The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Low output running synth through guitar pedal Workaround Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Low output running synth through guitar pedal Workaround

Ok, so i bought a guitar pedal that i really like but the issue is that the output is incredibly low when switched on!. It's so low it is useless, i can barely hear signal. I thought maybe something was wrong with it cause i always use a small stone nano phaser with no problem.

I just learnt (today after doing research) that some pedals can't pick up a line level. Now, is their a way around this?. Can i just get a Di box?...Will i get any unwanted hiss or hum using one?.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
The output from the pedal will need to be put into an instrument level interface. Note that your synth will be putting out line level so you will need to attenuate the signal there too.

Q. How do I hook up guitar pedals to my synth or keyboard? |

You didn't say what type of pedal you are trying to use but fuzz pedals won't act well because of impedance.Depending on what you are trying to do and what the pedal is you may need to use a reamp. Often it is just easier to find a pedal that supports line levels.

Do some reading on the differences between mic, instrument and the two different line levels will help.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkindler View Post
The output from the pedal will need to be put into an instrument level interface. Note that your synth will be putting out line level so you will need to attenuate the signal there too.

Q. How do I hook up guitar pedals to my synth or keyboard? |

You didn't say what type of pedal you are trying to use but fuzz pedals won't act well because of impedance.Depending on what you are trying to do and what the pedal is you may need to use a reamp. Often it is just easier to find a pedal that supports line levels.

Do some reading on the differences between mic, instrument and the two different line levels will help.
Thanks.

Its a tape echo pedal, just want to simply run my synth into it. Seems like a hassle to make it work, will need to spend more money just to use it. Like you said, i think its better i just get a line input pedal.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggindeep View Post
Thanks.

Its a tape echo pedal, just want to simply run my synth into it. Seems like a hassle to make it work, will need to spend more money just to use it. Like you said, i think its better i just get a line input pedal.
What kind of "tape echo" pedal? Does it have real tape?

What kind of synth? have you checked your cabling?

Usually if there's a level problem with a synth it's too much, not too little.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

is your synth mono or stereo? And the pedal?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I use DBX MC6 compressors for the front end of instruments of all types. They have line or inst level ins and 20 DB of clean gain - plus a full compliment of compression parameters if wanted. They're available on Ebay from time to time and are relatively inexpensive. Small and very versatile. I've managed to collect 4 of them and use them for guitar pedal rigs, bass rigs , recording and synth interfacing. They can be used in stereo or mono - and can be foot switchable bypass. Great units if you can find one.

Here is an Ebay link to one if interested : DBX MC6 Mini-Compresser. No Power Adaptor. FREE SHIPPING. | eBay
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search