The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rookie basic pedalboard questions Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Rookie basic pedalboard questions

I've never owned a pedalboard before, I have maybe 7 pedals total, 5 of which i use here and there... the question I have is... if i buy a smallish pedalboard, will it have a power supply included? so I can just plug the whole thing in and never worry about batteries again?
I have a volume, double sized delay pedal, chorus and a couple flavors of distortion... and a wah which i use so seldom i probably wouldn't include it
any recommendations for something solid ( will not be touring anytime soon )
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by patshep View Post
I've never owned a pedalboard before, I have maybe 7 pedals total, 5 of which i use here and there... the question I have is... if i buy a smallish pedalboard, will it have a power supply included? so I can just plug the whole thing in and never worry about batteries again?
I have a volume, double sized delay pedal, chorus and a couple flavors of distortion... and a wah which i use so seldom i probably wouldn't include it
I had other pedalboards that came with power supply, but none of them were nearly as great as the voodoo labs pedal power 2 plus. It does not hum or make noise.
I just Velcro my pedals to a piece of plywood (clear coat finish), and it's great.
Here is a video that shows it in about 1 minute.

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 3 days ago
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

this discussion is interesting, however what do you recommend for a simple pedal solution?
any agreement?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
this discussion is interesting, however what do you recommend for a simple pedal solution?
any agreement?
The voodoo labs power supply can be mounted to a Pedaltrain...they also have a Pedaltrain mini that is smaller if you can fit all your pedals on it.

As to other options, I only had a Boss pedalboard and power supply, and a gator model.
The power supplies on those would sometimes hum so much, would need to use back-up plan of 9v batteries.
The voodoo labs power supply has no hum or noise, really great.

Below is a video of a guy setting up the powertrain board. Hope this helps.

Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, to answer your actual question - no, not usually. With most pedalboards, you will also have to buy a separate power supply.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

so we are talking $200 for a basic pedalboard, wtf
i guess it would pay itself off in like 4 years of not buying batteries
ain't nothing in this life cheap
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Voodoo Labs

I'll second the Voodoo Labs P/S. I've owned two (I'm running a Mondo now) they work great, decent American company. One Spots are noisy, OK as a backup but not good enough for regular use.

Lots of factory made pedal boards are available. Mine is 3/8 shop plywood built to accommodate my pedals and the arrangement I like. My board is wired with George L's (if that matters to you).

There are places to cut corners, but don't skimp on a power supply.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I've got a Pedaltrain Classic 1 with a Truetone 1 SPOT PRO CS12 with 12 Isolated Outputs mounted underneath it with the included brackets. I also have the flight case in case I ever get back into regular gigging.

It's a really solid rig. From the sound of what you have collected something like that would probably work for you too.

I also have a massive oak pedalboard I built from scratch that is too big for most things, and a tiny slab of reclaimed maple that I use currently for bass pedals.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

My pedalboard needs are such that none of the commercial ones will work. Too much stuff, too convoluted (I run separate acoustic and electric paths simultaneously). So I build my own on plywood, with the rear raised a little. I am currently revamping the power supply scenario, so that each supply will be isolated. I'm using one-spots, but there is still noise, so I'm going on to more robust and isolated supplies.

Power supply schemes and isolation are big, when trying to get rid of noise. When using pedals from different manufacturers, this instantly becomes a lot more important...
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I've got a Pedaltrain Classic 1 with a Truetone 1 SPOT PRO CS12 with 12 Isolated Outputs mounted underneath it with the included brackets. I also have the flight case in case I ever get back into regular gigging.

It's a really solid rig. From the sound of what you have collected something like that would probably work for you too.

I also have a massive oak pedalboard I built from scratch that is too big for most things, and a tiny slab of reclaimed maple that I use currently for bass pedals.
That would be plenty for me probably, I guess i will just shell out the $200, I especially need one now because I replaced my volume pedal with a Hilton one, which uses a power supply and I use the volume pedal more than anything

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I"ve been playing for many years and studying many as well, but never got around to this before, appreciate the help
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
since i'm sorta busy and sorta lazy, how about just getting this :
Voodoo Lab Dingbat Small Pedalboard with Bag, with Pedal | Reverb
Didn't know Voodoo made this. Yeah, if your pedals will fit and there are enough ports for the pedals you own this should work fine. My first Voodoo PS was the 2+. It worked great but I ran out of ports. Moved up to the Mondo and now it's maxed out!

If it fits your budget, good choice.
Old 17 hours ago
Lives for gear

Yeah if it's big enough for you, sure why not

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search