The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fender Tube amp Reverb tank replacement
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Fender Tube amp Reverb tank replacement

My Fender Concert Reverb amp, Reverb is out and its the spring Reverb tank.

** Thanks for your help John

I found this out by tested the amp with my reverb tank from my Blues JR and it worked! (although the Accutronics Reverb tank on the Blues JR. is rather short)

By looking at the tank I see nothing obvious - do they "go bad"????

Anyway I need to buy a replacement.

Should I just try to buy the same one from Accutronics or are there "upgrade" versions of Reverb tanks?

The Accutronics is about 16 3/4" long and is stamped 4AB3C1B

I see Mod makes a compatible one and I am looking to get a good quality one for sure.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ty
Attached Thumbnails
Fender Tube amp Reverb tank replacement-p1040799.jpg   Fender Tube amp Reverb tank replacement-p1040800.jpg   Fender Tube amp Reverb tank replacement-p1040801.jpg  

Last edited by markustg; 6 days ago at 05:29 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by markustg View Post
My Fender Concert Reverb amp, Reverb is out and its the spring Reverb tank.

** Thanks for your help John

I found this out by tested the amp with my reverb tank from my Blues JR and it worked! (although the Accutronics Reverb tank on the Blues JR. is rather short)

By looking at the tank I see nothing obvious - do they "go bad"????

Anyway I need to buy a replacement.

Should I just try to buy the same one from Accutronics or are there "upgrade" versions of Reverb tanks?

The Accutronics is about 16 3/4" long and is stamped 4AB3C1B

I see Mod makes a compatible one and I am looking to get a good quality one for sure.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ty
The Accutronics brand is generally recognized as the best. However there are several things that need consideration.

First, you need a tank with transducers that match your amp, impedance-wise. There are several variations to accommodate the various tube and transistor designs, so be sure to check that you order one for tube Fender amps. Should be 8 ohm input, 2250 output.

Second, there are two and three spring versions, and short and long tanks. You will probably want the same type that is in your amp unless you feel adventurous.

Third, they come in short, medium, and long reverb times. Either get the same type as in your amp, or change it it you want a longer or shorter reverb.

Fourth, there is mounting orientation. Since the springs in a reverb tank sag somewhat the tanks are tuned at the factory to compensate. Orientations are springs up, springs down, side up, and end up. You need the one that's the same as the way your tank in mounted, which on a Fender should be springs down.

There should be a part or model number stamped on you tank which can be encoded to tell you what your specs are.

There are sources online such as Amplified Parts that sell tanks and can help you with your selection.

Last edited by John Eppstein; 6 days ago at 06:43 PM..
Old 6 days ago

You named the two choices you have today. I don't think there's much difference between them besides paint vs plating the shell.

As long as the impedances for send and return transducers are the same, you can get any length and number of springs you like. Since they aren't that expensive, getting a couple and trying them may be worthwhile...

-tINY

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search