The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
bass preamp and DI for home recording
Old 3rd March 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by numero6 View Post
I just recorded some bass tracks for someone. My Fender Precison with flatwound strings, played softly above the neck into a Neve RNDI delivered a wonderfully fat and pillowy bass track that carries the whole tune.
have Shelford Channel know what you mean--supposed to be very similar to RNDI.

Love it for the electric cello.
Attached Files

Shelford DI, Fretless.wav (6.83 MB, 511 views)

Old 13th June 2020
Lives for gear

I bought a REDDI a week or so ago and have used it to record my P-bass into an Apollo Twin X on several recordings of different styles of pop music. It punches/fattens up the bass more than my Aguilar DB900 or Daking/Great River preamp DIs ever did. It's a nice improvement over the interface's DI. Judging from online demos, I'd probably like the RNDI as well.
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyB View Post
Palmer Pocket Bass Pre-amp is a very nice little box that tucks into your guitar case, sits on uour desk or the floor and could be a really good option? Lots of drive and EQ options, good for practice (headphones? ), gigging or recording...
Hi Toby,
I´d like to ask if you have ever tried the Palmer Pocket Bass per-amp via DI Out on a mixer or interface with a global phantom power. I´ve bought it a few days ago, but left a bit surprised when I got an answer from Palmer Support that this pre-amp can NOT be used with the phantom power on as it may damage it. Have you ever had it connected to any device (mixer or interface) with a phantom power switched on?
Thanks
Old 1st December 2020
Lives for gear

I haven't... I have run it into a PA and into an interface with phantom options, but never used the power, left it switched off ... not got anything with global ad you describe ...
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doldy View Post
... I got an answer from Palmer Support that this pre-amp can NOT be used with the phantom power on as it may damage it.
Wow, good to know. You don't see many pieces of pro gear these days that don't play well with phantom. Certain wireless receivers, and the Zulu are all that I can think of. But even those will just act up, they won't be damaged.
📝 Reply