni Notes!

audioforce
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

And furthermore:

Pretty cool.

The classical guitar teacher at University just hated the electric guitar, and called it the "guitoilet". He would not take any of the Studio Music and Jazz Guitar Majors as students, except Morse.

audioforce
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
The classical guitar teacher at University just hated the electric guitar, and called it the "guitoilet". He would not take any of the Studio Music and Jazz Guitar Majors as students, except Morse.
He wouldn't take Morse at first, either. he had to practice for a year or two before he could get into the program, from interviews I've read.

I always liked his music. It's a shame his picking hand no longer works properly. That's something I dread now that I'm older. So far I've kept the arthritis at bay, but it can't last forever. I wonder how this will affect the performance of Dregs/SMB music? He'll probably get by with the Deep Purple gig a little longer, as it's not quite as demanding on his hand.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
He wouldn't take Morse at first, either. he had to practice for a year or two before he could get into the program, from interviews I've read.

I always liked his music. It's a shame his picking hand no longer works properly. That's something I dread now that I'm older. So far I've kept the arthritis at bay, but it can't last forever. I wonder how this will affect the performance of Dregs/SMB music? He'll probably get by with the Deep Purple gig a little longer, as it's not quite as demanding on his hand.

Sorry to hear about his hand. The Dixie Dregs were tops with me and a few of my friends when I was in high school at The North Carolina School Of The Arts. I knew all the violin parts to What If at one point. And we had a band that played "Cruise Control" at a school party...and the guitar played could hang. We weren't exactly a dance band.

As much as I think of Steve, the Deep Purple thing didn't quite work for me. I have the first CD and he just seemed sort of grafted on. He's sooo Steve Morse and it just didn't seem like Deep Purple.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
It's a shame his picking hand no longer works properly.
Hmm, I don't think its quite as bad as you are making it out to be. I think it hurts some after awhile, but he's still got that amazing facility, at least as far as I can see from what appears to be recent stuff.

Lets hope we're all alright, right?

audioforce
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmm, I don't think its quite as bad as you are making it out to be. I think it hurts some after awhile, but he's still got that amazing facility, at least as far as I can see from what appears to be recent stuff.

Lets hope we're all alright, right?
Some very recent clips I've seen have shown him to be a little sloppier than the precision he's shown in the past, and he's holding his arm/picking a little differently than he used to. He is still Steve Morse! But I haven't seen him live for many years, so this is based on recent interviews and crappy YouTube videos...

My biggest disappointment with him was when he joined Kansas. I thought his songwriting style would make up for Livgren's absence, but it sure didn't work out that way. He was apparently treated mostly like a hired gun, which did not set well with him, having been used to running his own bands. He said he was done with vocals, then a few years later jumped into Deep Purple. Go figure. Maybe the paycheck was irresistible...
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

He took over in Deep Purple for Joe Satriani, who toured with them after Blackmore left. Joe didn't want to join the band, and he recommended Steve, who they haven't heard of. As a lifelong Blackmore fan, I have to say, I *love* Steve Morse in Purple. Those early shows when he was using 5150 amps and trading 4s with Jon Lord..oh man!
He has had to change his picking several times in recent years. I don't think he will ever put his trio back together or see another Dregs tour, but DP is going in the studio soon.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobiedood View Post
He took over in Deep Purple for Joe Satriani, who toured with them after Blackmore left. Joe didn't want to join the band, and he recommended Steve, who they haven't heard of. As a lifelong Blackmore fan, I have to say, I *love* Steve Morse in Purple. Those early shows when he was using 5150 amps and trading 4s with Jon Lord..oh man!
He has had to change his picking several times in recent years. I don't think he will ever put his trio back together or see another Dregs tour, but DP is going in the studio soon.
I thought Tommy Bolin took over when Blackmore left. Did Blackmore return and then leave...again?

Well, different strokes, eh? A matter of taste. For my own part I prefer Tommy's version to everyone else's. Mark IV. Come Taste The Band. I guess he had some shows in Japan where he was pretty out of it from the drugs though. And people were yelling for Blackmore before he played a note, from what I've read.

I have the CD, Purpendicular. And going from that, it just didn't work for me, right away, for reasons already stated. And I'm rather open minded.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Steve's performance of JJOMD is a great example. Lots of "advanced" players would have to work for years to balance the melody, accompaniment and bass lines so successfully. Its even more impressive when you consider that playing style isn't his forte.

In my humble opinion, here are a couple of examples that do a pretty decent job of balancing musicality and technique.

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube
YouTube
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Sounds foolish.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by open_source View Post
Sounds foolish.
True though.

