The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Volume Pedal (HI Z and LOW Z)
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Volume Pedal (HI Z and LOW Z)

Hi Guys, I m a bit confused regarding HI and LOW Z volume pedals, considering my setup. I ll explain:
I am aware that that are low and high Z volume pedals. One suits active pickups and the other passive. BOSS for example has these 2 types. I understand this if I use the volume pedal in the beginning of the chain, to the front of the amp, in other words, i connect the guitar to the volume pedal and the pedals and into amp input.
BUT this is not how I use it. I want to use it in the FX loop chain.
Makes a lot more sense to me, because i want it to act as a kind of attenuator really, and that s a good place to put it, without interfering with the input signal into the amp.
And within this scenario, Hi and Low Z doesnt really make sense to me anymore.
I have both active and passive pickup guitars.
Should i get a High Z or a Low Z type, to insert it into the loop?

Thank You !
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

You want the low impedance version. Impedance is unrelated to signal level, so even if you amp's loop is instrument level it will likely still be low Z.

Note that impedance is the measure of resistance to an alternating current. It is not specifically related to what type of pickups you use and is an important concept in all things audio.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thankx.....That s what i thought too, the low z.
Impedance is unrelated to signal level? Well, the difference in signal level when switchig from HI to low Z is hugeeeee on any soundcard input
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

As to volume pedals being promoted for either passive pickups or active pickups, I never really encountered that marketing stuff in the past.

For the first time in many decades,. I needed to buy a new volume pedal last week.

Just to cover all bases, I ordered the black anniversary Ernie ball pedal with the Kevlar string or whatever. Looks cool, responds the way I like, and handles passive or active pickups.....like as if it'll ever be an issue for me.

I dunno about marketing these days. But whatever....this pedal should work either way pickups-wise.

And in the past, with volume pedals of the previous century,. I'd stick them in all sorts of places....inserts on console, inserts on mic pre (old vtp1) and all kinds of other points where I wanted/needed to experiment.

I don't remember signals getting screwed up, no matter where I routed the quarter inch-to-rca patch cords to/from the volume pedals. Impedance certainly mismatched.....but it always worked.

Most insert loop points I historically encounter are unbalanced -10. +4 bal on xlrs or trs would be available too.....but I wouldn't use those at the console or on interfaces for volume pedal purposes.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellocet View Post
Thankx.....That s what i thought too, the low z.
Impedance is unrelated to signal level? Well, the difference in signal level when switchig from HI to low Z is hugeeeee on any soundcard input
I don't know how your soundcard inputs are labeled but you are probably experiencing the effects of plugging into a line input vs an instrument or mic input.

The signal coming out of a effects pedal or an amp's loop are very different in level yet they are both low impedance.
Old 1 week ago
Passive electric guitar pickups need to see 250~500k ohms for a volume pot. Everything else can use a 10k log pot. That includes active guitars.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search