The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lightweight short scale bass for kid
Old 26th August 2018
Lives for gear

Lightweight short scale bass for kid

Hi!

I'm looking for some suggestions for a good quality, lightweight, short scale bass for my daughter. She's recently started playing my bass, a Music Man Sterling and she loves the sound and feel (proud Gearslutz dad!), But since she's a small ten year old girl, it's pretty heavy and awkward for her.

I'm looking for a bass that's not junky, but is considerably lighter, until she grows into my bass.

Many thanks!
Old 26th August 2018
Gear Addict
Ibanez GSRM20 miKro? Not terribly expensive.
Old 26th August 2018
Lives for gear

Was gonna say the Ibanez above? Or a Fender Mustang bass?

Or I’ve got a Daisy Rock (schecter marketed for girls if you’re not familiar) Elite Bass which is actually a pretty nice bass...32” scale not 30” if that’s a deal breaker?

Gretsch Junior Jet Bass for something a little different?
Old 27th August 2018
Gear Nut

Fender JB62SS, pictured next to a regular size Jazz Bass:

Although they were only made in Japan so you usually have to find them on Ebay.
Old 27th August 2018
Lives for gear
A ukulele Bass is an obvious instrument to try out. They sound more like Double Basses than Electric Basses with their polyurethane strings. There are a small number of steel strung ukulele basses out there which you may come across if you look.
Old 27th August 2018
Gear Guru

Is there a modern equivalent of the old Danelectro/Sears short-scale? I had one as a teenager, and its in the top five of stuff I was an idiot to sell. Long list, btw.
Old 27th August 2018
Lives for gear

People seem to like the Squier Jaguar Bass SS (short scale version).

I love my Bronco Bass but it's an especially light and friendly one. Most of them are less so.
Old 27th August 2018
Fender Mustang/Bronco bass. Hofner Beatle Bass (cheap version). Danelectro Shorthorn bass.

Danelectro single cut SS bass RI. Danelectro Bass Guitar - '56 Single Cut Bass | Reverb
Old 27th August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
danelectro-bass-guitar-56-single-cut-bass-dolphin-headstock-short-scale]Danelectro Bass Guitar - '56 Single Cut Bass | Reverb[/url]
Yep, that's the one. Looks exactly same. The most beautiful thing you could possible make from Masonite, 2X4's and swimming-pool safety tape.

I'd take that over the Hofner any day. More solid, a more defined sound, sits better in your lap. Fits great with acoustic guitars. And just the thing when what you need on the bottom is a "tuba attitude."

Which is to say, Dad, get your kid one of these and it's for you, too. Like when Homer bought Marge a bowling ball.
Old 27th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Yep, that's the one. Looks exactly same. The most beautiful thing you could possible make from Masonite, 2X4's and swimming-pool safety tape.

I'd take that over the Hofner any day. More solid, a more defined sound, sits better in your lap. Fits great with acoustic guitars. And just the thing when what you need on the bottom is a "tuba attitude."

Which is to say, Dad, get your kid one of these and it's for you, too. Like when Homer bought Marge a bowling ball.
Not sure if I agree about the most beautiful thing - I'm kinda partial to the longhorns, myself - but there is something to be said for the classic single cut...

Last edited by John Eppstein; 28th August 2018 at 08:38 AM..
Old 28th August 2018
Lives for gear

Those Danelectros really had their day in the sun in recording studios in the Sixties.

Last edited by lame pseudonym; 28th August 2018 at 04:00 AM..
Old 28th August 2018
Lives for gear

I have a Rondo guitar and it cost almost nothing and it's terribly nice.
I don't like Jazz Basses but if you do....

SX Ursa 2 JR RN ALDER CAR Short Scale w/Bag - RondoMusic.com
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by facej View Post
Thought I should close out this question: I took my daughter to Guitar Center over on Westwood in L.A. last fall and she tried out about five different basses. The Ibanez miKro was the winner. She loved the weight, the look and most importantly the tone.

The best part was that, after 2 years of saving up her allowance, she bought herself the bass! That's commitment!

Thanks again for these suggestions!

Dan
Old 5th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Is there a modern equivalent of the old Danelectro/Sears short-scale? I had one as a teenager, and its in the top five of stuff I was an idiot to sell. Long list, btw.
I believe that a modern version (with improved bridge) is still made, although you might need to order it.

Baritone & Bass | Danelectro Guitars
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

I got my GF a Fender Jaguar SS bass a couple of years ago. It was $170 from Sweetwater.

I replaced the pots, it had those tiny ultra cheap controls.

I put the same strings on it that Stanley Clark uses (on his short scale custom Alembic).

The Jaguar SS bass is fun to play and sounds good for an under $500 instrument.

Good luck and good music to all!
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by facej View Post
I got one of these and put the EMG Geezer Butler PJ passive set in. Plays and sounds great!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search