Mercadal would not teach any other Jazz Majors, only Morse.

I mean, we all had to study classical guitar a bit, but Steve was really into it. He does play good classical guitar. Not much of a straight ahead bop player, though, at least as far as I know. Don't think he really cared for it too much.

audioforce
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
True though.

Mercadal would not teach any other Jazz Majors, only Morse.

I mean, we all had to study classical guitar a bit, but Steve was really into it. He does play good classical guitar. Not much of a straight ahead bop player, though, at least as far as I know. Don't think he really cared for it too much.

audioforce

Sure it might be true, but it's also stereotypical trash you can find in academia. Guy can't be fired so he gets to declare what music is and isn't at the expense of whoever else.

I don't have any problem with a classical guitar teacher saying, "hey electric is not really my thing", because in my experience, that's the truth. I had a classical guitarist trying to teach me jazz back in the day and he just didn't have the same stuff to offer as a guy who lives to play bebop, same for rock, etc.

But that "philosophy" of his is the real garbage in the scenario, not the electric guitar.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Some very recent clips I've seen have shown him to be a little sloppier than the precision he's shown in the past, and he's holding his arm/picking a little differently than he used to. He is still Steve Morse! But I haven't seen him live for many years, so this is based on recent interviews and crappy YouTube videos...
You sure? I did see an interview where he talked a little about wearing a compression glove or something and using more "stiff arm" in his technique for endurance. But, honestly, I haven't seem any videos of him playing [recently or otherwise] where he was "sloppy" or in any way different.

What videos are you talking about?

Quote:
My biggest disappointment with him was when he joined Kansas. I thought his songwriting style would make up for Livgren's absence, but it sure didn't work out that way. He was apparently treated mostly like a hired gun, which did not set well with him, having been used to running his own bands. He said he was done with vocals, then a few years later jumped into Deep Purple. Go figure. Maybe the paycheck was irresistible...

I don't know about the Kansas gig. To be honest, I haven't followed his playing for quite a while. We went to the same school, had the same teachers I guess, and I played in some bands with a guy that was one of the Dregs' keyboard players. He and his band came to see a band I played in a couple times. I saw them a few times here and there out in L.A., too.

As far as Deep Purple, the only thing I saw was I think an HBO special or something. He was playing his ass off, but the singer was not making it for crap. I think it was Ian Gillan, but maybe someone else.

Steve just came to mind when that Roy Clark thread was going on about "who has great chops", so I looked at some of his Youtube stuff, and I was like, "Good Lord, he's really tearing it up, and those old Dixie Dregs songs were cool".

Anyhow, I hope his hand is doing good. Real nice guy. Always a gentleman.

audioforce
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by open_source View Post
Sure it might be true, but it's also stereotypical trash you can find in academia. Guy can't be fired so he gets to declare what music is and isn't at the expense of whoever else.

I don't have any problem with a classical guitar teacher saying, "hey electric is not really my thing", because in my experience, that's the truth. I had a classical guitarist trying to teach me jazz back in the day and he just didn't have the same stuff to offer as a guy who lives to play bebop, same for rock, etc.

But that "philosophy" of his is the real garbage in the scenario, not the electric guitar.
Yeah, Juan Mercadal's [guitoilet] attitude was obviously not too popular with the Jazz Dept. But I guess Steve put up with it because he really wanted to study with the guy. Mercadal was a pretty renowned classical guitarist and educator, apparently.

audioforce
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearFiddler View Post
I thought Tommy Bolin took over when Blackmore left. Did Blackmore return and then leave...again?

Well, different strokes, eh? A matter of taste. For my own part I prefer Tommy's version to everyone else's. Mark IV. Come Taste The Band. I guess he had some shows in Japan where he was pretty out of it from the drugs though. And people were yelling for Blackmore before he played a note, from what I've read.

I have the CD, Purpendicular. And going from that, it just didn't work for me, right away, for reasons already stated. And I'm rather open minded.
Tommy Bolin *did*, the first time Blackmore left. By then, Tommy was having a pretty bad heroin addiction, and his live playing was sort of...comical. Blackmore came back in 84 and stayed till 93.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You sure? I did see an interview where he talked a little about wearing a compression glove or something and using more "stiff arm" in his technique for endurance. But, honestly, I haven't seem any videos of him playing [recently or otherwise] where he was "sloppy" or in any way different.

What videos are you talking about?

I don't know about the Kansas gig. To be honest, I haven't followed his playing for quite a while. We went to the same school, had the same teachers I guess, and I played in some bands with a guy that was one of the Dregs' keyboard players. He and his band came to see a band I played in a couple times. I saw them a few times here and there out in L.A., too.

As far as Deep Purple, the only thing I saw was I think an HBO special or something. He was playing his ass off, but the singer was not making it for crap. I think it was Ian Gillan, but maybe someone else.

Steve just came to mind when that Roy Clark thread was going on about "who has great chops", so I looked at some of his Youtube stuff, and I was like, "Good Lord, he's really tearing it up, and those old Dixie Dregs songs were cool".

Anyhow, I hope his hand is doing good. Real nice guy. Always a gentleman.

audioforce
Well, I'm sorry, but I'd have to go back and listen to a bunch of this stuff to remember exactly what video showed what (I've slept since then). I just remembered that he seems to be using more distortion than he used to, and all the notes weren't popping out as clearly as I'd heard in the past. Maybe due to the increased distortion? I don't know. But I have the Kansas "Know Place Like Home" vid, and that's where I first noticed the increase in distortion; his tone wasn't as clear as it had been in the past, and not like any other recording I have of SMB or Dregs. Maybe it's a "live" thing, I don't know. I do remember seeing a recent one where his picking action had changed some. I'll see if I can find the recent interview where he was talking about his picking problems.

I've never met him, but he seems like a nice guy from all the interviews and stories I've read. A little crazy (practicing while driving with his knees, or while the plane was on autopilot), but definitely dedicated to his art. Dregs of the Earth was my first real exposure to him, and I found it mesmerizing.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well, I'm sorry, but I'd have to go back and listen to a bunch of this stuff to remember exactly what video showed what (I've slept since then). I just remembered that he seems to be using more distortion than he used to, and all the notes weren't popping out as clearly as I'd heard in the past. Maybe due to the increased distortion? I don't know. But I have the Kansas "Know Place Like Home" vid, and that's where I first noticed the increase in distortion; his tone wasn't as clear as it had been in the past, and not like any other recording I have of SMB or Dregs. Maybe it's a "live" thing, I don't know. I do remember seeing a recent one where his picking action had changed some. I'll see if I can find the recent interview where he was talking about his picking problems.

I've never met him, but he seems like a nice guy from all the interviews and stories I've read. A little crazy (practicing while driving with his knees, or while the plane was on autopilot), but definitely dedicated to his art. Dregs of the Earth was my first real exposure to him, and I found it mesmerizing.
I think you're on to something there. I haven't checked out his Kansas stint. But the last time I saw the Steve Morse Band, Jerry Goodman was playing with him and it was, quite simply, shrill. Maybe it was the house, IDK. I'd seen both the Dixie Dregs and the SMB several times previously and it was never like that.

Anyway, sometimes bringing in the ace guitar player works better than others and I don't think I'd be thinking for Kansas or Deep Purple of Steve, or Joe for that matter, and I think it's because they both have such a really strong signature, or identity of their own... which either will either be a good fit or maybe not so much.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearFiddler View Post
I think you're on to something there. I haven't checked out his Kansas stint. But the last time I saw the Steve Morse Band, Jerry Goodman was playing with him and it was, quite simply, shrill. Maybe it was the house, IDK. I'd seen both the Dixie Dregs and the SMB several times previously and it was never like that.

Anyway, sometimes bringing in the ace guitar player works better than others and I don't think I'd be thinking for Kansas or Deep Purple of Steve, or Joe for that matter, and I think it's because they both have such a really strong signature, or identity of their own... which either will either be a good fit or maybe not so much.
If you listen to something like "Dregs of the Earth", then "Leftoverture", you'd hear some similarities in the compositional style. When Livgren left Kansas, most of the compositional style went with him. When I heard Morse had joined Kansas, I thought, "Great! Blend in his writing style plus the virtuoso guitar, and it should be incredible music." It didn't turn out that way at all, just standard 80s pop/rock fare. I was disappointed, and apparently, from interviews I've read, so was Morse.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
If you listen to something like "Dregs of the Earth", then "Leftoverture", you'd hear some similarities in the compositional style. When Livgren left Kansas, most of the compositional style went with him. When I heard Morse had joined Kansas, I thought, "Great! Blend in his writing style plus the virtuoso guitar, and it should be incredible music." It didn't turn out that way at all, just standard 80s pop/rock fare. I was disappointed, and apparently, from interviews I've read, so was Morse.
The compositional style might be a match, but, the virtuoso part is what sometimes isn't an easy fit, I think. He no doubt can cover Livgren's guitar parts, it just depends on what he brings to them. They strike me as pretty different guitar players, though.

No foolin... the guy with the album cover where their mouths are erased and they're all shirtless and that wrote, "Blood Sucking Leeches" was disappointed?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Pretty strong.

audioforce

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search